Skip to main content
Topic: Banks SixGun Tuner (Read 1356 times) previous topic - next topic

Banks SixGun Tuner

Yahoo Message Number: 16585
My Bigfoot ('05 Duramax LLY) has a Banks Six Gun tuner installed from a previous owner. Does anyone here have experience with these tuners? I just got a screen for it but haven't hooked it up yet since I know very little about them. I'm doing some research and hoping to get some useful info.

As always, Thanks!

--

Jim Blackshire

Re: Banks SixGun Tuner

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16588
Thanks for the link. I should add some info to my plight. I've downloaded the manuals and read through them, but without some experience, I'm not sure I am getting the desired results. For example, there is a default setup for guages; has anyone found a better setup? I have a transmission temp guage on the dash, so what would be a good replacement for that? I anticipate leaving the tuner in economy mode (#2) but there may be times, like in the mountains, when I would be better served by either going back to stock or maybe going to a higher power mode. That means paying close attention to exhaust gas temps and tranny temps, I think.

I also have no documentation on what the previous owner installed as options, so I need to check egt themocouple at a minimum. I guess I'm in need of a shop that is familiar with these tuners to kind of get a noob tutorial that amplifies the manuals for real-world experience.

I am determined to get this tuner figured out, but I hope to avoid blowing up my engine in the process ;-) !!

JinB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16590
The main thing is EGT temps and Coolant Temps.   Id say before spending time with the tuner go clean out the cooling stack on the truck. So few do it but it can night and day difference keeping the rig moving during the heat and the mountains.  #2 settings are often pretty safe but still drive by the temp gauges.  The 6.6 will heat up the oil fast, and then heat up the coolant problem is the coolant will cool down faster once you get going downhill before the oil will so it becomes a vicious cycle.  Not trying to turn this into a heat/cooling conversation but I feel like it leads right into the tunes/tuning.  Higher power tunes will be harder to keep EGT’s under control so if anything you might want to go back to stock but I have a feeling #2 is pretty good balance.  Disregard if your truck isn’t a Duramax I thought I read that at some point.  Kendrick   From: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2018 11:03 AMTo: supercrvgroupSubject: Re: [SuperCrvgroup] Banks SixGun Tuner    Thanks for the link.  I should add some info to my plight.  I've downloaded the manuals and read through them, but without some experience, I'm not sure I am getting the desired results.  For example, there is a default setup for guages; has anyone found a better setup?  I have a transmission temp guage on the dash, so what would be a good replacement for that?  I anticipate leaving the tuner in economy mode (#2) but there may be times, like in the mountains, when I would be better served by either going back to stock or maybe going to a higher power mode.  That means paying close attention to exhaust gas temps and tranny temps, I think.    I also have no documentation on what the previous owner installed as options, so I need to check egt themocouple at a minimum.  I guess I'm in need of a shop that is familiar with these tuners to kind of get a noob tutorial that amplifies the manuals for real-world experience.  I am determined to get this tuner figured out, but I hope to avoid blowing up my engine in the process ;-)  !!  JinB  On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 11:30 PM David Houck DHouck2032@... [SuperCrvgroup] <SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   Here's a link to Banks web page where you can download the owners manual.. Hope that helps..http://shop.bankspower.com/i-1036-63739-six-gun-diesel-tuner-with-banks-idash-5-inch-screen-for-use-with-2004-2005-chevy-6-6l-lly.htmlSent from AOL Mobile MailOn Friday, April 27, 2018 Jim Blackshire james.blackshire <SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:  My Bigfoot ('05 Duramax LLY) has a Banks Six Gun tuner installed from a previous owner.  Does anyone here have experience with these tuners?  I just got a screen for it but haven't hooked it up yet since I know very little about them.  I'm doing some research and hoping to get some useful info.  As always, Thanks!  -- Jim Blackshire  -- Jim Blackshire

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16591
Six Gun Tuner. I have a 5500 Kodiak diesel 2005 model year, the guy I got the rig from installed the six gun and a EGT
Exhaust Gas Temperature guage when he took delivery of the Gulfstream in 2005. He ran it on #2 setting and so have I it preforms great, Caution: when hammering down or going up a steep hill keep a eye on the EGT guage, don't let it go over into the red or keep it pegged for long periods. Also don't use the Exhaust Brake the butterfly type in exhaust pipe immediately after a high temperature run because you need good flow to cool things down. If everything is working properly it's great. Haven't had any problems in the right years I have had the RV.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16592
Jim,

I can't speak about the 6 gun turner as I have no experience.

Our unit has an Edge unit which has the gauges you are talking to include the temp probes.

I have tried operating it at the economy mode, stock and adding horsepower mode. Believe it or not it handles and performs better when there is about 150 hp added. I have not been able to notice an significant difference between the fuel mileages but it sure runs better. Part of that might be the removal of the guts from the exhaust converter and any de smogging that can be done. Yes, with the extra horsepower, it requires to monitor the exhaust temp and the transmission temp. The transmission temp does not seem to move very unless on is backing and pulling up many times in an attempt to wiggle into a position for a parking spot or hook up a trailer, so the transmission temp is not a worry. On the other hand, the exhaust temp can climb quickly but you watch the temp as it climbs such as going up a long hill it can be controlled. It seems that the biggest problem is allowing the temp to climb in the engine without allowing the transmission to down shift. Before getting to far into the hill, I try to get the transmission to down shift which of course raises the rpm and this extra engine rpm will blow out the heat. As my friend says, "Don't lug it, get the rpms up and go." Don't know if he is correct but it works for me.

While typing, just saw the message from Kendrick. I didn't read close enough I guess as I am talking about the Duramax but if it isin't . Sorry,

Any way, best,

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16593
What does everyone think max egt temps are? I also have the edge tuner with the cat converter knocked out. I try not to go over 1200. I agree also that it seems to run cooler with a little more power added. Run mine on tow mode. Which I think would be the 2nd level. Think the extra fuel keeps it a little cooler also. Running on level 1 economy mode seems to have higher egts than level 2.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16594
I have an EFI Live tuner on my c5500 with a custom tune from Idaho Rob at ATP trucks. Huge difference. I also have the edge insight with EGT probe for gauges. The reason I went with EFI Live is I deleted my egr and DPF on my 2010 Seneca.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16595
Went to synthetic transmission fluid and have never seen the temp over 180... Using the plus 40 hp/100 lb setting.. just never let get go over 1200 deg.. just my 2¢ worth...
And

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16596
Forgot to mention.. I tow an 28' enclosed car trailer
With 2 Harleys and a Jeep Jku.. about 8500#... Barely see the transmission gauge go over 240 deg.. mine is a 2008 with the supposed 5 speed tranny. For me. It's Been bulletproof... Again... My 2¢ worth!
🎂

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 16597
High temperature is 1350° limit. I tried to keep mine below 1250°.
Not using Exhaust Brake after climbing a hill may not be the best plan. Especially if going back down the other side of hill. There is no difference in a Exhaust Brake in exhaust pipe and in turbo. They block the exhaust coming out of engine. Location may be better in a exhaust pipe type brake. It is located further form the engine than the turbo brake. For those that do not know the difference. 2005 and 2005 trucks had the exhaust pipe type exhaust brake. 2006 and newer had the turbo vane exhaust brake.
Location to EGT probe can make a difference in EGT temperatures. Mine was in the exhaust header. This gives the highest temperatures reading without having the probe inside a cylinder.
My exhaust temperatures dropped off as soon as I let off throttle and let exhaust brake engage. A good amount of exhaust escapes past exhaust brake when engaged to cool exhaust system.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 16598
Don't know much about these critters other that what others have told me and now am getting too old to remember the conversation and forgot where I put any notes.

I was referred to a shop that works on a lot to Duramax engines and in particular the smaller style, maybe 3500, that the mechanics use for service trucks in the KY coalfields. Don't know if it is particular shop or the customer but the majority of these trucks I have seen have the fuel tuned up so much, I guess, to their extent black exhaust looks like it is from an old steam locomotive. In fact, they just disappear out of sight in that smoke.

This shop insists in drilling a hole in the exhaust manifold where the pyrometer is inserted to get the most accurate temp.

Don't know anything about the exhaust brake or which models had them and which didn't but it seems they are different from the Jake brake. It seems the Jake brake exhausts more than these models would. I only have the rocker switch that works thru the transmission ? ? ? ? but don't use it very much.

I was told by the shop that installed my edge that the 3500 service trucks they set up don't have the exhaust brake because they want to put in as much air as possible then remove the exhaust as quickly as possible and as much as possible to keep the temps down. Don't know just what I remember them telling me

Some one said it might not be a good idea to refrain from using the exhaust brake going down the back side of the hill. That is the route these 3500's take, even if they had such a brake. It seems they climb the hill at the same speed with which they desend the hill. Just thinking, it seems that some of these trucks have a dual exhaust with the exhaust tips exiting just behind the truck cab.

Don't know if these trucks last a long time or are simply burned up but I can tell you that when you are traveling thru the ups and downs of the KY coalfields, and if you look in mirror to see a smoking truck that looks like it might be on fire, just wait a minute because it will pass you like you are backing up and go out of sight before you have the opportunity to get a second look. The only place you can actually look at these trucks is when they are stopped at a restaurant for lunch. Good Luck. Don

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 16599
I can see why the shop does what they do.
Our trucks start out at 300 hp and 520 torque. The pickup start at 350-360hp and higher on later models. So doing a 2 increase (40 to 60 hp) puts our trucks at about what the pickups had stock.
Our trucks have larger intakes and exhaust systems. Mine came with 3 1/2" exhaust. I removed the CAT and muffler and installed a straight thru muffler. The restriction in the complete system was the OEM Exhaust Brake at 3". I put a 4" Pacbrake in.
If you go over to Diesel Place and read up on what the guys do to get high power out of a engine your shop is in line with what is done. Your talking HP in the 500+.
What we need is torque at low RPM's. Under 3000 rpms. Not sure what engine you have. But it's probably 2006 or newer. Which has the vane exhaust brake as part of the turbo.
About the only time I turned Exhaust brake off is when I want the MH to accelerate as it goes down hill. Otherwise I want it on to aid in braking or controlling speed instead of using the brake pedal.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 16600
Lot's of good input here, thanks! So let me see if I can make some sense of it all.

1. Clean cooling stack. My rig is 12 - 13 years old, and likely has never been done. I will get that done as soon as I can.

2. EGT probe. My rig is in the shop for CEL EC P0299 issue, so I can't check it until I get it back. I hope that was installed along with the Banks. The online description of the P0299 code includes possible faulty EGR valve. If that's the case, would you guys recommend that I do not replace it? I have no idea if it's as simple as just removing the guts and bolting the pipes back together, or if it needs to be part of a more extensive mod.

3. Exhaust temp. It seems that keeping it to 1200 - 1250 is the accepted norm.

4. My rig has the PACbrake (not sure of diameter, but PAC's website only shows a 4") and I use it a lot, in fact, I rarely turn off the switch. I also have the tow/haul/overdrive switch, which I keep on when on level-ish ground, but I'll turn it off when in the mountains. I use my cruise control set at 65 (GPS speed since my tires are oversize), which keeps my RPM's at just over 2k. I'll be curious to see if the Banks will change my power curve enough to notice.

5. Banks settings. If I recall, setting #1 is stock, #2 is economy, and #3 is the first level power boost. I don't think I'll go much higher unless after a lot of experimenting and note taking.

6. Transmission temps. I have what appears to be a stock temp gauge which goes from 160 - 250 - 300 deg. I routinely get up close to 250 when climbing and towing my '08 Enclave (~5200 lbs), but the tranny temp seems to do better when I swallow my pride and tuck in behind a semi and keep it around 40 - 45 mph. Is this consistent with what you guys are seeing?

I invite comments and suggestions on the above, or whatever else pops into your heads as needed. Again, thanks muich. This is starting to be less daunting.

JimB

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 16601
1 Good Idea on the cooling stack
2. I installed a blocker plate for EGR.
3. Good temperatures.
4. 65 and 2100 is what you will have with your set. Less LOD would save fuel.
5. No experience with Banks.
6. My trans temps stayed below 250°. All our MH's came from factory with synthetic trans fluid. According to Allison that is good temperature

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 16602
I have a 2005 Seneca, Duramax, LLY (i think). I went to diesel to avoid the constant downshifting with the V10.
The duramax did much much better, but I wanted a little more.(tow a jeep liberty 4500# approx.). After a lot of reading I bought a Banks tuner model that was recommended by banks. Without going to the file cabinet, I don't know what model it is (approx 2015). I also bought the touch display/control the IQ. I display -Trans Temp, RPM, EGT, boost, and power number level (1-6). This has been a learning experience. First, I like the rig, and my Banks tuner.

I don't set it and go. I constantly monitor hills and grades changing the power levels from 2 thru 4 once or twice a 5.
I drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom of the exhaust manifold near the back to install the thermocouple for the EGT display. The EGT is very responsive to the throttle position especially when pulling a long grade.
After fearful trial and error, I have settled on an occasional 1350 degree f, with not much worry around a constant 1200-1250.
I use the 2 setting on long flat stretches, and 3 for most of my driving.
Personally I will run a good grade in the 4 setting, 2200-2500 RPM 4th gear as long as I can.
Settings 4 and 5 seem to introduce enough extra fuel, and timing of the fuel, that the engine temp stays a little lower, more power and less shifting because the engine is maintaining its rpm vs mph.

I tried a higher RPM (2800-2900) setting 3) going west out of needles (90 degrees morning) and my trans got to the alarm level and expelled a very small amount of fluid around the seal , the engine was above normal, but not hot. Settings 4 and 5 seem to introduce enough extra fuel, and timing of the fuel, that the engine temp stays a little lower.

Ralph

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 16603
More great info, thanks! We're heading back to Maryland in a couple or three weeks so I'll have a lot of road time to play with settings and temps. I'm already more comfortable with the Banks as a result of just discussing it with folks. I hope everyone will please feel free to continue to add to the discussion as desired.

JimB

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 16604
Not sure if you can delete the EGR with the Banks system. Need something to turn it off or it will throw codes. They make cheap blocker plates that bolt inbetween the valve and the egr system. That's what I used but had it disabled with my EFI Live tune.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 16605
My 2007 34SS threw a code saying the EGR was bad. Had it replaced, few hours of labor cost, can't remember the cost of the part.

I pull a 3400 lb CRV and on mountain passes slow to about 40-50 mph. Id rather be easy on the equipment. If I stomp on it is starts using more oil... I usually can go a full 5k with only using a quart or 2. Example: going from Phoenix up to Sonoma I used 1/2 quart... i went all the way from Seattle to Phoenix along the coast (hwy 101) hardly used any.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 16606
I forgot that there was more to than a blocker plate to block EGR. I installed a Kennedy Diesel. Finger Stick. It blocks faults from the EGR from getting to the ECM.
Here is a link to what I purchased. Choose which engine you have.
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults3.cfm?Category=3&SubCategory=211&SubCategory2=204

Best
Ron Hall