Skip to main content
Topic: Gulf Stream Hydraulic Slide IN/OUT Switches. (Read 3606 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Koni vs bilstein shocks

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 15631
I went with konis on a 35gs..cant say how they compare to bilstein but in addition to sway bars and spring work it made a big difference. Still doesn't drive nearly as nice as a pusher with air bags.
Chris Mize

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 15632
Try a company called liquidspring. Put it on my international chassis and it rides better than airbags. They use this on command vehicles and ambulaances

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 15633
Thanks for the responses everyone! I think the Koni's for an extra $400 sounds like it's worth it. Can't afford the liquidspring.....

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 15634
Well - we all need Shock Therapy for buying an RV in the first place. ;-)
To maintain polite discourse Emily Post suggests avoiding the discussion of Sex, Politics, and Religion. Shocks fits in the religion category and the society for the preservation of the faith - also known as the inquisition - tortured many over this question:
for the RV is it Koni or Bilstein?

Before we go any further lets look at the fundamental -

A suspension system is the combination of tires, tire air, springs, shock absorbers and linkages. These components have different jobs in providing a good ride.

From an improvement category - Shocks are one component in a suite of actions to improve our chassis - these include

• Springs / Airbags
  • Stabilizers
  • Tire load range and air pressure
Dampening bumps once they are in the system does no good if your springs are flat. The springs job is to compensate for irregularities in the road.

Just remember that the spring is to take out the bump, and the shock absorber is to reduce propagation of the bump. That is the shock stabilizes the ride. And stop the spring mass equation through dampening.
Theory aside - and just focusing on this one part - my opinion -

In a comprehensive plan to improve your ride, you cannot beat the Koni's in my opinion.  The ride, big rig passing, stopping sway and "rock and roll" - a GREAT improvement. I did the shock change in isolation from other changes, and alone it made a great improvement in these specific areas.
AND my wife was happier with the ride. The most important measure.
Best
Kevin (AKA - the guy who drug his sewer hose through the City of El Paso TX and survived to tell about it.)

Kevin (Real) McCoy [@KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006;
"Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #29
Yahoo Message Number: 15635
I have to mention that Dave asked my opinion before posting here. Since I have never tried Koni's my opinion was for the other brand.
Rest of the story. I still have my original OEM shocks. Offered them to Dave for free. They only have 9k miles on them. Dave lives less than 40 miles from me. So there is not much cost to pick them up. Such a great offer and he ops for spending $800 for Koni's. Good choice Dave.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #30
Yahoo Message Number: 15636
I hear ya Ron. But even if the koni's are only a small improvement in sway/rocking control, it would be worth it for me since I plan on owning this rig for 10 years and I will be towing a 12K enclosed trailer.....

I try to do the same thing with my race truck's shocks - the shock responds more stiffly to low frequency inputs like swaying/rocking, but are somewhat softer like a normal shock for higher speed bump inputs.

I just didn't know if Koni was able to achieve what they were trying to do, but it sounds like they did....

Time (and $'s) will tell.....

Reply #31
Yahoo Message Number: 15637
Greg, are you certain that yours came with Bilsteins. Mine didn't and I was considering adding them. I looked through the brochure and the GM specs and no where are Bitseins mentioned and they are not on any option list - GM or Jayco. Anyone else get Bilsteins with their Jayco? I'm going to have to look through my photos to see if any include the shocks.

Don

Reply #33
Yahoo Message Number: 15639
For what it's worth, I ordered my Koni's from www.ultrarvproducts.com. Their prices were cheaper by a lot and the shipping was free, so it only ended up being $640 to our door for all 4. They are worth every penny in my opinion.

For our 2008 Seneca 35GS the part numbers were:
8805-1023 fronts
8805-1002 rears

Shawn

Reply #35
Yahoo Message Number: 15641
Dave I hope you did not take my comments wrong. The OEM shocks are a joke. There is a smiley face if you are looking at post on Yahoo.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #36
Yahoo Message Number: 15642
You calling me a liar, boy! That's why we don't let you in the country for more than a few days a year :-)

Yup, Bilsteins for sure. I know because I kept them for a while after I had the new ones put on, per Koni's instructions. My 3/4 ton Chevy pickup had them too, but that was before the Kodiak.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #37
Yahoo Message Number: 15643
I'm running konis on the front and bilsteins on rear. On 05 endura with deisel. Has been great since they were put on two years ago.
Darrell Liddell

Reply #39
Yahoo Message Number: 15645
Sniff sniff. No, but I might be calling you blind unless you got a much better deal than I did. Or, is it possible that your dealer installed them after they got delivery and put it on the lot before you purchased? We ordered ours and there was no option listed for Bilsteins

Does this look like a Bilstein to anyone? If it is they must have had a line that they kept their name and colors off. If it is a Bilstein then I'd say go for the Koni's because I was not in love with these shocks. Interestingly, when Jayco does put Bilsteins on (which they are doing on their Class A gassers)

This is one of several photos I have of my shocks on my 2007 32SS.

Don

Re: Jounce Bumpers

Reply #40
Yahoo Message Number: 15648
Has anyone replaced the front jounce bumpers with anything other than the oem jounce bumper?