Skip to main content
Topic: 450Hp Mercedes engine Performnace? (Read 723 times) previous topic - next topic

450Hp Mercedes engine Performnace?

Yahoo Message Number: 16339
I am in the market for a heavy duty Super C and many of the 2002-2007's have the 450HP Mercedes engine. Having not much knowledge on these engines I was wondering the reliability, serviceability and mpg of that engine.

Thanks Larry

Re: 450Hp Mercedes engine Performnace?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16341
The Mercedes is used a lot in some of the truck conversions. Especially the single rear axle models, typically rated at 450 hp, and tied to an automated manual trans. To my knowledge it does not have any reliability issues at any higher rates than some others. I do know the one complaint is the engine brake is weaker on the Mercedes. It uses a separate small valve in the chamber, instead of the regular valves. So due to limited size of this separate valve, it also makes for a weaker engine brake.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16342
Larry,

we have a 2008 hallmark 3303TS with the mbe 4000 engine that we are thinking about selling.

about 54,000 miles we had an o ring on the oil cooler line go bad around32,000, other than that just normal maintenance.

fuel mileage is about 8.2 avg dragging around a 4 dr jeep wrangler. when we had a stacker trailer with a 2dr jeep and 2 wheelers mileage was about 7.6 to 7.8

i always said,
the jeep weighs 4000 lbs and gets 16 mpg
the rig weighs 40,000 lbs and gets 8 mpg
you do the math.

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16343
ps: bad egr valve twice within 2 weeks and 200 miles og each other.
 ends up that apparently there was a bad batch and i got 2 of them.

agree on the engine brake being "different".

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16353
Thank you for the response. I'm sorry for the delay on acknowledge that as traveling.

I am concerned about the "weaker" jake brake as in the Rockies and my heavy trailer I prefer as much engine brake as I can get.

Thanks again for your comments.
Larry