Skip to main content
Topic: A message from your Group Moderators (Read 1114 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A message from your Group Moderators

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16370
Merry Christmas to y'all too!

Kathy & I miss the Greyhawk and being regular participants here, but I still follow from the sidelines. We haven't bought a new RV yet, but are still searching and narrowing our choices. Still targeting a small trailer to make life simpler. The new F-150 continues to impress with its 25 mpg average and rated tow capacity. Now I just need to hook a trailer to it and head west...

Take care,
Greg

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16371
25 WOW. Is that 100% downhill? What engine have you got? I have a 2016 Expedition Platinum Max (EL) with the 3.5L TTV6, 22 inch wheels and adjustable suspension and I can't come close to that. If we drive to FLA at about 70 we occasionally get 20 mpg (and indicated and real are about a full mph apart). At the double nickel it moves up substantially though - but that would be a terrible trip to FLA at 55.

The Expy has a 9100 lb towing limit but that is only meaningful if everyone

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16372
Hi Don,

Your foot must be heavy :-) My F150 is a crewcab, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 spd xmsn, 3.55 rear end with max tow package. Supposedly 12,400 lbs tow capacity, but I don't think I'd want to try that. That's higher than my 3/4 ton truck was before. Supposedly the 2018 version even added a bit more.

I did a 2000 trip to NY and back with quite a load in the truck, but not towing. I averaged 25.6 mpg for the trip. I was shocked. I keep checking it to see if it was a fluke, but it's consistent. I'm sure when I go to tow or sport mode on the xmsn and out of 10-spd mode, it will drop considerably.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16373
That is really good - maybe the 10 speed is helping it. I think my rear end is 3.7+. Have the tow package but will end up never towing.

My son bought a GMC 2500HD with the 6L engine this year and he sees nothing even close to what you are getting. He kind of flipped a co

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16374
Hi Greg, would love to know what speed you averaged and how you measured the mpg? Thanks, Dave

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16375
I ran the speed limits and up to 5 mph above going up I-95, 81, two lanes thru the Adirondacks and back to NC. I checked the mileage two ways, one was just logging the trucks computer average and the other was logging miles and actual gas purchased. The trucks computer was a bit more optimistic than the actual calculations, but only by a few tenths of a mile per gallon. For the most part they were pretty close, give or take a mpg.

I did 190 mile trip last week, mostly interstate running 60-70 mph and got 25 mpg actual calculation.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16376
I think the 10-spd makes a big difference. I suspect going into 6-spd tow mode will change things considerably.

Don, I looked at the GM and since I'm a guy who swore he'd NEVER own another Ford after the 1994 Diesel I owned, it was a huge step for me to buy this 150. I tried to buy a Chevy work series 2500 with the 6L but it didn't have near the amenities and they couldn't touch the price of the 150 at the time. There were some very good incentives. I still tried to get the GM to come out on top, but ended up swallowing my promise not to buy a Ford. Mine isn't fancy, just the XLT version, but it's got more gadgets than I've had before.

The more I drive it, the more I like it. It will also force me to stick to my promise not to buy another big RV.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16377
Cool, thanks! Was it a 70 mph speed limit?

From: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com  on behalf of Greg Gimlick stuff@... [SuperCrvgroup]
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2017 10:57 PM
To: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [SuperCrvgroup] A message from your Group Moderators

I ran the speed limits and up to 5 mph above going up I-95, 81, two lanes thru the Adirondacks and back to NC. I checked the mileage two ways, one was just logging the trucks computer average and the other was logging miles and actual gas purchased. The trucks computer was a bit more optimistic than the actual calculations, but only by a few tenths of a mile per gallon. For the most part they were pretty close, give or take a mpg.

I did 190 mile trip last week, mostly interstate running 60-70 mph and got 25 mpg actual calculation.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16378
Merry Christmas
From Betty and I.
May all your travels be safe.
Best
Ron & Betty Hall

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 16381
Don Leslie  [SuperCrvgroup] wrote:

ps.  Seems like it was just yesterday when we were talking about your
Kodiak purchase and I said watch out of the screws in the rear cap.

Wow, there was an unhappy discovery, but it turned out okay in the end
:-) Once the long screws and sealant went in, never another issue there.
Lots of good memories....dropping the exhaust system in NM when it was
115 degrees, but able to lash it up with steel strapping. Then the front
A/C unit died later that day, fortunately the rear unit worked fine. Of
course on the way out west that same trip, the slide-out cover and main
awning unfurled going down I-70 thru KS....ahhhhhh memories :-)

Where did those 10+ years go - I'd sure like to know.

If you find them, let me know...although some I'd like to just forget :-)

Take care,
Greg

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 16382
and a Merry Christmas right back.

Have a safe and wonderful new year