Skip to main content
Topic: help identifying wiring (Read 1114 times) previous topic - next topic

help identifying wiring

Yahoo Message Number: 16808
We replaced the fold out couch (and half the dinette) with a new couch
we got at Costco ($400). I've included pictures for anyone that's
interested in that. Behind the couch, we found a cluster of wires. Some
are clearly running up to the overhead cabinet for speakers and lights.
But there was this black and white wire, pretty thick, left capped. Can
anyone help me with figuring out what they are? I can't get 120 AC or 12
DC on them.

I want to write a new 120v outlet near the new couch (it has 2 120v
outlets and 2 USB charging ports built in!) and I'm trying to find a
120v source nearby that I can use.

Peter

Re: help identifying wiring [3 Attachments]

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16809
There was an option for a "power fold" sofa/couch so the larger wires were probably for the power source. Wiring harnesses usually included all optional wiring as well. Check your 12v fuse panel, there may be a blank space that was for that.

Re: help identifying wiring [3 Attachments]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16810
Pete, should have added, isn't there a 120 outlet under the dinette that you can tap into. Come across the wall with wire-mould.

Re: help identifying wiring

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16811
Check the writing on the actual wire. On my Thor 35B, most all the wires had small writing on them to say what they were for. It was a big help when I installed surround sound speakers, all the wiring was clearly labeled and already there leading to all the corners in the cabinets under the false floors .

Mike

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16812
Thanks for all that info. the power couch makes sense - so it would have been 12v.

The outlet looks under the dinette looks to have been added in by a previous owner. It's kind of jury rigged to the wall.

Peter

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16815

Our's had an outlet in a wood box under the dinette from the factory, about 6" above the floor. Wonder if previous owner removed the box? It was only about 3" deep.

On July 26, 2018, at 15:04, "Peter Young j.peter.young@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Thanks for all that info. the power couch makes sense - so it would have been 12v.

The outlet looks under the dinette looks to have been added in by a previous owner. It's kind of jury rigged to the wall.

Peter

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16816
That's it! Crappy wooden box surface mounted where it really hard to get to. If I turn off the breaker labeled inverter the outlet goes dead.

epter

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16817

Mine didn't look "crappy" 😁 , but yes hard to get to. I ran Wire Mold out of the top, up the wall and put an outlet at table level. I used an old work blue plastic elec box and replaced the RV outlet with a regular outlet.

On July 26, 2018, at 16:13, "Peter Young j.peter.young@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

That's it! Crappy wooden box surface mounted where it really hard to get to. If I turn off the breaker labeled inverter the outlet goes dead.

epter