Skip to main content
Topic: 2007 C5500 TopKick rear diff gear howl (Read 1057 times) previous topic - next topic

2007 C5500 TopKick rear diff gear howl

Yahoo Message Number: 16745
We have a rear end howl starting at about 80km/hr under acceleration and cruising under power which goes away as soon as the throttle is backed off and coasting. Have a S130 rear diff with 4.78 gear ratio. Have replaced all U-Joints and steady bearings on driveline as well as the pinion bearing. Noise is slightly better but still there. Anyone have a similar noise or did have. Or any comments. We are trying to find gears to replace them but even Dana is having issues finding a set of gears. Help!!

Re: 2007 C5500 TopKick rear diff gear howl

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16746
You did not state what engine you have. Do you have a 6 speed
transmission. If you cannot find 4.78 gear ratio. Consider one of the
others gears like 4.56. I did a search and came up with a couple of
places that listed the 4.78 ratio. Over $1200 US.

--
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16747
Its a DuraMax with a 5 spd. Where did you find the gears and are they Dana/Spicers?
Thanks
Wayne

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16748
My rear axle was a 4:44 rear axle with a 5 speed. Did very well. Looks
like the only readily read ring and pinions are 4.88 and 4.30. Here is
one place I checked.

https://www.drivetrainamerica.com/differential/ring-pinions/application/dana-s130/
https://www.justdifferentials.com/searchresults.asp?Search=s130&Submit=

Here is a place that sells complete axles. Used and New. I do not know
enough to tell what will work and not.

https://www.heavytruckparts.net/search.php

--
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16751
This sounds a lot like the "issue"I chased with my 2007 Kodiak gasser. I chased it for nine yrs with not a lot of change. The truck place who did my mechanical stuff drove it and said it wasn't anything. It bothered me so I kept after them and they drove it several times, one guy told me it's no different than any other Kodiak, but since I didn't have a dump body or box-truck, I could hear it better. He said it was a giant sound box and I shouldn't worry. After three years, they opened the rear end to inspect it. The gears, bearings, and carriers all looked just fine. We changed to one of the oils from Lubrication Engineers (LE-607?) and it was a little better.

After almost ten years and 60,000 miles, it still whined.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16752
We had the whine. Reported it to Jayco and they eventually had MORryde look at it (MORryde did the chassis extension). They changed the U-joints. When we road tested it we said NO WAY. The Jayco tech took a drive with us and agreed. They set up an appointment with McCormick