Skip to main content
Topic: ABS light on - loss of brake pedal (Read 949 times) previous topic - next topic

ABS light on - loss of brake pedal

Yahoo Message Number: 16128
Hi group,

On the return from a short 3-hour trip, just as I was pulling into our driveway the brake pedal went to the floor. I pumped the pedal and got enough pressure to stop and park but then the pedal went to the floor again. The next morning I started the truck and had full pedal pressure but now the ABS light is on. I went ahead and drove it for 30-minutes with good pedal pressure but the ABS light has stayed on continuously.
Any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks in advance!
Greg

Re: ABS light on - loss of brake pedal

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16129
I was able to clear ABS light by removing power for a few minutes. Remove top wires from red box on passengers side under hood. You will have to drive 100 ft to get light off after putting power back on. I would be concerned why brake pedal went to floor. Have you checked brake fluid level in master cylinder?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16132
I'm definitely concerned about the brake pedal going to the floor!

Yes, the brake fluid level is good. Although the fluid itself looks questionable and will need to be flushed with fresh fluid, which I will do this weekend. When the pedal went to the floor, I did not get any additional brake lights on the dash or any other indicators of a problem.
To me, about the only part that would allow this problem would be the master cylinder. But admittedly I'm not that familiar with the Hydra Boost system but I would think the pedal would get harder if the booster failed. Additionally, I have not detected a loss of fluid or any leakage at any of the wheels so I'm really thinking master cylinder but the intermittent loss of pedal has me confused.

Greg

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 10:37 AM, "ronjhall@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16137
Intermittent pedal loss is usually the master cylinder. May want to check abs codes before clearing. Also pedal loss can be caused by boiling brake fluid if a caliper is dragging. Either way next trip is to repair shop. Brake fluid should also be changed if more than 10 years old.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16138
Hydro-boost works similar to vacuum power brakes. Except power steering pump provides the power. Along with electric pump under master cylinder when power steering pump is not supplying the boost.
Takes a lot of brake fluid to work the 4 pistons on each wheel. There have been reports of hoses failing at calipers. Causing similar conditions like you are reporting. Hoses swell when pressing brake pedal.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16139
Thanks for the replies...

I just ordered a new master cylinder which I hope to install this weekend. Hopefully, a new master cylinder and fresh fluid will solve this problem. I will certainly inspect all the brake lines while I'm checking things over.
No brakes on an 18000-lb rv is no joke.

Greg

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 2:50 PM, "ronjhall@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16141
I was surprised at how rusty my rear brake lines were on my 2005 Endura that came from Texas. If it's more than 10 years old, change all the brake fluid. Rockauto.com has great prices on all the brake hoses.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16142
Another possibility is the fluid boiling causing bubbles

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16152
The brake lines on our 2008 Jayco Seneca 36fs run inside a C shaped frame along the driver's side. We had two spring leaks on our way to Niagra last year. We barely noticed the fluid for it was all sitting

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 16153
Put rubber hose over the lines at any points where they contact each other or any other metal parts. Secure them with plastic cable ties.

On Aug 9, 2017, at 4:55 PM, Jay Hitaffer  [SuperCrvgroup] SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

The brake lines on our 2008 Jayco Seneca 36fs run inside a C shaped frame along the driver's side. We had two spring leaks on our way to Niagra last year. We barely noticed the fluid for it was all sitting

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 16154
I had the same ABS light problem, the sensors sometimes get stuck and need cleaning.

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 12:11 PM, "Dave Miah kickinpony_dave@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote: