Skip to main content
Topic: Onboard Battery Chargers & Trailer Battery/Inverter Setup (Read 845 times) previous topic - next topic

Onboard Battery Chargers & Trailer Battery/Inverter Setup

Yahoo Message Number: 16404
So I'm finally starting a project to make my Kodiak hauler more versatile by belly mounting my Onan 5500w generator. My thought is ill use two truck batteries I had laying around as spares for starting the generator and becoming my 12v aux power for all the none factory lights and add on crap I install on the truck. Right now this consists of some LED lights, Aftermarket Stereo, and Pure Sine Wave inverter. I would also wire the 12v + trailer wire to this set.

To keep both banks charged when the truck is running my plan was to install a Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR Automatic Charging Relay. The thought is this will allow me to keep both banks charged while going down the road, along with offer me a standby reserve in case I left the headlights on or door open for some odd reason. I could jump myself and be on my way.

Now if we are stopped camping, and running the generator I wanted to be able to keep those same two banks charged up so I thought about adding a NOCO Genius GEN2 2-Bank 20A Waterproof On-Board Smart Battery Charger. So this guy would do a couple things for me provide the power to the two banks while on generator power but also when I store the truck for a month at a time during the winter I could keep it plugged in and ready to go.

My question is how would I handle the scenario of the truck engine running and the generator running. This would be two separate charge circuits going to the batteries at the same time. To eliminate this I thought about using some relays on the grounds from the charger that I could tie to truck ignition that would hold open the ground if the truck was running preventing the charger from charging.

For my enclosed trailer:

It currently has a factory converter box 120v to 12v. All the lights are run off the single 12v battery but we have plenty of 120v outlets and such all around. The goal is to be able to use a small microwave, and possibly some electric blankets when staying overnight at car events but do this while on battery just to keep the noise down etc.

My thoughts here was to add an 1000-2000w pure sine wave inverter, and 2 or 4 6v Trojan T-105Plus batteries to create my silent 120v source.

I know this is a bunch of info but wanted to toss it out to the group since I know lots of you have experience with similar setups in the RV's

Thanks for your time!

Kendrick

Re: Onboard Battery Chargers & Trailer Battery/Inverter Setup

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16405
Is there a way to harness the power and not lose it? Doesn't Magnum make a hybrid inverter that accepts charges from multiple locations simultaneously? I think it's a 3000w though. I saw a couple run their AC using solar and battery from one.

Jay Hitaffer

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16406
It's better if you don't cross feed the banks. I just use a 3 position (A/B/Off) big red switch that works for the isolation.
I'm running a Victron Energy Multi-plus 3K inverter and the converter that came with my rig. (2006 Jayco Seneca 34SS).
I'm also running 800w of solar and have an additional 400AH of LIO batteries, 300AH of Lead Acid house batteries and the dual coach batteries with the ONAN 5500 generator on board.
The LIO batteries charge thru the solar or the inverter. The house LA charge thru the chassis generator, the Onan generator or with shore power thru the converter.
I do know that the inverter will charge 2 different battery banks, but the first rule of LIO is DONT mix charging.
Hope this helps

Monte
NmSkier Albuquerque NM

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16407
Your description sounds good to me. You should not need a separate battery charger. If you have a Progressive Dynamics 9100 that came out of the Gulf Stream. You may need a Charge Wizard if it doesn't have one. I have one. If it does not have one. Here is a link to Progressive Dynamics to check out what you have. https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16408
Don't know about this but I will relay a story told to me by the local kubota tractor parts guy. It seems someone came in making inquiries about the 2 cylinder diesel engine in the onan gen. He inquired about the installation of an alternator since the onan does not have one. The engine as I understand is the same as used in lawn tractors which is equipped with the alternator. Apparently, he was discussing using this alternator to charge the truck batteries when the truck was not running and while it was stored.

The short of the story is that he was informed that the stock kubota alternator could be installed but the related wiring was extensive because the kubota alternator does not have an internal regulator. Suggestion was made to use a chevy or gm alternator because the regulator is internal causing only minimal wiring issues.

He never returned, thus it is unknown what he did or did not do.

Good luck

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16409
My biggest issue is dry mounting locations for stuff.  The truck bed does not offer any good sealed compartments like in the RV so many of the RV direct products wont work in the environment. This is why I have went more along the lines of Marine equipment that has the ability to handle moisture. So far it sounds like the only real thing I should change is deciding on what direction I want to charge the batteries on the truck, either alternator or generator/battery charger. The A/B/C Manual switch would work pretty good and be simple to setup.

As for 12v battery life on the trailer and having enough amp hours to run the Microwave and some other 110v appliances what are others experiences with this in the RV's? How big are your house banks and how long do they last?

Kendrick

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16410
I had 4 12volt 27 series batteries in my motorhome. I could run the MV with the 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter with no problems. But how long I do not know. I had a generator auto start. Which would start generator when batteries dropped below 12 volt or temperature was over 80°. This kept the batteries charged because heat was more a problem than voltage.
You will be surprised how quiet the generator runs.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16412
I just added 2 batteries to my endura 6340
So now I have 4-6volts for total capacity of 450 amp hours. I also wired a 2000 watt inverter into my AC panel. Basically with all that I should be able to run my entire coach save the AC. I also have two 100 watt solar panels flat mount on the roof. Probably going to add another panel or two. In theory if you were to run that large of an inverter constantly under full load I could only manage about 1.5-2 hours before draining my batteries with no solar. Reality, my couch only pulls about 6-8 amps per hour and that is running multiple TVs. As it sits now I can pretty much run the coach indefinitely barring about 4 days in a row of rain. And that is all my interior lights and two 32in TVs with DVD players and microwaving a bag of popcorn and what not.

If you have a trailer I would say get a few panels and you will never need the genie except in the summer to run the AC, which is what I use mine for. I put my entire solar system in for less 500 bucks.

Thanks,

Cheis

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16424
Cheis,  As much as I want to install solar on the trailer, the one piece roof is keeping me from doing it.   I have a generator compartment that I can just add more batteries to seems a little easier.  I just don’t want to put any holes in the roof, but the idea of solar is interesting. Now what do you do with the surplus power from the solar or do you just use it during the day to supplement battery?  From: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 1:48 PMTo: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [SuperCrvgroup] Re: Onboard Battery Chargers & Trailer Battery/Inverter Setup    I just added 2 batteries to my endura 6340 So now I have 4-6volts for total capacity of 450 amp hours. I also wired a 2000 watt inverter into my AC panel.   Basically with all that I should be able to run my entire coach save the AC. I also have two 100 watt solar panels flat mount on the roof. Probably going to add another panel or two.  In theory if you were to run that large of an inverter constantly under full load I could only manage about 1.5-2 hours before draining my batteries with no solar.  Reality, my couch only pulls about 6-8 amps per hour and that is running multiple TVs. As it sits now I can pretty much run the coach indefinitely barring about 4 days in a row of rain. And that is all my interior lights and two 32in TVs with DVD players and microwaving a bag of popcorn and what not.  If you have a trailer I would say get a few panels and you will never need the genie except in the summer to run the AC, which is what I use mine for.  I put my entire solar system in for less 500 bucks.  Thanks,  Cheis  Sent from my iPhoneOn Jan 5, 2018, at 10:52 AM, ronjhall@... [SuperCrvgroup] <SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   I had 4 12volt 27 series batteries in my motorhome.  I could run the MV with the 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter with no problems. But how long I do not know. I had a generator auto start. Which would start generator when batteries dropped below 12 volt or temperature was over 80°. This kept the batteries charged because heat was more a problem than voltage. You will be surprised how quiet the generator runs. BestRon Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16425
Putting holes in the roof is a concern. I actually ran the wires in a pvc conduit into the lip of my refrigerator vent to avoid drilling holes in the roof (down the grey water vent tube is another popular location depending on where you mount your charge controller and batteries) and down that wall into the compartment where my charge controller is and that is the compartment next to the batteries. The key is having as short as runs of wires as possible to the charge controller and from the charger controller to the batteries.

The charge controller will regulate the extra energy produced. So yes once your batteries are topped off for the day yes the solar energy is extra capacity you can use during the day.

I guess you do still have to screw the panels in the roof. Or you could get those flexible ones that glue down on the roof. A little more expensive but no holes.

Something to think about. There are several websites that give good info for setting a solar system up. Handy bob solar has a ton of tips.

Thanks,

Chris
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 16426
Hi Kendrick They have flexible flat solar panels that glue on  I just happened to see the installation on tv the other day That would be the extended of what I know about them.Larry  From: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 10:39 PMTo: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [SuperCrvgroup] Re: Onboard Battery Chargers & Trailer Battery/Inverter Setup    Cheis, As much as I want to install solar on the trailer, the one piece roof is keeping me from doing it.   I have a generator compartment that I can just add more batteries to seems a little easier.  I just don’t want to put any holes in the roof, but the idea of solar is interesting. Now what do you do with the surplus power from the solar or do you just use it during the day to supplement battery? From: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Sunday, January 7, 2018 1:48 PMTo: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [SuperCrvgroup] Re: Onboard Battery Chargers & Trailer Battery/Inverter Setup   I just added 2 batteries to my endura 6340 So now I have 4-6volts for total capacity of 450 amp hours. I also wired a 2000 watt inverter into my AC panel.   Basically with all that I should be able to run my entire coach save the AC. I also have two 100 watt solar panels flat mount on the roof. Probably going to add another panel or two.  In theory if you were to run that large of an inverter constantly under full load I could only manage about 1.5-2 hours before draining my batteries with no solar.  Reality, my couch only pulls about 6-8 amps per hour and that is running multiple TVs. As it sits now I can pretty much run the coach indefinitely barring about 4 days in a row of rain. And that is all my interior lights and two 32in TVs with DVD players and microwaving a bag of popcorn and what not. If you have a trailer I would say get a few panels and you will never need the genie except in the summer to run the AC, which is what I use mine for.  I put my entire solar system in for less 500 bucks. Thanks, Cheis Sent from my iPhoneOn Jan 5, 2018, at 10:52 AM, ronjhall@... [SuperCrvgroup] <SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   I had 4 12volt 27 series batteries in my motorhome.  I could run the MV with the 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter with no problems. But how long I do not know. I had a generator auto start. Which would start generator when batteries dropped below 12 volt or temperature was over 80°. This kept the batteries charged because heat was more a problem than voltage. You will be surprised how quiet the generator runs. BestRon Hall