Skip to main content
Topic: Floor? (Read 637 times) previous topic - next topic

Floor?

Yahoo Message Number: 16118
Hi everyone, I am new to the group.I have been with a travel trailer and now looking to move to a class C. I am very close to purchasing a 05 ultra super c on the kodiak chassis. I have seen quite a few listed that had floors redone. I had seen one that didn't and it had a soft floor outside the shower. From the endless research I have been doing it seems there was an issue with the rear jacks when down that caused the floor to soften. Can anyone explain exactly why the floor would soften from the jacks. Is it allowing a leak in the units plumbing, or water to leak around the shower or from outside? Is there anything else I should be looking out for, cab leaks, etc? I like the floor plan and the 8.1/allison combo. Working for GM and having medium duty trucks in my shop I have seen very few issues with that combo. I would really appreciate any advice for a newbie.

Re: Floor?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16119
Hello ? and welcome to the group.
Others will chime in here but there has been discussion of the floor being 'softer' in that area on the Gulfstream's due to the fact that it not supported between the axles as well as fore and aft. I don't remember any issues of floor rot but let's see what others have to say. Ron Hall (and I believe others in the group) have added support in that area to stiffen the floor. I believe Ron has pics in the Yahoo Group photo area of his work.
Greg Thompson
MN
6340 Endura

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16120
I have a 2005 Kodiak 5500 diesel 31 ft one slide Gulfstream and the floor defect is because of floor Support stringers not being put in above rear axle. The span is to wide. You can make the correction by adding a support over the rear axle.
The soft floor is also caused by the refrigerator wall stack vent cover, the original one has slots that allow rain to enter the stack and soak into the floor between shower and refrigerator causing a soft spot again a manufacturing defect. My unit was keep inside for 11 years, one year outdoors softened the floor. I changed the stack cover to a model that prevents water intrusion down the stack. Over all it has been a good unit. I am also thinking of putting it up for sale. With the high pricing of units today,a used medium duty Kodiak 5500
diesel can be a good buy.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16121
Others have stated the floor problem above the rear axle. Beyond that I never had a problem with wet floors. But mine was a 2004 Endura. There is a difference between an Endura and some of the other Gulf Stream models. 2 of them that I can think of at this time 2 AC units and fiberglass roof.
There are copies of the brochures in the file section so you can compare with what you are looking at.

Best
Ron Hall