Skip to main content
Topic: Inverter Rack / Layout / Update (Read 724 times) previous topic - next topic

Inverter Rack / Layout / Update

Yahoo Message Number: 16691
Well I'd like to be farther along but somehow the battery cables didn't make it here this week.  I think I have layout figured out and have whole rack built and test fit in the trailer. I still need to pick up some 6/3 wire for the AC side of things today just so I have everything I need. We don't store the trailer at the house so I have to bring it home to work on it.  The next discovery mission on the trailer is going to be attempting to sort out how to take the shore power input cable that runs to the transfer switch 8GA and divert it to the generator compartment. The trailer is setup for 50amp AC loads, like the AC and Air compressors, etc. I don't see myself ever needing that type of load for what we do.

Getting the input power to the inverter is important so it can charge the batteries. Generator compartment already has the AC power out to the transfer switch.  My plan is to buy a 120v solenoid and run a new supply power line from the transfer switch that basically says if 120v is present is seen on the shore power input side, connect that and my run new run to the generator compartment. This should only power that circuit when voltage is seen on the one side.(Still need to work out all the details with Progressive Dynamics)

Attached are a couple progress pictures, I haven't made final mounts of the equipment to the backing board until I'm 100% sure the layout isn't going to change. The backing board is ½" HPDE plastic held on with 10  5/16 bolts threaded into ¼" thick aluminum.   I've always wanted to make something with the HPDE and figured this would be perfect since it's a good insulator and easy to work with.

Kendrick

Re: Inverter Rack / Layout / Update

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16692
Looks good. Little confused how you are hooking up generator to trailer.

Best
Ron Hall

Re: Inverter Rack / Layout / Update

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16693
Generator is mounted to the truck and will connect to the trailer via the shore power plug on the front. Anything on the trailer that is referencing Generator is really the Inverter. So in the end all I have is Shore Power and Inverter. Shore Power could be either  AC from real power poles or the generator.

KG