Skip to main content
Topic: Gulf Stream Hydraulic Slide IN/OUT Switches. (Read 3593 times) previous topic - next topic

Gulf Stream Hydraulic Slide IN/OUT Switches.

Yahoo Message Number: 15239
Those of you with Equalizer Systems Hydraulic Slides. My slide switches started acting up during our return trip from AZ this year. I could hear the pump running but slide would not move. Checked out all the wiring and could not find any problems. I had a JR Products 12835 switch that I stuck in place of the original switch. First problem I ran into is the original switch has 3/16 quick connector tabs and the JR Products switch is 1/4". Made a set of adapters to convert to 1/4", When I tried the JR Products switch slide went in and out faster than it has ever. I then put 1/4" quick connectors on all the wires for both front and rear slide. When I went to screw the new switches in place. The larger quick connectors would not allow switches to mount flush to wall. Made a 3/8" spacer to mount both switches on. Now both slides move in and out better than they ever have,
Here is the switch I purchased.
Amazon.com: JR Products 12835 White DPDT Mom-On/Off/Mom-On Switch: Automotive
Best
Ron Hall

Re: Gulf Stream Hydraulic Slide IN/OUT Switches.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15240
Great info Ron thanks. I've always thought that it was just in my head but it seems my slides run better when I depress the rocker switch just slightly until it very first engages and hold it there rather then depressing all the way. Maybe there is actually something to that.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15254
I went threw times of pushing lightly on switch until slide started moving. That worked for awhile. Then when that didn't work anymore. I started looking for a replacement switch. I should mention that this is the third switch since I have owned MH. Front side switch was replaced at PDI. Then again about 3 years ago. Both of them were original type switch. Could not find the original type switch on the internet during my search this time.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 15583
My slide switches on my 6340 Endura are behaving similar to what you reported. How do I remove them from the wall so that I can access the wiring connectors. I bought the new switches; as you know they have six terminals. I am assuming the connections will be similar to the original switches. As always thanks for your help

Doug Brothers

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 15584
The covers for the switches have to be pried off. Then guess what. The pins that hold covers on break off. Need to glue on or replace switches.
While my slides have not worked better than ever. The rear slide failed to move again a few weeks ago. Had to go to valve pack under MH and turn screw on the valve to get slide to move. Then it worked OK for a few days. Failed again. This time I went to valve pack and switched ground wire on slide valves. Everything was working again. Tried again 2 days later. No work. Added a new ground wire to a ground point on MH. Everything working again. But that only lasted a few more days. This time I went back to valve pack and checked all wiring. There are 2 connectors in wiring harness to valves. One is a six connector. This feeds jacks. The other is a 4 pin connector. This is for slides. When I opened this connector found corrosion on pins. Cleaned them up and sprayed with Hosa D5S-6 CAIG DeoxIT. It helped. Removed valve and checked with a remote power supply. Valve worked OK. Put valve back in place. Next day slide failed again. Went back to 4 pin connector. On the male pin side spread pins to make a better connection with female pins. Not sure this is the fix. But slide has not failed going from warm to freezing weather to wet weather and hot weather. Got my fingers crossed that is/was the problem.
If slide fails again. I plan to eliminate the 4 pin connector.
There is another connector at switch end of wire harness. I plan to check it for corrosion in next few days.
So while my slides work better than ever. The rear slide seems to be causing me continued problems.
Before doing the switches check the 4 pin connector and ground at valves.
One other thing. Ground wires for valves start at first jack valve. Then jumpers tie other 4 valves. With rear slide last one on jumper harness. I put new ground wire to rear slide valve. This gives all valves a good solid ground.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 15585
I'm only 14 months of ownership into my 2005 Seneca... All these threads make me want to sell this thing and go back to hotel rooms... Ugh... Good luck gentlemen...sounds like we may need it..
Chris

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 15586
Chris not to fear!  I believe the slides on your 2005 Seneca are driven by a 12 volt gear motor instead of the hydraulic system Ron is describing. MY 2007 Seneca, 34SS has gear motors driving the slides.

Bobby

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 15587
Gang, I am developing a simple theory for anything electrical. I am going to call this

Rule 0: Check the ground.
As I look back across many issues -

• Headlights
  • Intermittent Stairs ...
I was stopped in Ely NV, and I did not realize what was going on until it was too late. The fellow next to me was manually putting up his 5th wheel jacks. Unfortunately he was done with the manual part when I suggest we measure - Measured voltage at the battery 13.8. Measured voltage at the jacks - 10.0. Running a direct ground would have saved him some cursing (how I became aware of the issue).
We do not know the final chapter in Ron's saga, but it may again prove to be Rule 0. The ground is the first thing to check and may very well turn out to be the first thing to fix.
That said, my theories generally suck.
Best
Kevin (Real) McCoy [@KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006;
"Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 15592
I agree. I reread the document for the slides. The tech said at the end, check the battery output and the Grounds
Good advice Doug

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 15597
I would much rather debug a problem with high amp draw like slide motors than the low amp solenoids. Had below freezing temperatures this morning. Slides worked like a charm. Still got my fingers crossed.
Best
Ron Hall.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 15599
Would like to ask a different question ofor you. Do you think 1200 is a lot for new back break calipers and brakes and a sensor.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 15600
On EBAY brake rotors are $180 each, Calipers are $250 each. Sensors are $30.
Parks are the big price. About $900. If you are getting it done for $1200 sounds like a good price.
What makes you think you need them replaced?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 15603
Go to Rockauto.com. You can buy name brand parts there for dirt cheap. I have used them for years with 95% good results. i.e. calipers are $60-$100 each, and pads are $20-$60 each pair.....

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 15604
The brakes went to the floor, I pumped them and stopped. Left back one was real hot and smelled. So the repairman suggested doing both. The abs light came on and brake light also.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 15605
What seems to happen is the brake lines on the rear start to break down on the inside and let moisture get into the system. Make sure they replace all 4 rubber lines on the truck.

Kendrick

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 15607
Same thing happened to me on our last trip (lights came on and the brake went to the floor). It turned out to be the driver's side rear brake line...sprung a leak. It was a quick and easy fix.
Best of luck!
Jay

Jay Hitaffer

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 15608
Interesting. That is one of the reasons to do a brake fluid change every 3 or 4 years, Mine are on the list for next year again.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 15617

I replaced all switches for slides and found the bed rm slide not moving out (alittle) on it's own anymore :0)
Tom edelman 6331 diesel

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 15618
Good. My rear slide still a little bit of movement when from slide is moved. But the switch replacement helped.
Update on my rear slide. I have not had another fail to move fault with my rear slide. Since spreading male pins on 4 wire connector next to pump and valves. At this time I am calling the problems fixed.
I cannot believe how well slides move since all my repairs. Switches seems to be what made this happen. But since switches only operate solenoids and valves I do not understand why this works.
Best
Ron Hall

Koni vs bilstein shocks

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 15625
Has anyone run both of the above shocks to be able to describe how each performed?

Re: Koni vs bilstein shocks

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 15627
My 2007 Greyhawk 32SS came with Bilsteins and that's what stayed on there for 7 years. They had gotten a little "soft" by then and I replaced them with Konis. There was such a significant difference

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 15628
The Konis for my 32SS were actually cheaper than the Bilsteins. It may vary between gas and diesel chassis, I don't know. I also managed to find them during a good sale.

Take care,
Greg

On Oct 21, 2016, at 9:33 PM, David Houck  [SuperCrvgroup] SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I replaced the stock shocks with Bilste

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 15629
I put Koni's on our Fourwinds Funmover and it made a BIG differance

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 15630
Had a friend that had run both and said that both shocks handled rough roads pretty much the same, but that the Koni was much better at handling rocking.  I went with the Koni and they did greatly help eliminate rocking and push from big rigs. Very happy with my choice.