Skip to main content
Topic: New member (Read 1117 times) previous topic - next topic

Yahoo Message Number: 7972
We normally have not announced a new member. We leave that up to the new member.

This one is unusual. I just approved the following:

The following person would like to join the KodiakChassisClassC group:
Email address: rschmidt34787 rschmidt34787@...>

Comment from user:
recent buyer of a 2011 ridgeview built on a Kodiac chassis

This unit no longer appears on the Forest River web site and frankly, I've never seen one or heard of anyone owning one. Of course now someone will tell me one of our group owns one (but if he does, it has been kept a secret :) )

So, hopefully rschmidt will enlighten us on the unit. The model year looks interesting as well - 2011 - must be a 2008 or 2009 chassis though.

Here is a model of the Ridgeway: http://www.rvguide.com/specs/forest-river/class-c/2011/ridgeview/360ts.html in case you are interested.

Don

ps. FYI. I just bought a Forest River product this morning. Not a Ridgeview - but rather a Wildwood DLX 426-2B trailer (40 ft 5 in) to put on our second lot in Florida. It will be used for our son Phil who some of you have met, and family visitors. Now, Phil won't get evicted and have to bunk with us in the park model when relatives arrive (it has a bunkhouse with a toilet, sink and shower and external door) and I won't have to drive the MH to FLA and back every winter and play weather watcher. If we decide to tie it down and skirt it (insurance will be another story) then Grumpy won't be able to visit and park on our second lot. :( (Sorry Dave, just had to do it.)

Re: New member

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7974
, Don Leslie  wrote:
We normally have not announced a new member. We leave that up to the new member.

Email address: rschmidt34787

Comment from user:
recent buyer of a 2011 ridgeview built on a Kodiac chassis

This unit no longer appears on the Forest River web site and frankly, I've never seen one or heard of anyone owning one. Of course now someone will tell me one of our group owns one (but if he does, it has been kept a secret :) )

So, hopefully rschmidt will enlighten us on the unit. The model year looks interesting as well - 2011 - must be a 2008 or 2009 chassis though.

Here is a model of the Ridgeway: http://www.rvguide.com/specs/forest-river/class-c/2011/ridgeview/360ts.html in case you are interested.

Don

ps. FYI. I just bought a Forest River product this morning. Not a Ridgeview - but rather a Wildwood DLX 426-2B trailer (40 ft 5 in) to put on our second lot in Florida. It will be used for our son Phil who some of you have met, and family visitors. Now, Phil won't get evicted and have to bunk with us in the park model when relatives arrive (it has a bunkhouse with a toilet, sink and shower and external door) and I won't have to drive the MH to FLA and back every winter and play weather watcher. If we decide to tie it down and skirt it (insurance will be another story) then Grumpy won't be able to visit and park on our second lot. :( (Sorry Dave, just had to do it.)

well thanks for the intro, 1st let me say Hello, the ridgeview is our 3rd attempt in as many years to find the perfect balance of needs and wants, I hope this is it, next let me address the Ridgeview, from the start it was a POS, never got to use it more than 1 day without something breaking or failing, the dealer finally sent a letter to Forest River stating the the RV was beyond any shops ability to repair and should be returned to the factory. About 3 weeks ago Horizon transport showed up, sent by Forest River, and started the trek back to the plant in Indiana, unfortunaletly for the driver it did not make it, it broke down in Alabama. A week later the unit finally made it back to the manufacturer, they spent 2 weeks tearing it a part and rebuilding it as it should have been to start with, the RV was returned to us on the 28th of Oct. and an uneventful 7 day trip was had. The sad part is we camped near another 2011 Ridgeview and I had to stop by and talk to the owner, all I can say is I really feel sorry for him, his is far worse than mine was. Anyhow all seems to be well for mine as of now and will post some pics. if I can figure out how

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7975
Ouch. And I find this out a couple of hours after I do a deal for the Forest River Wildwood. I hope Forest River knows how to make trailers and what will be delivered next week by Lazydays is not a POS.

I think the lesson from your experience with the Ridgeview is that a potential buyer should only buy a unit that has had the royal treatment being rebuilt at the factory.

Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7976
, Don Leslie  wrote:
Ouch. And I find this out a couple of hours after I do a deal for the Forest River Wildwood. I hope Forest River knows how to make trailers and what will be delivered next week by Lazydays is not a POS.

I think the lesson from your experience with the Ridgeview is that a potential buyer should only buy a unit that has had the royal treatment being rebuilt at the factory.

Don

On 2011-11-14, at 2:30 PM, rschmidt34787 wrote:

well thanks for the intro, 1st let me say Hello, the ridgeview is our 3rd attempt in as many years to find the perfect balance of needs and wants, I hope this is it, next let me address the Ridgeview, from the start it was a POS, never got to use it more than 1 day without something breaking or failing, the dealer finally sent a letter to Forest River stating the the RV was beyond any shops ability to repair and should be returned to the factory. About 3 weeks ago Horizon transport showed up, sent by Forest River, and started the trek back to the plant in Indiana, unfortunaletly for the driver it did not make it, it broke down in Alabama. A week later the unit finally made it back to the manufacturer, they spent 2 weeks tearing it a part and rebuilding it as it should have been to start with, the RV was returned to us on the 28th of Oct. and an uneventful 7 day trip was had. The sad part is we camped near another 2011 Ridgeview and I had to stop by and talk to the owner, all I can say is I really feel sorry for him, his is far worse than mine was. Anyhow all seems to be well for mine as of now and will post some pics. if I can figure out how

I think you should be OK, my Forest river 5th wheel, a 36re touring edition, was rather trouble free for the 9 months that we owned it. it appears they usually correct all problems on the proceeding years after the new model comes out, It seems they actually listen to customers, I know on my 5th wheel they changed everything I hated the next model year. ours was a 2010, the 11's had everything I would have wanted in mine. Just make sure you keep a good relationship with your dealer as if you end up with a lemon, like mine, you have to initiate contact with Forest River, the dealer will not, but they will contact the dealer for their opinion.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7978
When I first saw that unit about a year ago I actually called our dealer (who also sells Forest River) if it was built for them by JAYCO. As Denny said very minor differences inside and almost identical paint scheme as our 35's.

Also the "free" parking was nice while it lasted...

Dave

PS sent a similar message earlier but it never went through (?) so if it shows up twice you know why.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 2:13 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] New member

Comment from user:
recent buyer of a
2011 ridgeview built on a Kodiac chassis

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7979
there is one major difference, your kitchen slide is a sturdy twin beam , the ridgeview has a hidden slide with rollers under the kitchen, the rollers were too small allowing the slide to drop almost 2 inches at the sink end, this is what they actually had to rebuild when mine went back to the factory, they had to redesign the slide system and add much larger rollers. I hope its fixed. also had major water leaks that caused the floor to sag after 1 month of use.

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 3:19 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] New member

When I first saw that unit about a year ago I actually called our dealer (who also sells Forest River) if it was built for them by JAYCO. As Denny said very minor differences inside and almost identical paint scheme as our 35's.

Dave

PS sent a similar message earlier but it never went through (?) so if it shows up twice you know why.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie

Comment from user:
recent buyer of a

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7980
When we were at McCormick I learned that Jayco cancelled a lot of Kodiak chassis it had ordered - and I suspect regretted it later based on demand. I also seem to recall that Forest River bought a lot of Kodiak chassis and I've always wondered where they went because I sure haven't seen any on the road or advertised by dealers.

Dave, not sure what we will do with the DLX from mid-April to late Oct. If we tie it down and skirt it, then it stays were it is. We might have it towed to our storage area for the summer. We have until April to make a decision.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7981
Forest river bought 18 of the Kodiaks and made ridgeviews out of them, they started life at 169,000, got mine for 109,000 so I am not too disappointed in its lack of quality, I did feel that maybe it should have lasted longer than 1 use before major defects showed up. Forest River just bought dynamax which will be their super c now, no more Ridgeviews, Gee I guess I have a collectors item LOL

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] New member

When we were at McCormick I learned that Jayco cancelled a lot of Kodiak chassis it had ordered - and I suspect regretted it later based on demand. I also seem to recall that Forest River bought a lot of Kodiak chassis and I've always wondered where they went because I sure haven't seen any on the road or advertised by dealers.

Dave, not sure what we will do with the DLX from mid-April to late Oct. If we tie it down and skirt it, then it stays were it is. We might have it towed to our storage area for the summer. We have until April to make a decision.

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 7986
FR bought Dynamax I've got to read my RV Business daily news closer. That was last January and I missed it. That is interesting.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 7987
Buffet buys everything if the price is right. J

Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 5:58 PM

FR bought Dynamax I've got to read my RV Business daily news closer. That was last January and I missed it. That is interesting.

On 2011-11-14, at 3:51 PM, robert schmidt wrote:

Forest river bought 18 of the Kodiaks and made ridgeviews out of them, they started life at 169,000, got mine for 109,000 so I am not too disappointed in its lack of quality, I did feel that maybe it should have lasted longer than 1 use before major defects showed up. Forest River just bought dynamax which will be their super c now, no more Ridgeviews, Gee I guess I have a collectors item LOL

center
To:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 3:39 PM

Don

On 2011-11-14, at 3:19 PM, Dave Sparke wrote:

Dave

From:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
To:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com

Comment from user:
recent buyer of a

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 7988
Like his comment today that he bought 5%+ of IBM.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8002
Hi all,

I am sending this message and copying friend Steve who has a Seneca and would like to join.
Steve, please see the email for the kodiak group and I think at the bottom of the message there is a link to join.
Thank you all
Mo
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®