Skip to main content
Topic: Kodiak Cruise Control (Read 909 times) previous topic - next topic

Kodiak Cruise Control

Yahoo Message Number: 16833
I'm wondering if I have an issue, or if this is just the way things are with the 2005 Kodiak LLY cruise control. I have found that if I turn the key on and start up immediately the cruise control won't work. I have to pull off the road, turn the motor off, turn the key on, wait until the seatbelt light goes out, then start the motor. Cruise works only if I wait.

Last trip, even that didn't work on one leg of the trip. The cc wouldn't engage at all, and I tried turning it on/off, restarting the motor, etc. After I stopped for the night, next day the cc worked again. Any wisdom from the crowd?

Thanks in advance.
Jim B.

Re: Kodiak Cruise Control

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16835
So, cruise needs to see a signal from the brake pedal that the brake is not engaged (and signal from the throttle). If it works like a chevy gas truck, if that signal from the brake pedal isn't perfect, cruise is disabled. It may be not be the starting and stopping, but random jiggling of the break pedal that goes on while you're stopping and starting. The only I know how to figure it out is to hook it up to a scanner smart enough to look at the inputs the ECM is seeing.

Peter

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16836
Jim B.
There is some oddness. A couple of things I have noticed on my Diesel which is on a 2005 chassis. I have only noticed this problem after stopping. If you stop at a rest stop or to refuel for example, make sure you do your 5 minute cool down. If you have a problem with cruise control after restarting: Then get to speed, with exhaust break on, release accelerator or slow down enough to activate the exhaust break. Return to speed and set cruise control. Not sure what the connection is, but that has cleared it up for me.

I know this sounds strange but give it a try.

Best
Kevin (Real) McCoy [@KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006;
"Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16837
Thanks! I will add that to my bag of tricks. I am not at all surprised at weird key-accelerator-gear combos, like turn key on and press accelerator 5 times to clear oil change light. This fits nicely into the "wtf method" of diagnostics. ;-)

Keep those cards and letters coming, folks.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16839
I had the same problem and replaced the brake light switch... Problem solved! Those switches are problematic so I carry a spare. They are available on line for about $25. Suggest you get the Delco switch as the others are cheap crap from China. They are really easy to change out. Good luck!
Dave

On Monday, July 30, 2018 Peter Young j.peter.young SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

So, cruise needs to see a signal from the brake pedal that the brake is not engaged (and signal from the throttle). If it works like a chevy gas truck, if that signal from the brake pedal isn't perfect, cruise is disabled. It may be not be the starting and stopping, but random jiggling of the break pedal that goes on while you're stopping and starting. The only I know how to figure it out is to hook it up to a scanner smart enough to look at the inputs the ECM is seeing.

Peter

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16841
This makes sense. Sometimes my cruise control stops working but if I hit the break pedal and reset it, it works again.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16842
I was trying to remember the brake switch fix. Either adjust or replace.
It's been awhile since anything has been posted about brake switch and a brake controller. If your brake controller for a trailer is wired to brake switch. Brake switch will fail. Look up bulletin 66. For proper wiring for a trailer brake controller.

Best
Ron Hall