Skip to main content
Topic: Find the actual ends of the Earth and live comfortably with Unicat's (Read 1575 times) previous topic - next topic

Find the actual ends of the Earth and live comfortably with Unicat's

Yahoo Message Number: 16305
If money grew on trees I think I'd have a good look at this Super-Duper Class C.

Don

Re: Find the actual ends of the Earth and live comfortably with Unic

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16306
I thought money grew on your Canadian trees! I'm so disappointed;-)

We saw a smaller version of one of these when we were at Lake Powell a few years ago. It was quite a machine for sure. I would have liked to have seen the inside, but my wife wouldn't let me bother them :-)

Kathy would like to go to Mexico and I told her we could do it if she'd buy one of these and let me install a .50 cal turret on top.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16308
We followed this unit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16309
Ok it's my turn. It does grow ON Canadian trees.
But they are all LOONIES.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16310
Half of them are toonies. :)

Don

Battery charging during storage

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16386
I'm hoping you guys will still allow me to ask a question even though I
no longer have the Greyhawk...and Happy New Year too!

As Don knows, I sold the motorhome and have been looking for a small
trailer. Kathy and I finally, after a year of studying everything,
bought a 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504s. It's a whopping 25'9" long, but
aluminum cage, vacuum bonded construction, etc.

We pick it up next week in VA and will bring it back to NC. I'm talking
to a couple storage places and one offers electricity for an additional
$20/mo. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to have electricity over
at the storage area.

One thought was to add a trickle charger of some sort and keep the
battery installed, but charged with one that won't overcharge if left
plugged in. I assume plugging the trailer in is going to just cook the
battery over time unless things have changed in how they do things.

So....what's the opinion here? Worth it to have electricity? Charger
recommendations?

Take care,
Greg

Re: Battery charging during storage

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16387
I've kept a two bank battery tender brand charger on my motorhome for about the past 5 years and aside from that one time I ran the thing over on a Friday afternoon when I was excited to get out of town its been great. The truck and house batteries have stayed fully charged and haven't seen any boil overs.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16388
Greg. Look up trik- L- start. They're just what u need. Save $20 a month

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16389
I should of said u need solar panel with this unit. Sorry

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 16390
Greg, how long will the trailer sit in storage? How often do you expect to use it. When our motorhome use became far less and it was in storage for the winter we pulled the batteries in October and stored them in the basement of our home. In May I'd put them back in. In between Oct and May I'd usually charge them when back north in December. Seemed to work well and no cost. During the summer months I'd flip the kill switch (put one on the chassis battery) and that prevented draining.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 16391
When I left my RV in a storage lot, I would make sure the disconnect switch was off and would leave it for the month. On the 1st of every month I would go over fire up the generator and charge the batteries while giving the generator a workout. Seemed to keep everything happy.

Chuck

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 16392
Well Don, if I had my way it wouldn't sit at all, but you know how that is ;-)

In some respects I have to get my mind out of motorhome mode and back to trailer mode. I took a storage spot without electricity and saved the $20/mo. Honestly, unlike the Greyhawk, pulling the battery or even two if I add a second would only take about five minutes because the batteries sit in a box on the A-frame behind the gas bottles. That's what I used to do with the trailer years ago and just kept them at home.

Sometimes I forget the simple things...old age setting in ;-) The forecast for next week doesn't look that great in Richmond, VA to go do the final inspection and pickup. We hoped to camp at a place about a mile from the dealer to give everything a good check, but I don't want to push my luck with temps in the teens and a three season coach.

There is a house type water filter installed inside the back of a storage compartment that will take a contortionist to change or drain the canister. Typical RV "engineering" on that one. I told the dealer to take it out and I wouldn't even ask for them to take the $125 option charge off the bill, but the service manager told me Forest River won't allow them to do that because it would void the warranty for plumbing leaks. What the.......? He said it was silly, but that's the way it is, it came from the factory that way and they expect it to stay that way until the warranty is up. I guess I'll fight with it for a year, then cut the line and splice in a straight line. At least with the Jayco, they gave us a line to put in place of the hidden filter behind the drawers in the kitchen.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 16393
Yeah Chuck, I did the same thing with my Greyhawk. I never had a problem keeping the batteries happy in the motorhome. One thing about "downsizing" to a small trailer is losing things we were used to having as a matter of course. A kill switch being one of them. I've got a couple here and I'll be making that mod to the trailer.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 16394
Thanks Larry, that's a great idea too for me to check into. I didn't even think of using a small solar setup and the trailer even has a port on the outside to plug one in

Take care,
Greg

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 16395
I attempted to order the Trik L charge unit but was told no one had heard from LSL for in excess of 90 days. I sent a message directly to LSL asking if they were still in business but received no response.

What the heck??

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 16396
Wow I wonder if that will happen to me. I just ordered it yesterday. I'm going to do some checking.

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 16397
I received email confirmation of monies received today. We'll see

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 16398
I ordered some 8 weeks ago and was informed the unit was on back order. 4 weeks later, I was informed they had not heard from LSL in 90 days.

I have not heard from the e mail I sent LSL 4 weeks ago.

Interesting to see what you hear.

Where did you order from?

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 16400
That is the same people to whom I sent the e-mail without response.

Just remembered receiving a sale circular from someone who advertised a small solar panel that can be placed on the hood or inside the front window with a plug to inserting into the lighter plug to charge truck batteries. Didn't seem too expensive but guess I deleted it because I can't find it.

Please advise if you receive the ordered item.

Don

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 16401
LSL Products Sales Receipt 206441996750
This is the confirmation number. Interesting I hope I get one it's perfect for my needs.

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 16402
I often wonder about Forest River. Our destination trailer that my son lives

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 16403
Ya know I have a small solar panel that came with clips or cig. Lighter plug in. It worked perfect with my super c. Soooo I tried the same thing with my new, (different) mh. It didn't work chassis batteries were up and down. Last week I found out my chassis batteries are bad. Two year old batteries.

Now with new batteries I'm going to try it again

I'll keep informed

Larry Payne  ⛳