Skip to main content
Topic: Onan 5.5 HDKBA Dipstick tube leak (Read 825 times) previous topic - next topic

Onan 5.5 HDKBA Dipstick tube leak

Yahoo Message Number: 16684
This is not a new topic I'm sure, but all I need is a link to find the conversation on this tube leak. The tube has a split in the rubber as it connects to the steel tube going into the engine.

Thanks,

Joe Marinello

Re: Onan 5.5 HDKBA Dipstick tube leak

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16685
I did a search for dipstick here on Super C. Got all kinks of hits. Click on the magnifying glass in upper right corner of forums groups header. I did mine around 2013.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16686
Hello Joe,
Welcome to the world of ONAN.
Oh yes oh yes, the tube is ruptured and the good news is Onan told me they knew they had defective rubber on the tube but made no effort to correct the situation. They are happy to sell another tube exactly like the one that ruptured for about $170 but it has no guarantee. I read about one customer that paid $1,200 to get the tube replace and it lasted about 3 months before the new tube ruptured.
I have 2 onan shops nearby or somewhat nearby and they simply told me they didn't like to work on these little beasts but would do so for somewhere in the $100 an hour range. At the time my hose burst, I was having fuel pump issues and decided to kill 2 birds with the same stone.
I pulled the gen and was required to remove all the electrical leads, battery lead, fuel supply and return because each was too short to remain connected to the gen.
I sat it on blocks and began the disassembly process. I removed the top and all sides. After cleaning all the oil off everything, I removed the dip stick. I removed the rubber tube and began searching for a tube that would accept the oil. The tube I located with oil friendly but had a wire in the sides making it not easy to bend. Therefore I didn't try to bend it but left it straight and ran it out the front of the generator. It requires the dip stick measuring stick to be cut to compensate for shortening of the tube. Over a year ago and no leaks. Total cost in parts, less that $10 for the hose and clamp.

Also, these units have no oil gauge or water temp gauge, so I put in a couple of "T's" and added gauges.

Next, I went after the fuel pump. First it has to be located and is under the radiator requiring the rad to be removed. Onan wanted another $100 or so and I just bought a regular diesel fuel pump for about $29 then an inline filter. I removed both the fuel supply line and return line and rerouted them directly out the back of the box at the top. I added to the lines and ran them and the 12 volt power to a location at the end of the box. I can change the fuel filter and fuel pump in minutes if necessary without removal of the gen box.

After putting it back together, I noticed there was air being drawn in to the radiator from and around the muffler assembly. To correct that, I fabricated some buffers and covered them with insulation forcing all exhaust to to thru the radiator. I also placed a buffer over the bottom of the muffler compartment. Seems not to make as much noise and runs cooler.

I thought how simple it would have been for the factory to lengthen the lines in order to slide the unit out but didn't . I got the same size wire and lengthened all the cables to include battery, 120 Volt cables, fuel lines and such. Now if it ever is required to be removed, all that really requires disconnection is the exhaust pipe. Everything else can remain connected and just slice out with the gen box.

In looking at some of the info the mechanics sent me, I noticed one or more models has a 3 piece front cover that allows access to much of the unit without removing it completely. Seemed like a good plan, so I cut my front panel in 3 peices and now can remove 1 or all to obtain access.

By the way, I extended the exhaust to the front bumper which removed more of the noise.

Just one more note, talked to a friend that had a problem because one of the wires vibrated off 1 of the breakers, and of course you know, the gen had to be pulled. I just removed the breakers securing them on the outside and extending the wire to them. If a wire vibrates it of which I don't believe it will, I can easily access it.

I talked with the mechanics at Onan after making the modifications and they informed they informed me that if they were ever required to work on my unit, they would be required to remove all mods and return it to the way it left the factory.

I must say this ordeal was not that hard but it took time locating parts, fabricating parts and just time out to "CUSS".

Best of luck
Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16687
Take 2 Joe,
Got a friend at a local Kubota farm tractor dealer that told me many of the parts from the tractor fits the gen engine. You just have to give them the engine number instead of a tractor model.

Another thing to check. When I removed the water temp sensor to install the "T", it looked fine but upon inspection after removal, it was rusted and broken inside. I went to my tractor guy and he said that was no uncommon. If this had not been discovered, it might have caused water temp to increase too much.

Forgot, but I changed all belts and of course fluids and filters. I got Wix filters at a great savings to Onan filters.
Don