Skip to main content
Topic: Empty Weight of a Kodiak Seneca (Read 955 times) previous topic - next topic

Empty Weight of a Kodiak Seneca

Yahoo Message Number: 16358
Does anyone have a empty weight for Kodiak based Seneca? Trying to figure max carrying capacity and my coach is covered for the winter and before I go uncover and drive to the scale I thought I would ask.

Also if anyone has weighed the coach when loaded what is that number? How close to max weight are you? Anyone go over? How do adjust your weight when you tow? (not trying to invoke the weight police ;) )

Thanks

Gary

Re: Empty Weight of a Kodiak Seneca

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16360
Unless you need a real exact number, inside usually a cabinet door there should be a tag with the dry weight as measured by the mfr. I believe that number is typically with half tank of fuel and some amount of water (half??) in the fresh tank and nothing else. It would save you having to uncover and drive to scale.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16361
Gary our 2007 Seneca 34SS weighed in at 19400 LB empty. Probably more important for me was to have the front and rear weighed separately. This allowed me to adjust the tire pressures using the Michelin tire charts. The fronts pressure went from 95 to 85 and handling improved greatly. Rears at 95.

Bobby

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16362

We discussed this several years ago.
When we had our 08 35GS, after looking at GM build codes and Allison info, I talked to Allison, Med duty Chev service dept and one of the head SENECA design engineers at JAYCO. They were all in agreement that the only difference between the 26,000 and 30,000 chassis was the parking pawl in the trany. The 1000 MH trany has a smaller parking pawl which can break if the coach is over 26,000 and the parking brake is not used. The trany owner's manual even states "over-loading can result in sudden movement". The ALLISON tech actually said, " besure to set the parking brake and you will be fine". I was running around 28,000 lbs.
JAYCO chose to stick to the lower GCVW because of licensing in some states, particularly out WEST, which was their biggest SENECA market.
I know some here disagree with running over the 26,000, but I had no issues pulling or stopping. I did have a Brake Buddy in the TOAD and elec brakes when I used a Tandem Tow dolly so I could haul our golf cart and TOAD.
Dave

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16365
We also tow more with ours and it works great. No overheating and stops fine with the trailer brakes adjusted properly. For the parking pawl, I apply the parking brake and shift to neutral and let the coach settle, then put it in park. This keeps any strain off the parking pawl. We also don't park and level with the trailer attached.

Ted Marriner, owner
CrazyTed's Racing
Virginia Beach, VA
757-619-3163

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16366
Just to be clear, I never actually overheated it, but it did run hot going up grades when towing. I was also surprised at how often the engine cooling fan came on at freeway speeds when towing. For most vehicles, freeway speeds drive enough air through the radiator to not have to turn the cooling fan on.

So when I looked at the Grill airflow opening, I realized it's quite blocked off, especially by the chrome bar and chevy symbol. So I'm going to make a wire mesh grill to increase the airflow.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16367
Issue is this... let's say you rear end some jerk who cuts in front of you (which happens ALL the time) and someone dies. Luckily you were prudent and have a dash cam. But you can bet your combined weight in excess of the legal limit will be an issue in court. Good luck with the parking prawl defense.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 16368
Many states no longer have weight rules for privately owned and operated motor homes. And your insurance is not invalidated by being overweight. Ask your insurance company. I would like to know of states that do have weight restrictions for privately owned rvs, as I believe none do now.