Skip to main content
Topic: Choices (Read 1268 times) previous topic - next topic

Choices

Yahoo Message Number: 16094
Hi. I am new to the group. I don't have any experience with motor homes but am looking into getting our first one. I am a GM person and always have been one as my father worked and retired from General Motors. I had a 2006 Silverado 2500HD with the LBZ Duramax and loved it. We had a 1998 38' Cardinal 5th wheel that we towed with the Silverado. We have sold both now and are looking into the Kodiak 5500 series of motor homes. One of them is a 32.5' 2007 Gulf Stream Conquest Ultra 6316 Super C with 8600 miles with an 8.1L vortec engine. The other is a 37' 2008 Gulf Stream Conquest Endura 6362 with the 8.1 vortec engine and 23,000 miles. The first being $17K dollars less than the second. The first has one living room slide and the second has a bedroom and living room slide. Also looking at a couple of 38-40 foot Class A's with the Cummins 6.7L diesel engines. These are used units. We will be living in what ever we buy for about four months before building or buying a home and will then be touring around the country in the MH. I have studied and pretty much know the plus and minuses of both. More room in the Class A but more chassis complexity and expense with engines, tires and systems. Less space in the Class C but less expense with engines (can do most of the maintenance, at least on the gas engine), tires and not as complex of a chassis. From what I have read, it is a wash when it comes to fuel. Both engines get about the same mileage but gas is cheaper but the diesel has more power. I can see where that might make a difference with the heavy Class A's but how about the difference between the 32 and 37 foot Kodiaks? We are moving to Missouri from Arizona so there will not be much mountain driving. Thanks for your input.

Re: Choices

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16096
In the Kodiak based MH's. There is a 3 mpg difference between gas and diesel. Unless you are looking to drive 100k miles. Not going to pay for the $10k difference in cost. Should be some good deal out there. Dealers want a lot more than they are worth.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16097
I get 10.3 mpg with my diesel 2005 Endura 6331 going 65ish mph. After having a smaller Class C gas that could never get over 8.5 mpg, I'm thinking the 8.1 engine would get about 7.5 mpg at best. This is also what others have reported.

Does anyone with the 8.1L engine get over 8.5mpg?

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16099
I averaged 7.2-7.4 mpg on my last trip of 1800 miles. This included some mountain driving

Bob Davison
2007 Gulfstream Endura 6340

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16101
I get 8.5 @ 70mph running the generator and two AC units, vegas is hot!! Towing a 4dr jeep all the way to Yellowstone, loaded to the gills! I do get a little over 9, without the generator running.

2006 Gulf Stream endura 6340.
Chris

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16102
My Greyhawk 32ss had the 8.1L and Allison 6 spd. Crossed the rockies five times towing a 4000 lb Saturn Vue. Over the 60,000 miles I put on it, I always figured 7 - 7.5 mpg towing the car. Without the car I picked up about a mile per gallon.

I was happy with my choice. At the time I bought mine, the diesel version (which was a tad longer than my 34') was $14K more. I have no regrets going with the gas.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16104
We have a 2006 Gulf Strem Independence (6316), gas Vortec 8.1L, one slide. It has a very powerful gas engine. We just came back from the mountains (low mountains) in New Mexico, pulling a trailer and UTV. Only checked mileage once. Was 5.7mpg driving 75mph on the hwy when allowed. I often pull an extra tall two horse trailer with dressing room and horses with this RV, even to the mountains. It pulls extremely well. One nice thing about the gas engine is we can get gas at any gas station in the middle of nowhere as long as we fit.

Things I would consider in your decision, especially since you are going to live in it, are size/space available/needed, the size of the fresh water tank, features such as number of air conditioners, whether it has automatic stabilizing jacks, stabilizer while driving for smoother ride, obviously condition, any extras that might come with the RV.

When we got our RV it had one factory air conditioner. We had to have another one installed and the electrical to support it because we went on a trip where the one air conditioner couldn't keep up and we were miserable. Ours didn't have a spare tire. Hubby spent about $700 to buy a new wheel and tire, just so we could have a spare. Our RV had some little extras like satellite TV unit installed, custom seat covers for all the furniture, and a screened porch.

I used to have a class A (gas). The space and storage were awesome. But it was such a big RV that I was limited where I could drive/park it at times. If you want lots of space, you have a bigger RV. There is less space in a shorter, smaller RV. What can you live with?

Also consider other costs such as having it worked on. Larger RVs have more surface area so cost more to have cleaned and apply chemicals like wax and UV protectant. Consider storage/cover cost if you have to store it at some point, and insurance costs of one unit vs. another, cost of wheels size and number of. Living in an RV and taking a little trip are two different things. So, consider that and costs.

Good luck and let us know which one you decide on.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 16114
I get 9 mph in my 34SS Seneca with the Duramax. Doubt 8.1L gets that but don't know since I never owned one. The 8.1L can actually tow more. Mine has GCVR of 26000# and GVWR of 22000#. Dry weight is about 18500#. So I can pull my Honda or MC trailer which are both under 4000# even fully loaded. You get another 2500# of tow capacity with the 8.1L.

So it depends on what u need. Towing or fuel efficiency. Rest of the gear appears comparable. Many have done suspension upgrades.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 16116
I just towed 11,000 lbs with my diesel 2005 endura. It did a great job. It's my understanding that the c5500 gcwr is limited by the park pawl strength, and not towing performance. So if you use the emergency brake while parking on a grade, you won't have a problem with the diesel for towing and the exhaust brake is great!! I also used Reese's anti sway weight distribution hitch setup

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 16124
First, thanks for the feedback. We went out last week and drove the 6316. We took it onto the freeway and the 8.1L seemed to accelerate well. I did notice a slight rocking when going around corners in town driving but not as bad as I expected. Our big drawback with it was the lack of wardrobe space. No bedroom slide so only two small hanging wardrobe closets. Even though we called the dealer in advance to look at the other coach, he hadn't prepared it. Batteries were dead and it was 102 degrees outside and worse in the coach so we just left. After looking thru the files section here, I found that the 6362 model looks like it has enough wardrobe space for us. Two big hanging closets in the bedroom slide out and four just outside the slide out. I have found two in RV trader and have asked if they could do a virtual walk thru with on our Ipads. Waiting to hear back. Both are Duramax diesels. I had an LBZ duramax in a 2006 Silverado that I really enjoyed. Question, will the same ECU programmer controller that you use on the P.U. work on the RV? It would have to be for the LLY or course.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 16125
One of the reasons for choosing a Endura 6340 was storage. At the time it had the highest basement storage. Bedroom has 4 closets. The double closet in bedroom slide is 5' wide. 6 drawers in bedroom.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 16126
Hello all, my first post here...

We had a gas Jayco 294 Class C with a Ford Triton V10 for 8 years.
We now have a Jayco Seneca 34SS with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel.

Diesel Pros...
* Rarely downshifts to higher RPM for a nicer ride vs. gas downshifted at the slightest incline.
* Diesel generator is much quieter because they only run at 1800rpm.
* Better fuel economy.
* Longer range between fuel fill.
* Less motor heat which transfers into the cab and floor.
* Most class Cs are or near to light in the front. The extra weight is helpful.
* Diesel is combustible, not flammable so I think its safer.
* You can fill up quicker when you use the bigger hose pumps.

Gas Pros...
* Less up front cost, but can be made up in time over fuel.
* Less costly if major motor failure. Diesel repairs can be more costly but Duramax 6.6L is a solid motor used in a number of vehicles. I actually have 6 in my fleet. So far, only a turbo sensor
* More GVWR for towing but if you tow, this is a big reason for the Diesel IMHO.
* Oil changes are less costly.
* Not having to use gloves at the fuel pump.

For us, my wife and I love the diesel.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 16127
I concur about diesels having several diesel pickups and even a diesel Corolla and Chevy car! I enjoy my Jayco 34SS with the duramax diesel!