Skip to main content
Topic: New member (Read 1970 times) previous topic - next topic

Yahoo Message Number: 13118
Someone over at OpenRoads suggested I post here.

I've just purchased a 2008 Seneca 37FS and I've got a couple of questions.

1. Where are the inverter and charger? Owners manual is silent on the issue. What exactly does the inverter power when on? Owners manual silent on this too. At 400 watts continuous, it sure can't run the fridge or AC.

2. Towing is rated at 8,000 pounds. Are these rigs rated like pick ups where towing the rated maximum is akin to committing suicide by motor vehicle? Or can I really tow 8,000 pounds? I'd like to be able to tow our side by side (1,800 lbs) and our 66 LandCruiser (4,000? lbs) on a featherlight trailer, and the total is scary close to 8,000 lbs.

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions, looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Peter

Re: New member

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13119
Don't you mean 36FS? Even though the spec calls for a 400 watt inverter it may be 1800. They made a mid year change, but it was not reflected in the spec sheet. If you have 2 house batteries you probably have a 400, if 4 batteries you should have the 1800.

The 400 inverter will run 1 tv the 1800 will run both tv's and the micro. I have the 1800 and it is mounted to the bottom of the floor on the driver's side in the 2nd compartment. Not sure about the converter, but mine is under the wardrobe in the bedroom.

Where are you getting the 8,000? It is only rated at 26,000 GCVW and 22,000 GVW.

And welcome..

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13120
Thanks for the info. Yes, 36FS.

8,000 pounds is in the Operators Manual somewhere. Yours shows only a
4,000 pound towing capacity (assuming not load in the coach)?

Peter

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 13121

I can not imagine that your 36SS can tow 8k#s, or I would have bought one.. gvwr is 22000 and gcwr is 26000 leaving a max of 4k tow cap, as the coach will be at close or over gvwr and there is no room for the tongue weight.

Victor Burns
KI6IM
Jayco Embark TB390
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H - For Sale

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 13122
Peter, I think you are confusing the hitch capacity for towing capacity. While they say 8,000 lbs in your specs you probably have a 10,000 lb capacity hitch. My 2007 Grayhawk on Kodiak said 8k and it came with a 10k hitch. You are restricted by the GCWR of 26k lbs minus the actual loaded weight of the motorhome (which shouldn't exceed the GVWR of 22k lbs) and that is highly unlikely to get to 8,000 lbs (I usually add - unless you and all your passengers are filled with helium). Our GVWR was 19,500 lbs and GCWR was the same 26k. So our Kodiak gasser actually had a better real towing capacity (we wanted that because we were towing a Tahoe LTZ which weighed about 5700 lbs.

I don't think the manufacturers go out of their way to make it clear that the hitch has a capacity that is well over the real capacity. My current MH is just the opposite though. Hitch rating is 5k and GCWR minus GVWR is 7500 lbs. To tow more I'd have to get a stronger hitch installed.

Four Winds, near the end of the Kodiak production, put out a model that had a GCWR of 30,000 lbs and thus a much better towing capacity. I think move was in response to the poor towing capacity with a GCWR of 26k. It is pretty well agreed here that the only difference was in the transmission.

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 13123
Thanks Don,

Is the 26,000 gross true, or is the chassis derated by the manufacturer?

Peter

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 13124
No way of knowing that really. The manufacturers will never say what their factors of safety are. My son is an engineer and works in that area and he has never heard of any manufacturer providing an absolute amount or percentage. We all know that 26001 won't cause problems but just how high one can go before it is unsafe is an unknown.

In the case of the GCWR of 26k I've seen Kodiak diesels towing a lot more. One would think that the risk is primarily related to transmission damage. I guess the danger is the transmission coming apart and a serious accident resulting.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 13125
You could buy a C5500 rated up to 33,000 lbs. The biggest limit was that many states require a CDL for anything over 26,000 lbs. The things that changed was springs, heavier duty frame and 2000 series transmission.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 13134

And air brakes, big cat motor. I saw one the other day.
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Jayco Embark TB390

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 13135
Does the 26,000 lb limit for licenses in CA apply to non-commercial
vehicles?

Usually, the 33,000 lb and 26,000 lb truck are the exact same.

Does anyone know if there is any difference?

Peter

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 13138
In California if its an RV none of it matters. under some circumastances you need a NON COMMERCIAL class A or ?? for RV's over 40' or if you pull a utility trailer over 10,000 GVWR. again RVs are excluded so you can have a 20k # RV trailer and not need the special license.

Be well,

~
Victor | KI6IM |

Jayco Embark TB390 Bunkhouse
Dutchmen Diesel 34H Bunkhouse - For Sale

On Monday, July 7, 2014 10:36 AM, "Peter Young j.peter.young@... [KodiakChassisClassC]"  wrote:

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 13139
Found a few things online at truck forums

Front Axle Rating:_ 8,000 lbs
Rear Axle Rating : 15,000 lbs

I have 2 2x4 5500's, one with the 2350 Series transmission (MHE/MHD) and the other one with the 1000 Series transmission and both are registered with the DOT at 40K GCWR despite the manufacturer's 26K rating. The parking prawl on the Allison 1000 limits the truck 26K. All this towing without any problems and the trucks brake and handle very well.

It would appear the truck if fully capable of GCVW of much over 26,000 as it sits, even with the Allison 1000.

Mine weighed 19,600 today with a full water tank and half a tank of gas.

Has anyone ever had a policeman question them on GCVWR?

Peter

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 13141
That's exactly what the Allison tech told me and ALWAYS use the parking brake. The parking pawl is the weak link.

Dave

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 13142

They will when you are in an accident and then your Insurance company will deny coverage, then you will be personally liable.....
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Jayco Embark TB390

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 13144
The 40 ft rule in California always made me laugh. When we bought a 40 ft+ DP we got a video included from the State of California. It covered off some of the details about license requirements and stated that we couldn't travel on certain roads in CA.

What I found funny was a closing comment that if we could drive what we had legally in our home state/province we'd be OK in California. What a JOKE. Same thing happens in Ontario. If your MH and toad/trailer weigh more than 11,000KG (24,200 lbs) you need a Class D (which is like a CDL in the US but toad/trailer restricted to 4600 KG or 10,120 lbs - and if you go over that you need a Class A which is required by tractor trailer drivers - and if you have air brakes you need an endorsement that you have passed the air brake exam). BUT, if a visitor is OK in their home province/state they are OK in Ontario (because of the reciprocity agreements that have been signed by all provinces and states with the exception of 3 (Georgia being on of the three). So, as I said to the Minister of Transport about 8 years ago, "that means an 85 year old geezer driving a Prevost Marathon with air brakes towing a Hummer 2 with total weight over 50,000 lbs is OK with his standard Florida license. Yet, for me that was be an offense because it is deemed to be dangerous and I'd be fined heavily. My argument was that if it was dangerous it doesn't matter what jurisdiction one is licensed in. I threatened to make a charter challenge and really PO'd her as all of my material was given her by my MPP who happened to be the party whip. I was able to get some changes and now for RV weights the actual weight applies not the GVWR and the GCWR. And for fifth wheels it is the weight on the trailer wheels when connected to the truck towing it. That weight put my Kodiak + Tahoe toad under the limit based on actual total weight.

Don

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 13146
Don Leslie wrote:

The 40 ft rule in California always made me laugh. When we bought a 40
ft+ DP we got a video included from the State of California. It
covered off some of the details about license requirements and stated
that we couldn't travel on certain roads in CA.

There is nothing like a little DMV "logic" to liven up your life :-) In
NC we can drive RV's with a regular license. There is a special RV
endorsement for 5th wheels exceeding 26K combined, but it doesn't seem
necessary for class A's well over that.

I had a class A CDL license (tractor trailer) here for years and
suddenly they changed the laws and said if we didn't document so many
miles/hours per year in a commercial application, we would lose our
license. I didn't drive big trucks anymore and when asked, I was told
RV's didn't count. Our race trailer at the time fell into the RV
endorsement because of its weight so we called about getting the license
or at least keeping my CDL. The guy said bring it down, but since I
wasn't a commercial operation, the CDL would not be renewed. He came
out, saw how we parked it and chocked the wheels and endorsed the
license. Mine has since lapsed for no known reason.

I love the DMV :-)

Take care,
Greg

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 13156
in PA I had to fill in a form which stated that I still drive vehicles requiring a Class A license but do not do so for commercial uses. I still have the CDL but no longer have to get the medical card, etc. If I want to go back to driving commercially I can renew my endorsments, medical card and background checks and go to work. I keep the letter in my vehicles just in case a question should arise.

--

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 13157
Interesting reminder Lee. In Ontario once one is 65 and over for the Class A one must have an annual medical and an annual road test. This is a complete PITA, especially when a renewal is during the winter season. When I took my 2 day airbrake course the instructor at the college said he was now a few years over 65 and it was really difficult to go through the road test as he had to "borrow" a tractor trailer and given someone needs it for work that is not easy. It really discourages drivers over 65 from working and also towing RV's that exceed the 4600 kg weight limit on the wheels. We know a couple who downsized their fiver and then found out that their previous unit was OK when the province decided it was not the GVWR but the actual weight on the trailer's wheels when hooked up to go.

If one has a MH and toad over the 11,000 KG limit a Class D is needed (and airbrake endorsement if it has such brakes) but there is no retesting requirement (until age 80).

Don

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 13158
Down here in the land of potholes (PA) you need the current med card at any age for the class a. I believe that since the federal government got involved with the commercial licensing that requirement is nationwide. The last 10 or 15 years it seemed as though it was a yearly thing but that may have been due to my age. My brother in law in Florida has a 45ft Newmar and drives it all over with just a regular drivers license with no air brake or RV endorsements. A lot of the guys we race with put "Private RV" signs on the door of their motor and toter homes to try and avoid hassles with the police. I do know that if the DOT guys stop you the answers you give to their questions will determine how much of a hassle you get. If they think you are racing for money or you have advertising on the trailer they will treat you like a commercial driver and want the med card and the log book. Most RV'rs don't get bothered because there is no commercial connection unless they do something stupid like violate a weight or length limit, unless of course they are pulling a trailer that has business advertising on it.

On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 9:28 PM, "Don Leslie grandriver125@... [KodiakChassisClassC]"  wrote:

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 13159
In PA, where I bought my present coach (Embark) you must have a "Air Brake" endorsement of you buy an RV with air brakes according to the dealer.

Be well,

~
Victor | KI6IM |

Jayco Embark TB390 Bunkhouse
Dutchmen Diesel 34H Bunkhouse - For Sale

On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 7:54 PM, "LEE GRINNELL racerlee434@... [KodiakChassisClassC]"  wrote:

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 13160
the BIL will pass through here on his way to Maine soon and I will ask him if he had to do so in Fla where he lives.

On Tuesday, July 8, 2014 10:51 PM, "LEE GRINNELL racerlee434@... [KodiakChassisClassC]"  wrote:

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 14027
Hello all,
My name is Don Anderson. I'm currently preparing to embark on a cross country trip starting from Portland OR in my '08 Jayco Seneca ZX. I bought the rig used about 2 years ago with 18k miles on it. Upgrades that I've added are the safe T steer stabilizer, Koni shocks and super spring suspension. It looks like the previous owner had already upgraded the sway bar, so I didn't have to add that. I also changed out the shower head for one of those body spa shower heads ( aerator really does work to improve flow), a high flow/pressure pump (sureflow 4048), and a sanicon tank buddy waste pump. For the electrical I've added a surge protector. new 40" flat panel, bluray dvd, and an all pro wifi amplifier range extender and wifi hot spot that will pull in wifi signals from up to 20 mi. away. I think I'm set up for a little road trip, but any input on must haves would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning from you folks, and hopefully sharing some of my experience. Maybe I'll have a chance to meet some folks from here in my travels as well!

Don

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 14029
Don
Welcome to The Super C Group.
Sound like you got your MH ready for a long trip.
Every time time I stop at a campground I check to see if there are any Super C's parked there. Only a few have been members. But they all want to talk about their Super C's and where they have been with them.
If your tavels take you to MI. You will be welcomed at my place. Water, Electric and a Dump station. Out in the country but only 50 miles from downtown Detroit.
Talked to another member this morning. He had met 2 other members at Quartzite, AZ this week.
Good Travels
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 14034
Thanks for the welcome, and the very generous offer Ron. I just might take you up on that if my return track brings back through the northern states. That would be pretty cool to run across other members on the road. I'll be keeping an eye out. I'm sure I haven't thought of a ton of things that I'll have to deal with on the road, but the rig seems to handle pretty well now so the drive should be as safe as possible.

Thanks again!
Don

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 14035
Hope you have a road service plan. While almost all the time it is not needed. It;s good to have. I have had AAA plus RV, Coachnet, Good Sam and now FMCA Road Assist. They all have their limitations. Get one that fits your needs.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 14045
After a short over night trip last summer to eastern Oregon that turned into an expensive three week stay in the high desert town of Ontario, I learned my lesson. I have towing coverage through both my vehicle insurance and with Good Sam. I didn't intend to double up. but I just switched carriers and roadside assistance came with the policy.
I also sprang for the Good Sam extended service plan for this trip. After having a bad ground in the engine control computer overdrive the injector in cylinder 6 that caused the catalytic converter to clog; it also vapor locked the cylinder casing it to grenade the block, I don't have the stomach for replacing any additional high dollar parts. The bright side is that I have a spanking new motor to drag me around!

Don

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 14068
Anyone know how often the transmission fluid should be changed in a 2009 jayco seneca class c? Duramax

Thanks Denise

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 14077
Trans oil should be changed at 50k miles. Transmission external filter should be changed every oil change or 10k to 15K miles. Do not forget to take magnet off old filter and install on new filter.
All C5500 motorhome chassis came from factory with Transynd Fluid,