Skip to main content
Topic: Having fuel filter problems (Read 1142 times) previous topic - next topic

Having fuel filter problems

Yahoo Message Number: 16829
Had C5500 duramax serviced and fuel filter changed. Drove home then sat week then started out on trip. Drove about 100 miles pulled into rest area shut off and that was it wouldn't start. Had to wait 3 hours for road service, said gasket was pinched at dealer when put on. Put new fuel filter on and took off and arrived at destination. Started and driving back stopped at rest area same thing happened !!!! Waited 2 hours this time said filter was loose. Changed and drove home. When I go fuel tomorrow sort of wary to turn it off !!
Is this just bad luck or something else going on ??

What ya think ?
Thanks
Gary Myers

Re: Having fuel filter problems

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16830
This would be one in a million if same issue but the nut on my starter wire had come off and this went on for several years. Out of the blue every once in a while it would not start. The wire was just dangling and at times would not be touching the bolt on the starter, the oddest thing. Sure not it but worth checking. Starter is underneath in middle at about the door

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16831
Have you tried to use the pump on filter assembly when engine would not
start. Some times old center seal will stay on filter head. This will
not let new filter seal properly.

Could be a cracked head assembly.

Or poor workmanship from those installing new filter.

--
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16832
If using a wix brand filter, They are now plastic. The oring needs to be lubed with grease or Vaseline not diesel fluid or light weight oil. After 4 filters and 2 primer kits on the filter housing talked to wix rep and problem was solved.
Darrell Liddell

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16834
I had an issue that mimic a bad fuel filter and it would throw a fuel filter code (1093). After changing a fuel filter 3 times in 200 miles. When I got home did some research and believed it to be a fuel pressure relief valve. Ordered the $9 blocker bolt replaced it haven't had a problem since.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16843
Best advise is not use a Wix fuel filter. There have been many problems with them over the years.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16844
I have a 2006 Topkick 5500, on my Gulf stream. Same symptoms. Result was 2 rubber hoses coming up from firewall into filter plate, had dry rot places in hoses, causing lost fuel prime. Lucky, I was in Springfield, MO. Fixed at Jenkins Medium Duty Diesel.

Bruce Roberts
bigb5306@...

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 16848
I have had less than stellar experience with the WIX filters as well. When we bought our 08 Four Winds last year, I noted to them that the fuel filter light was on in the center info center. They had the filter changed before we picked it up and the light was now off. I noticed that it was a NAPA brand filter which normally I am fine with however this was just a WIX filter with the NAPA sticker on it. First trip that we took which was about 800 miles round trip, the fuel filter light came on at about 500-600 miles. We never did have any starting issues but it still bothered me. We made it back home without any issues and I promptly replaced it with a genuine ACDelco filter, same as I always do with my truck. Primed it as normal and reset the filter light. That was just over a year ago and about 6,000 miles now. I have owned my 06 Duramax truck since new and have only ever used the genuine ACDelco oil and fuel filters and Allison external trans filters and have never had any issues and have just shy of 145k miles on that truck. I'm doing the same thing with the moho now that it is ours. I work on German cars for a living and learned years ago that it is generally a good idea to stick with the OEM filters, whether it is a part from the dealer or purchased aftermarket as the mfg part that supplies the OEM. ie; Hengst and Mann that supply for the Germans. Had to deal with way too many oil pressure issues that were caused by other brands of oil filters.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 16850
I finally gave up on the factory style filters after numerous problems. I purchased an adapter that allows the use of a Caterpillar filter. The Cat filter filters down to 2 microns ad opposed to the Delco filter which is good down to 4-6 microns. Bosch recommends filtration down to 3 microns or better to reduce injector wear. I lost the water in fuel indicator so I added a filter/water separator and a boost pump on the frame rail near the tank. No more problems in the last 20,000 miles.. Just my experience, for what it's worth!
D Houck