Skip to main content
Topic: Tow dolly (Read 1174 times) previous topic - next topic

Tow dolly

Yahoo Message Number: 16757
Does anyone have any experience with a tow dolly? Most I have looked, I would not feel comfortable putting a $50k car on and dragging down the highway. Any suggestions? Thanks

Best,
Steve Phillips

Re: Tow dolly

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16758
We used a Demco SS Kar Kaddy, it worked great,
not a hassle to hookup or get vehicle on.
Just be sure to try vehicle on it first, worked great with first vehicle second vehicle barely fit. Then got smart and got Jeep Wrangler to tow 4 down.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16759
Steve
We are using a Stehl to tow our 2017 traverse. Just got it this spring and have put a little over 700 miles on it. Only problem I have is getting the straps tight on hook up.
Go down the road ten miles and have to tighten
After that no problems for the next 260 miles. I am going to put the light kit in so the cars lights works with the motorhome. I did buy the one with electric brakes. Also was told by two other people to get a spare tire.
Darrell Liddell.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16761
We used the same Demco as Gary. To tow our Malibu Maxx about 50k miles. Then we got our Captiva Sport. Towed it 4 down for close to 40k miles. If you have a AWD it cannot be towed on a dolly. I would check one of the RV forums about Dinghy towing the vehicle you have.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16765
I used a tow dolly for a Nissan Altama and never had any issues. :)

Jerry Fallin
Owner/Broker REALTOR, CNE, MCNE, (CLU, LUTC)
www. FallinProperties.com
713-455-7111 (Ham Radio K5Jer)

center
center
*SEMPER PARATUS* USCG = Always Ready
CEO Pinehurst Center LLC.
President of RivergroveTexas LLC
BACREN Board of Directors 2012-2013
Baytown Shrine Club - 2nd Vice Pres 2012~
Lifetime Member Arabia Shrine - Ambassador 2011-2012~
Lifetime Member Baytown Shrine Club - Sec/Treasurer 2009-2010~Lifetime Member
Rotary Club of Highlands Texas - Current - Paul Harris Fellow

**In order to help prevent identity theft and fraud, I will never request you to provide personal or financial information via unsecured e-mail. Please report any suspicious e-mails you receive claiming to be Jerry Fallin and/or FallinProperties. - Also, IF you ever get a link from me without stating why and/or what I am sending for you to open, DON'T open it! I will NEVER send just a link without stating what the link is, and/or why I am sending it, and/or why you should open the link, and SOMETHING to hint that it is really - Jer **

Radical Self Reliance is a concept that promotes strong self-awareness and being prepared in all the ways that are particular to you such that you are not relying on anyone else for anything. Discover, exercise and rely on your inner resources. Make yourself worthy, well qualified, duly and truly prepared to receive the blessing that you seek, since often the true definition of GOOD luck is where opportunity meets preparedness. JGF Jan 2015

Life is a Storm my friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment and be battered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and say "Do your worst for I will do mine and the fates will know you for the man you are." The Count of Monte Cristo

A true measure of character is reaction to conflict and/or overwhelming odds. Anyone can ride in the boat, but it takes a real captain to challenge the waves and bring the vessel to port during a storm. Do you ride the waves of life and merely accept the daily challenges or do you speak up and voice your opinion? Are you willing to challenge the norm? Are you a passenger in life or a captain? JFallin Feb, 2007

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16766
We towed our VW Jetta all over the place using a Roadmaster dolly without any problems. However, I redid our toad right after I had to lay on my back during a driving rain to connect the safety chains underneath.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16767
I have used a dolly and 4 down towed my explorer in the last year. 4 down is easier if your car is capable. Bought the new blue ox brake and it's easy and works well.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16768
I use an American Car Dolly brand dolly to tow my wife's VW CC as well as my Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee from time to time. We just got back from a 3,000 mile trip from San Diego to Glacier National Park using the dolly with the CC on it. Towed great and had zero issues. Most of the time forgot it was even back there! The CC cannot be towed 4-down so the dolly is the only option other than a flatbed trailer (which is what my Jeep is usually towed on but the deck is too high to put the CC on)

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16770
Yes, I have a suggestion.
I understand your concern about dragging a 50K car down the road.
You might consider what myself and others do.
Go to Mecum Auctions and in the upper right corner is a tab for Auto Transport.
They will haul your vehicle in an enclosed van and haul it anywhere you want without you having any problems with dragging a tow dolly.
Not only does your vehicle arrive in good condition but your nerves arrive in good condition as well.