Skip to main content
Topic: HUR Harvey one week in and Red Cross Response (Read 671 times) previous topic - next topic

HUR Harvey one week in and Red Cross Response

Yahoo Message Number: 16226
Hey fellow RVers,
Today is my first day off from the disaster response. So I thought I would share with you some of what is going on with Red Cross in Harvey Response for your information.
In the overall response and one week after landfall, 42,000+ People are staying in over 258 shelters and many of these are Red Cross Shelters or Red Cross supported / partner shelters.

Since the beginning of the disaster we have
  • served on the order of 400,000 meals and snacks.
  • Had 8000 health and mental health appointments
We have seen some decrease in shelter population starting yesterday, but as you can see from this map, river flooding is still in progress. Large purple circles indicate major flood, red moderate flood, and orange minor flood:

So some of the folks currently in shelters may be there for some time as flood waters move to the sea.
To support feeding operations we have been opening kitchens with capacity to support large shelters, and also mobile feeding to support clean up work and first responders.  This has been with our great partners Southern Baptist Disaster Relief I believe.

Large migrations from the coast to Mega Shelters inland that were prepared for were only partially used, but still there are thousands of folks that did go further inland.
There are roughly 3000 red cross folks helping on this disaster relief effort. We run two shelter shifts 7 to 7.
In this response stage of the operation we are really focused on just two things:
  • Mass Care: Sheltering and Feeding, and
  • Coordinating well with Government Agencies
Power remains an issue: In this graphic orange is 2,000 to 5000 people, Red is 5 to 10,000 people, and you can guess what Black is.

Power Outages
Transportation has greatly improved. However flooded and closed roads remain an issue. Make sure you use drivetexas.org:

We are keeping a weather eye on Disturbance 2 in the gulf and Hurricane Irma in the Atlantic.
You can find open shelters here: http://www.redcross.org/get-help/disaster-relief-and-recovery-services/find-an-open-shelter
Evacuation information is available http://abc13.com/traffic/evacuation-orders-issued-in-epicflooding-emergency/2337616/
FEMA information is available here https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4332?utm_source=hp_promo&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=disaster
Our hopes and prayers with anyone impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
Safe Travels

Kevin (Real) McCoy [@KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006;
"Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Re: HUR Harvey one week in and Red Cross Response [5 Attachments]

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16228
Wow! More power to you guys and the work you do. I assume the Red Cross will continue needing our contributions for some time. Be safe and thanks for your service.

Take care,
Greg

Re: HUR Harvey one week in and Red Cross Response

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16230
We are in Austin. We have one mega shelter here. Also we had storm damage in our district from flooding. The coast got it a lot worse.
We are safe.
Best
Kevin & Sandy

Re: HUR Harvey one week in and Red Cross Response

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16232
Glad you and Sandy are safe.
Thanks for your service to TX and Red Cross..
Best
Ron Hall