Skip to main content
Topic: Passenger outside door handle ions (Read 592 times) previous topic - next topic

Passenger outside door handle ions

Yahoo Message Number: 16166
The passenger outside door handle has stopped opening the door. Pulls like there is nothing attached to the handle.

Has anyone had this issue and is there any quick fixes for this?

I've looked on the web and no videos/pictures of the repair process. DieselPlace mentions it and said it is somewhat tricky to fix.

Gary

Re: Passenger outside door handle ions

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16167
I never had a problem with the door handle. But did remove the door trim panel to change out speakers.
Remove all screws that hold armrest and other items.. there are some clips that hold rest of panel on. When all these are free. Push up from bottom of panel to release it from door. You will need to disconnect window and lock switches.
There is a wire rod that actuates door latch. It or one of it's connect points has broken.
You may find better information on the latch by looking for it under the Van forums. Express or Savannah. Also look for a video.
Best
Ron Hall.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16168
Hi Gary,

We have a 2007 Jayco Seneca on the Chevrolet C5500 truck chassis. I experienced the same problem a few years ago.

I had to keep tightening the screw that holds the bell crank (angled arm in the picture below) on the plastic door handle housing. A new door handle was the answer. PART NUMBER GM 15827690

Chevy truck dealer should also stock the part.

The new door handle http://www.factoryoemparts.com/door-handle-15827690  has a green screw that tightens in the left hand, counterclockwise direction. The action of the door handle now tends to tighten the screw!

With the old handle, and a clockwise tightened screw,  each time the door was opened it loosened the screw a little until the bell crank falls off. Tried blue Loctite to no avail.

1.Ron Hall is correct remove the door panel first:
Remove all screws that hold armrest and other items.. there are some clips that hold rest of panel on. When all these are free. Push up from bottom of panel to release it from door. You will need to disconnect window and lock switches. There is a wire rod that actuates door latch. This rod connects to the bell crank. The green screw pictured is threaded left hand to prevent the problem.
2.I drilled a hole in the door in line with the offending screw. Used a plastic body plug to hide the hole when done. This made it easy to tighten it and reassemble the handle. There is also a spring that tensions the bell crank.
3.Remove and replace the handle and gasket.

Hope this helps.
        Bobby

Re: Passenger outside door handle ions [1 Attachment]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16171
I no longer have my Kodiak, but have one of these new passenger door handles left in the garage. Let me know if you want it. $25 plus shipping.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16213
The door handle has been replaced. As mentioned on DieselPlace.com this is an interesting job.

Door panel removal is easy, peel back the sound barrier exposing the linkage. Everything is metric and smaller hands are a big plus. The biggest issue I had was the inner bracket that supports the handle, its a juggling act to get it, the nuts and your hand (fingers) in a place the size of a match box. You can see it but theres not a good way to get to it.

Remove the lock linkage at the lock cylinder and the handle linkage at the bottom near the door pin latch- mine was a yellow 'clamp' type clip attaching the threaded rod to the door pin release (this will make sense once you get inside the door). Some have added a new hole for tightening the Torx screw that slowly backs out over time, mine didn't have that, and may save you the grief of complete replacement.

What I found if this issue has happened the old handle is bad and just replace it (they had redesigned the new ones). I spent an afternoon trying to fix and reinstall the old one, just get a replacement, it will save you the frustration and once you see the new handle you get the 'Ah Ha!" moment.

Hope this helps anyone you may have to do this in the future. It doesn't take any special tools but I would have a extendable magnet and claw for fishing. ;)

Cheers

Gary

I saw 3 ZX models in Sturgis this year, and a mix of newer non garage models too.