Skip to main content
Topic: Tire change tools for Gulfstream Endura (Read 887 times) previous topic - next topic

Tire change tools for Gulfstream Endura

Yahoo Message Number: 16655
Been trying to find the tools for changing the tires on my endura , the item for dropping the tire from the carrier and all the other items that would have been in the kit. anyone of any ideas where to get this ??

Thanks for any info

Re: Tire change tools for Gulfstream Endura

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16656
The one I had looked like it was hand made. A socket that fits the hex coming out rear of MH. Then use it on a speed handle or drill motor. I do not know the size of socket. There was also a locknut and hanger stud that held wheel in place. A 3/4" deep socket and ratchet should remove it.
You should Lube the lift mechanism yearly.

I carried a 4' pipe, 3/4" breaker and 30mm deep socket to break the wheel lug nuts loose. You will need a 6" extension to get at lug nuts on rear wheels. To get the wheel covers off I got a tool from Camping World to take the 2 nuts that hold wheel covers on.
Wheel lug nuts should be torqued to 400 ft lbs. I got my 100 lbs grand daughter to put all her weight on end of the 4' pipe above. It will take more than 400 ft lbs to break them loose.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16665
I didn't know there was a kit because it would be difficult for an owner to change these tires. I did see one guy that had a Torque Multifier that he carried in case the road truck did not have the ability to remove the lug nuts. It seemed to be somewhat simple in that the socket went over the lug nut and you turned a crank.

But if you are able to remove the lug nuts, how are you going to jack the flat tire off the ground?  I read in the literature regarding the hydraulic jacks that they were not designed for or should be used for lifting the vehicle to perform tire changes. Even if one ignores these instructions, presume you are able to remove the front wheel and replace it, that is going to be only 1/2 as troublesome as the rear. This chassis is not designed the same as larger chassis and trailers. If you spend any time at a tire shop that caters to large trucks and trailers, you will notice short pieces or 2x4's and 2x6's laying around. When a truck or trailer with an outside rear flat shows up, they simply have them drive the inside dual upon one of they wooden blocks. This automatically jacks up the outside flat. Could it work on the Kodiak? Of course, however the difference in the 2 vehicles is when the outside dual is removed from the trailer or larger truck, the inside dual is still secured with lug nuts on each lug. That is not the case with the Kodiak as when the rear lugs nuts are removed, it loosens both rear wheels requiring some support. Once again, even if one ignores the instructions regarding the hydraulic jacks and attempts to use them, there is still the problem of 2 loose wheels on the rear. If the larger truck has an inside flat, then a jack is required and both wheels are removed.

Usually when the truck maker feels it is safe for the consumer to change a flat tire, they supply a lug wrench and jack. As the Kodiak and larger trucks makers do not do this, maybe they feel it is unsafe. Remember people get killed each year with accidents related to flats and tires.

It is my understanding from information provided to me by others that some of the larger Class A's have the same lug nut arrangement as found on trailers and 18 wheels but I have never seen one of they attempting to use the hydraulic jack or a cheater bar in the way of a pipe to change a flat.

I have noticed that if these owners have a flat or blow out on the rear, they slow down and drive to a tire shop. However, if the blow out occurs on the front, they simply call for a road truck.

That is the rules by which I live.

This is not a pickup and one false move could kill one in seconds. Any time or cash saved by attempting to change a flat is not worth maybe ending a trip by being in the hospital or funeral home.

I don't mean to be out of line or talk down to you or anyone but attempting to change a tire on something this size is serious to me and I plan to leave it to professionals that do it every day with the proper tools, knowledge and know how.

Please don't presume it is easy and end up getting hurt or killed.

Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16667
Oh, I forgot to relate a story to you.

A friend told me about visiting a very large company that operates over 1/2 the country and walking behind a building. To his surprise, he saw 3 employee and a pick up truck. He looked and it appeared that 2 of the employees were "look outs" while the 3rd was changing a tire on a pick up truck. He asked what was going on to be told that he was exactly correct in his presumption. 2 of the employees were watching for anyone that could find them changing the flat.
Of course, he questioned them to learn that it was policy to have a repair truck make any tire repairs or change flats but they indicated they needed the pickup to do their job and did not have the time to wait. Therefore, they were hiding behind the building where they could not be seen and changing it themselves.
He asked why the secrecy to be advised that if they were found changing the flat, or even were told that they changed a flat, they would be fired on the spot.
Sounds like the company is concerned about the employees safety in regard to jacking and changing flats on a pickup
Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16668
I made my own "kit" because I go to remote places and I don't want to wait hours and hours for someone to come change a tire.

$50 short 5 ton bottle jack - you can use the rv's hydraulic jacks to lift part of the load, and use the the bottle jack to do the rest.

3/4" drive 600 ft-lb torque wrench that I bought off ebay for $150. Checked it's accuracy against a known good wrench.

3/4" drive 30 mm socket and extensions (for rear tires)

I welded a 3/4" nut onto the rod that lowers the spare tire so I could use a ratchet on it

Now add Muscles.......

From: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com  on behalf of Donald Gryder dgryder@... [SuperCrvgroup]
Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2018 8:00 AM
To: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [SuperCrvgroup] Tire change tools for Gulfstream Endura

I didn't know there was a kit because it would be difficult for an owner to change these tires. I did see one guy that had a Torque Multifier that he carried in case the road truck did not have the ability to remove the lug nuts. It seemed to be somewhat simple in that the socket went over the lug nut and you turned a crank.

But if you are able to remove the lug nuts, how are you going to jack the flat tire off the ground? I read in the literature regarding the hydraulic jacks that they were not designed for or should be used for lifting the vehicle to perform tire changes. Even if one ignores these instructions, presume you are able to remove the front wheel and replace it, that is going to be only 1/2 as troublesome as the rear. This chassis is not designed the same as larger chassis and trailers. If you spend any time at a tire shop that caters to large trucks and trailers, you will notice short pieces or 2x4's and 2x6's laying around. When a truck or trailer with an outside rear flat shows up, they simply have them drive the inside dual upon one of they wooden blocks. This automatically jacks up the outside flat. Could it work on the Kodiak? Of course, however the difference in the 2 vehicles is when the outside dual is removed from the trailer or larger truck, the inside dual is still secured with lug nuts on each lug. That is not the case with the Kodiak as when the rear lugs nuts are removed, it loosens both rear wheels requiring some support. Once again, even if one ignores the instructions regarding the hydraulic jacks and attempts to use them, there is still the problem of 2 loose wheels on the rear. If the larger truck has an inside flat, then a jack is required and both wheels are removed.

Usually when the truck maker feels it is safe for the consumer to change a flat tire, they supply a lug wrench and jack. As the Kodiak and larger trucks makers do not do this, maybe they feel it is unsafe. Remember people get killed each year with accidents related to flats and tires.

It is my understanding from information provided to me by others that some of the larger Class A's have the same lug nut arrangement as found on trailers and 18 wheels but I have never seen one of they attempting to use the hydraulic jack or a cheater bar in the way of a pipe to change a flat.

I have noticed that if these owners have a flat or blow out on the rear, they slow down and drive to a tire shop. However, if the blow out occurs on the front, they simply call for a road truck.

That is the rules by which I live.

This is not a pickup and one false move could kill one in seconds. Any time or cash saved by attempting to change a flat is not worth maybe ending a trip by being in the hospital or funeral home.

I don't mean to be out of line or talk down to you or anyone but attempting to change a tire on something this size is serious to me and I plan to leave it to professionals that do it every day with the proper tools, knowledge and know how.

Please don't presume it is easy and end up getting hurt or killed.

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16669
And I forgot various small blocks of wood to support the head of the torque wrench for the rear tires, due to using the extensions.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16670
Ok, good morning campers. Captain Jerry from Baytown Texas here with my 2014 Super C Chateau - F550 Diesel, 34 ft. My coach leveling system will lift the entire coach to change any tire needed but I do like the idea of a small bottle jack for the extra "if/when needed" situation. Now, problem is my coach does not have a spare. Yes, I agree - WHAT? I have 19.5 tires that were "Continental tires" but had 2 blow outs within 10 hours of each other last year. The tires were 4 years old and had about 25k miles on them. Zero idea what happened. I subsequently went with Michelin Tires and even found a extra rim but must go to lots of effort to mount it and/or create a mounting bracket under the rear area. Ok, now about changing the tire. I generally carry a larger 4 way wrench and sometimes even carry a 18v Dewalt Impact tool. There are also several "elect" impacts that will work, once a person uses the 4 way to break it loose. Check out Northern Tool or Harbor Freight and get the stuff you might need. Hope that helps.
NOW, about tires. I chose the Michelin Tires based on info from a college friend that works for Exxon rubber and he actually test tires for a living. I know, LOL, tuff job. He stated that Michelin tires are absolutely the best tires hands down. They seriously control "everything" during the manufacturing of the tire making them superior to any tire out there. Wow and double wow. After the Continental tire blow outs, I went with Michelin and am pleased with my decision so far. I also found a $30 laser temp checker and check the tire temps at various places during my trip including the trailer tires.
I also went on "Amazon" and purchased a "driving camera" since I am often far from home and might need evidence in the event of an accident and also just 'cause it is a cool camera. I have had a few close calls with truckers almost clipping my front bumper but try to stay alert and watch the idiot drivers. I also have a "train horn" on the coach that lets me "wake em" up in the event of their bad driving. Lastly - my coach also has an after-market alarm, for when I stop at a Walmart and I want to make sure my coach is still where I left it. It also has a really long range remote start option that allows me to get the a/c up and running while still shopping. Good luck and happy trails.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16671
Seriously I don't think a four-way will remove that tire, or the battery impact.
400# of torque required. I have a socket, extension, 3/4 inch breaker bar and a three foot heavy wall pipe.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16672
I have one of them torque amplifiers. Works good. On a shelf somewhere here. Should have given it to person that bought my MH.
In 11 years of owning my MH. I had to call road services 2 times. Both times the service truck did not have proper equipment to change tires. First one did not have correct size socket and wanted to lift front of MH with a jack under front springs. Second was on a inner rear tire. Truck did not have big enough tools to take lug nuts off. I had the tools. The serviceman and I changed the tire with no problems with my tools. Used MH jacks both times to get tire off ground. Service trucks had blocks to put under axle.

Best
Ron Hall