Skip to main content
Topic: Thinking about buying Toyo M154 Highway (245/70R 19.5) for my Dutchm (Read 1232 times) previous topic - next topic

Thinking about buying Toyo M154 Highway (245/70R 19.5) for my Dutchm

Yahoo Message Number: 16257

Re: Thinking about buying Toyo M154 Highway (245/70R 19.5) for my Du

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16258
I had them on my Seneca and they were great. Paid about $1,800 for 6. Never any issues. I asked around at several dealers and they said they sold lots for regional trucks. Had Toyos on several vehicles and would buy again.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16259
Had 6 for a couple of years with no issues. When these are gone will buy another set.

Good quality tires.

Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16260
Love the Toyos. Presently have 6 on my 2012 Seneca. Previously had them on my 5th wheel. Also on my Ford Dually

iPhone Response
William H. Van Buren
Lawyer
300 Main Street, 2nd Floor
Houston, Texas 77002
(713) 223-0051 Telephone
(713) 223-0877 Facsimile

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16261
I have had 6 for about a year. Great tires.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16262
Anyone have experience with any of the Chinese brands gladiator and sailun? Seem to have good reviews and are half the price. About 900 for 6 tires.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16263
I have Hankook tires on my Dutchman.. Only have about 3k miles on them at this point. So far I like them.. handles about the same as the previously installed Micheles.. Made in S Korea and very reasonable price wise..
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16264
Get what you pay for ... I wouldn't

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16265
I've run Yokohama for 5 years and 25k miles. Awesome compared to the original Michelins. Stay away from Chinese junk. It's not a lawn chair, there's a lot riding on your RV tires.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16266
Before purchasing the Toyo's, I checked on several of the chinese tires to be told by one of the local tire shops that the only place they have found that will buy the chinese tires is trucking companies that move a lot of dirt. They related that their work causes the tires to get frequently causing them to be replaced. He said they have sold some of the tires to different trucking companies but none were pleased with the chinese tires or would buy a second set other than the dirt haulers.

After all these stories, I was afraid of them at any price, thus I got Toyo's and have never looked back.

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 16267
I went with a Chinese tire from Big O tires. They are Koyro Longmarch 245/70r/19.5 load range H. The 6 tires (2 16 ply steering and 4 16 ply drivers) came to $1340 and mounting ($96) balancing beads ($96) tire protection plan ($215) and tax ($130) added up to around $1875ish.
I've got about 22k miles on them and absolutely no complaints. Previous tires were Michelin load range G's with 75% of tread remaining when I had a blowout (with absolutely no warning or indication on my TPMS) on the drivers rear inner dual that absolutely destroyed my wheel well and the water supply tub immediately behind the wheel well to the tune of a $5500 insurance claim. That's one reason I went up a load range despite being well within vehicle weight parameters both front and rear.
So IMHO, any brand or manufacture of tires can blow cause S*** happens!

Respectfully
Monte Bourn
NMSkier
2006 Jayco Seneca
34SS

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 16268

But how old were they? MICHELIN says to have them checked annually after yr 5 for sidewall deterioration.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 16269
They were 3 years old according to the date stamp with no signs of any sidewall checking, cracking or other deterioration. Took the other 5 to the local Michelin dealer and even though I had all the paperwork from the previous owner, since I wasn't the original purchaser, all I got was a shrug and "good luck" from Michelin. Since I had no way of telling what the flaw was, I elected to replace all 6 and up the load range from G to H. I sold the 5 Michelins on Craigslist for $50 each and told the buyer the whole story. He was ok with taking a chance. I'm not when it comes to safety.
And for everyone's info, I did a bunch of research both on line, with several of the local RV dealers and 6 of the major truck tire centers here in Albuquerque, NM and the opinions were all over the place. The only consistent opinion was endorsement of the major brand they carried.
For all your information, the mileage I have on this set of tires includes a trip up the ALCAN and the Dalton/Haul Road.
I sincerely hope this helps and not add any confusion.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 16270
Look at the Continental's. Same price for higher rating

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 16271
I have been running Double Coin on my rig for about three and a half years now and about 25,000 miles and have had no problems. I run a mud and snow tire on the back and a regular tread on the front. i do get a little howl from the mud and snow but it isn't too bad. I based my decision to buy them off of the fact that you see a lot of big rigs driving down the road with them on and I figured those guys don't have time to be changing tires all the time if they are using bad tires.

Mark
2006 Seneca 34ss
--

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 16272
FMCA offers similar discounts on the Continental as they do Michelin.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 16274
Thank you all for the great feedback. This site is awesome, as are the member.

Safe travels

Greg

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 16277
2014 F550 Thor Super C, Diesel..... Tires? Funny thing happened on the way to....... LOL (I can laugh now) I had a blow out in Wyoming and then another near Denver with Continental 225 70R 19.5 tires. They are 4 years old with only 30K miles. I spoke to a great friend from college that happens to work for Exxon... as... wait for it... a tire expert. Yup~! HE stated that Michlelin tires are "the reference" tires. In other words - the best, since they strictly control every aspect of the process making the tires. Yokohoma (Japan) are good, Goodrich, Continental (Germany), but the Michelins are BEST. He goes to Discount Tire and purchased most every brand that is made with Exxon rubber and test them against the reference of Michelins. What? Really? Yup - and while some tires can be great, some good, every Michelin tire is considered the best and he strongly recomended that I go with Michelins, and I did. I had them shipped to Colorado, where my motorhome is currenlty located, and will replace ALL continentals before heading back to Texas. BTW I was in Nevada when Hurricane Harvey hit Corpus and Houston - I live on the outskirts of Houston.

Jerry Fallin - Baytown Texas