Skip to main content
Topic: Short in refrig circuit (Read 757 times) previous topic - next topic

Short in refrig circuit

Yahoo Message Number: 15466
Hello,

Recently the 15 amp breaker, 50 amp service, that controls the circuit labeled "refrig" popped and would not reset. I removed the breaker and inserted another breaker and it popped. I unplugged he refrig and it continued to pop. Finally, I removed the wires from the refrig plug in and it still popped.

I have searched but am unable to locate any other item on that circuit.

The same results occur when using shore power or the gen. It makes be believe something like the insulation has worn off the black wire making a direct ground. As the refrig is located in the slide out, 6362, I have yet to determine how the wire is routed to the refrig.

Maybe it comes out of the bottom of the power control center thru the floor then across the truck frame between the floor and the metal cover plates then enters the slide up thru and near the shower and is simply lying under the drivers slide out on the floor as there are a group of wires in this area. If that is the case, it certainly would be easy to scrape a wire.

At this point, it appears that the wire is exposed in some strange location requiring running a new circuit.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Don

Re: Short in refrig circuit

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15467
at this point I would just pull in new copper, based on what you've said you've done... if you want to be SURE, get a multimeter, disconnect the black wire at the breaker, and check resistance to ground, if less than 10 Meg ohm you've got a short. in theory you might be able to bind one wire to the other with good tape or a messenger line, and just pull it through.
YIS
Morrigan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15471
I had a recall on the refrigerator for a fire hazard back a few years. The fix was anchoring the 125 volt Romex line feeding the refrigerator so that it wouldn't come in contact with the hot coils of the refrigerator. This could be causing a short or ground on the refrigerator circuit.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 15473
On my slide the power cord runs inside one of the slide bars that slide runs in and out on. With slide in out position check the wiring. If you need to replace. Use SO type cord.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: short

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 15472
I'm a marine electrician instructor... it's sort of what I do.

From: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com  on behalf of Donald Gryder dgryder@... [SuperCrvgroup]
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 4:15 PM
To: W LEHMAN morrigan_graham@... [SuperCrvgroup]
Subject: [SuperCrvgroup] short

Great idea.

Thanks,

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 15507
Hello,
Since our last exchange, I have searched and found several connections
coming from the generator loose and have spent time correcting this
situation. However, now I find that one leg coming from the gen seems
to be producing no power. The breakers were turned off and back on
but still no power on one side.
Can you advise why one leg loses power?
Thanks,
Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 15508
Our generators produce 120 volts only. The 50 amp is devieded between the 2 circuit breakers on front of generator. Then it goes to transfer switch. iI would check transfer switch first. Then check where wires come out of generator.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 15509
Have you checked Onan manual in the files section of this forum?
Best
Ron Hall