Skip to main content
Topic: Life Expectancy of brake pads (Read 753 times) previous topic - next topic

Life Expectancy of brake pads

Yahoo Message Number: 16469
Bought 2007 Seneca 34SS in March 2007. Truck shop said brakes looked new despite 37k miles. Now have 46k and hearing squeaking at slow speed in town and in RV parks. On road now in SanDiego so not near my normal maintenance shop. What has been your experience on typical mileage before brakes need work?

Thanks for your responses.

Re: Life Expectancy of brake pads

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16470
Correction... bought March 2017 not 2007. Also, always use exhaust brake when possible. But there have been many times had to brake hard for those jerks who cut in front, as we are all too familiar I am sure!!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16471
2 things that are some what annoying to us motorhome owners. Front spring slap and squealing brakes. This is a normal condition.
Long life for brakes is common on our trucks. The original design of the chassis was for local city use. Which required high use of brakes. Things that have been problem. are brake fluid and hoses.
Change brake fluid every few years. Check the front brake hoses every year. While you are at it check rear also.
There have been some reports of brake pucks sticking. This is usually caused by corrosion around the pucks. Our trucks do not have pins that calipers move on. Instead they have 4 pucks on each caliper. 2 on each side. Gives more power to each brake and cures the frozen pins problem.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16472
Not sure but I know my dad's C5500 service truck (20k pounds) is close to 100k on original pads. I think what is more likely is the pads glazed and that's causing the squeak. Just need to turn your wheels full lock one direction and look at the thickness of the pads.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16473
I sold our 2007 Greyhawk 32SS last year with 57,000 miles on the
original brakes. The pads were still fine although one drum had glazed
enough to burn off during a rather long (22 mile) descent in the Big
Horn mtns. Lots of smoke, but the brake place who checked it out said
nothing had been damaged, just glaze got too hot and smoldered.

I had the fluid changed prior to that and system flushed. The fluid
looked surprisingly good, but I did that on a time basis along with
antifreeze, etc.

Ron nailed it with the front spring slap, it's just something to get
used to and mine certainly did that. There was an aftermarket kit that
was supposed to help that, but I never bothered to get one since reports
were mixed over how long it really worked.

I don't own it anymore, but I sure am a fan of the Kodiak chassis.

Greg

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16475
My MH was close to 90k with original brakes. If you detect high pad wear. Replace the pads before the destroy the rotors. Easy to replace pads and fairly cheap. Rotors are expensive with lots of labor involved.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16476
Mine has 60k on it with most of the pad thickness left. Squealing is fairly normal. Grinding means pads are gone. If your pads are worn out at 40k, I would think calipers are bound up.