Skip to main content
Topic: Running hot (Read 800 times) previous topic - next topic

Running hot

Yahoo Message Number: 15477
I've been lurking for a while and have learned lots from all of you. I've been looking through the archive for information on my rig running hot but haven't found much like my issue so thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas.
I have a 2008 Dutchmen Kodiak with the Duramax 5500, only 18,000 miles on it. About two years ago I had the rig overheat and the shop said that the fan clutch was bad. Had it replaced and then had to have the radiator replaced when I think the shop put a hole in the radiator and it developed a slow leak. Ever since then the rig runs hot on hills, doesn't have any issues other times. The temp gauge will get close to the red line and stay there until I crest the hill and then come right down. I'm not sure the fan is coming on when it should but I had a shop look at it a couple days ago and they said the fan seemed to run okay. Unfortunately they didn't get to drive it on hills, they just blocked off the front of the radiator to get the temp to go up as they drove it and said the fan came on and the engine cooled down.
Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan

Re: Running hot

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15478
Are you running in a fairly high rpm when going up hill? If so, it might be an issue with your tensioner pulley on your serpentine belt.

I had a 2002 F250 w/ a 7.3 diesel and it did the same thing when towing heavy loads up long grades. Turned out that the tensioner pulley was losing tension. At higher Rpms, the serpentine belt would slip. This would cause the belt to not have enough pressure on the fan clutch pulley and not spin the fan.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15480
The engine temperature gauge is not very accurate on the dash. Getting close to red is OK. When going up hills/mountains. Do not lug the engine. I always drop out of OD using the switch on dash. Then keep rpm's below 3,000 rpms. My Scangauge II gives a very accurate read of engine temperatures.
When engine gets hot enough to turn radiator fan on. You should here a added roar to sound of engine running. There have been some problems with the newer Duramax engine. They have a electronically controlled fan. Maybe other with this newer type fan will add to the subject.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 15485
I maybe wrong but I think the 08 has an electronically controlled fan. A tech I I would be needed to check out the operation of that fan.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 15486
Andrew thanks for the reply. Not running that high RPMs (2500-3000) but will have that checked when I get to a shop.
Alan

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 15487
Andrew thanks for the reply. Not running that high RPMs (2500-3000) but will have that checked when I get to a shop.
Alan

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 15489
Ron - you've given me a good excuse to get a Scan Gauge, been thinking about it for a while. I can hear the fan roar at times but it seems to come on when pulling small hills but once pulling a longer hill with RPMs above 2000 I really can't hear it, strange. It does have an electronically controlled fan so also need to find a shop that can do a diagnostic check on that.
Alan

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 15490
Ron - you've given me a good excuse to get a Scan Gauge, been thinking about it for a while. I can hear the fan roar at times but it seems to come on when pulling small hills but once pulling a longer hill with RPMs above 2000 I really can't hear it, strange. It does have an electronically controlled fan so also need to find a shop that can do a diagnostic check on that.
Alan