Skip to main content
Topic: Suspension question (Read 1399 times) previous topic - next topic

Suspension question

Yahoo Message Number: 16567
2005 Kodiak C5500 chassis. I've had pretty bad side-to-side rocking ever since I got the coach, and have had that tipsy feeling on some curves. I've just been living with it until it got its turn on the to-do list. The shop I took it to for an eval said the shocks are bad and they recommend Monroe shocks at around $780 (shocks only). I have always heard good things about Koni shocks, and also Bilstein (sp?), but Monroe hasn't been discussed much.

I'd like to hear what experience you guys have had with shocks. Also, with the symptoms I described, do you think shocks are likely the culprit?

Thanks!

Jim Blackshire

Re: Suspension question

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16568
Hi Jim,
I ended up putting $7k into my 05 to make it drive right. Koni shocks are a good start. I also put in an additional leaf spring in the back. From there I put in both roll bars and sway bars all the way around. Last I had a steering dampener installed. All were good upgrades except the last...I'm still on the fence. What part of the country are you in? Maybe we can square your rig up on local recommendations. The Kodiak is a great chassis, but it needs some help to carry a motorhome.
Chris Mize
(559)250-3153

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16569
I also have a 2005, Jayco Seneca 35GS, on the 5500 chassis with the Duramax diesel. I like you had a lot of rolling and put on the Koni shocks. The rolling all but went away... but I still would get a lot of push from being passed on the interstates. A couple years later I had my rear springs upgraded to the heaver rate and my ride improved and the push has disappeared.

My understanding is that the Koni shocks work both extending and compressing, the other shocks only work compressing... Koni should be better at reducing roll.

Billy

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16571
Koni shocks and front and an additional rear sway bars made a huge difference in my 2008 Seneca 34SS Kodiak C5500 Duramax.
Bob

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16572
The konis have a dual damping function for helping sway. I have liked them so far.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16573
Greetings-I have a 2006 Jayco Seneca 34SS and to end the rock and roll adventures I went with the Koni's and would do it again in a heartbeat. We've been to AK twice since the mods.

Additionally I added the following:

Front Davis TruTrac bar (TRAC-C45-5500)
Rear Track bar by SuperSteer (SS500TB)
Koni shocks (8805-1023 and 90-2530)
Steer Safe kit (MFS081)
All the work was done by Statkus Engines here in Albuquerque, NM

Hope this helps

Monte

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16574
Thanks for all the responses. I'm currently located in Casa Grande, AZ. To add some clarifying info to the op, the coach tracks straight as an arrow, with minimal sway when being passed by or passing trucks. There appears to be a steering stabilizer and sway bar installed by a previous owner. The ride is rough and noisy, partly due to 245/75 Michelins at 100 psi all around, and I assume partly affected by bad shocks.

Other suspension related configuration includes rear Roadmaster airbags and no obvious rear leaf springs. I have not found anywhere to easily adjust them, so I have no idea if they are working well. I think I have a leak in the airbag system since the compressor will run about 5 or more minutes after sitting overnight.

So far, it looks like the Koni's are in a league of their own. Looking forward to more ideas.

JimB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16576

Your tire pressure is not helping. When we had the 08 35GS, after weighing, the Michelin pressure chart said 90 front and 95 rear.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16577
Jim,

David beat me while I was typing this.....Try adjusting tire pressures based upon the weight of the axle. That is, have each axle weighed separately and use those number to adjust your TP according to the Michel

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 16578
I also have a 2005 Gulf Stream. As others have stated already, Koni shocks help a lot. That was my first upgrade. My second upgrade was installing SuperSprings in the rear. Not sure which one helps the most, but the two together made a HUGE improvement. My greatest fear was driving with high cross winds. Not any more. Almost all the sway has been eliminated.
Good luck,
Bill

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 16579
Have owned my 2008 34SS for 3 years and put on 40,000 miles. First trip the in RV, 3 years ago, it was all over the road. Changed to Konis and that made a world of difference. The second year I added a spring in the rear, made another big improvement. Very stable and easy to drive, now. Thanks to eveyone on this site for all the comments. Glad to learn from all your experience.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 16580
As I dig a little deeper in the well, I am comfortable going with the Koni's all around and will get the work done at StraightLine Suspension in Mesa. I'll have the rest of my suspension checked and go from there. I have the Link Ultra Ride rear suspension replacement system on my coach, so I will have it checked out as well. Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Now to start a go-fund-me page to pay for it all!!!!!  ;-)

JimB

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 16582
Koni part numbers for my 2006 Jayco Seneca 34SS on a C-5500 chassis
Koni shocks (8805-1023 and 90-2530)
Hope this helps

Monte

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 16587
Hello Jim,

I noticed that several members with experience responded but I also noted that they got deathly silent when you mentioned starting a go fund page to pay for your upcoming work. You may be forced to sell pencils or maybe apples on the street corner.

Thanks for the information. I will monitor your progress. I didn't know members were having these problems because our 6362 rides so smooth, as they say live a magic carpet ride.

Good luck,

Don

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 16589
Don,

Yes, hopefully, the joke was obvious, but one never knows; perhaps selling apples with pencils stuck in them...?

I am still waiting to get out of the shop for other issues but will keep folks advised as to parts, recommendations, etc.

JimB