Skip to main content
Topic: Norcold refridgerator (Read 881 times) previous topic - next topic

Norcold refridgerator

Yahoo Message Number: 16755
Hi
We have a 2007 Jayco Seneca with a Norcold refrigerator. It will work on electricity but not on propane. you can hear it clicking like it is trying light and then it stops and you get a F code on the panel. Also, it doesn't stay cold on electric. At night it stays at the right temperature but during the day when it is hot, it goes up over 50 degrees. Freezer goes from 0 to 20 degrees. the freezer cools faster than the refrigerator. Any ideas on what I can look for to fix this or if I need a new one is there any recommendations you can give us? Thanks for any and all help.
Michael

Re: Norcold refridgerator

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16760
1st check to be sure the gas valvebis on, small handle right at the valve. 2nd check burner tube for spider webs, propane will not go through.

Check thermistor (small wire on refrigerator fins) to be sure it is not at very bottom of fin. There should be directions on google, I can't remember where exactly it should be. Fridge usually takes 24 hrs to get cold, a lot longer than freezer.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16762
I have had that problem before. FIRST, Check for propane? Does the stove work? Do you have propane? Unplug the 120V and use tools to get to the small parts that put gas where the flame goes. Often times, small debris and/or spiders can get to these tiny spots and cause problems by not allowing the gas to flow correctly. The opening is so tiny that even a pin will not clean it. You can use air or remove it and soak it in some soapy water for a few minutes. Blow it and reinstall the parts and check for gas flow by lighting it. I have used welding tip cleaners and just blew into it also.

Jerry Fallin
Owner/Broker REALTOR, CNE, MCNE, (CLU, LUTC)
www. FallinProperties.com
713-455-7111 (Ham Radio K5Jer)

center
center
*SEMPER PARATUS* USCG = Always Ready
CEO Pinehurst Center LLC.
President of RivergroveTexas LLC
BACREN Board of Directors 2012-2013
Baytown Shrine Club - 2nd Vice Pres 2012~
Lifetime Member Arabia Shrine - Ambassador 2011-2012~
Lifetime Member Baytown Shrine Club - Sec/Treasurer 2009-2010~Lifetime Member
Rotary Club of Highlands Texas - Current - Paul Harris Fellow

**In order to help prevent identity theft and fraud, I will never request you to provide personal or financial information via unsecured e-mail. Please report any suspicious e-mails you receive claiming to be Jerry Fallin and/or FallinProperties. - Also, IF you ever get a link from me without stating why and/or what I am sending for you to open, DON'T open it! I will NEVER send just a link without stating what the link is, and/or why I am sending it, and/or why you should open the link, and SOMETHING to hint that it is really - Jer **

Radical Self Reliance is a concept that promotes strong self-awareness and being prepared in all the ways that are particular to you such that you are not relying on anyone else for anything. Discover, exercise and rely on your inner resources. Make yourself worthy, well qualified, duly and truly prepared to receive the blessing that you seek, since often the true definition of GOOD luck is where opportunity meets preparedness. JGF Jan 2015

Life is a Storm my friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment and be battered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and say "Do your worst for I will do mine and the fates will know you for the man you are." The Count of Monte Cristo

A true measure of character is reaction to conflict and/or overwhelming odds. Anyone can ride in the boat, but it takes a real captain to challenge the waves and bring the vessel to port during a storm. Do you ride the waves of life and merely accept the daily challenges or do you speak up and voice your opinion? Are you willing to challenge the norm? Are you a passenger in life or a captain? JFallin Feb, 2007

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16764
Had similar problems with my Notcold frig getting warm in the daytime, and would cool overnight; then do it again the next day. I ultimately swapped out for a Samsung RF18 residential frig and could not be happier. I have a truck conversion, not a Seneca, but here are a couple items to look into for the warming up problem on the Notcold:

1. Ensure there is good airflow for the air in from outside and up through the exhaust out the top.

2. Ensure your fans on back of the frig are working. Adding some extra will help as well.

3. If you can insulate the outside wall, it will help a little to prevent being so warm.

4. Install a small fan inside the frig to help circulate air inside the frig.

5. It is normal for the freezer to be cold first, then frig second.

Note that items 1-4 are all related to heat exchange. That is probably where your problems are root cause. You already have good ideas in previous replies for the propane not lighting. Even when lit the propane flame is very small like a pilot light.

I know you did not ask directly, but I had enough of the lack of cooling on mine, and by going to residential frig I also picked up from 12 cu ft to 18 cu ft. I'm not British and I like my beer cold. Also nice to have plenty of room inside frig and freezer to handle long trips. I sold my working Notcold frig to an off-the-grid cabin person for $450, helped offset some of the approx $1000 cost of the residential frig. I did my own conversion work which was more labor and not much materials. The inverter and extra batteries were additional expense and labor to install.