Skip to main content
Topic: Asking for a friend. His post below (Read 995 times) previous topic - next topic

Asking for a friend. His post below

Yahoo Message Number: 16861
2008 Jayco Seneca DuraMax diesel
Hello All, The check engine light has just come on my dash panel. I am in Wisconsin and have to get back to Florida. The manual says to have an authorized dealer check it out immediately. Has anyone had this warning light come on?

Re: Asking for a friend. His post below

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16862
When my 'check engine' light came on it was the EGR valve, part of the emissions system on the vehicle. Dealer re-programmed it and it went out. It came back on the next time out so the dealer replaced the valve. No problems since. Now have 110K miles on my '06 and running better than ever.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16863
Check engine light can be many things. Need to get a OBDII reader to
find out what the code is. Many Auto Parts Stores will read it for free.
Try Auto Zone, O'Rielly or other. Then look code up on DP.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/dtc.php

--
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16864
Any auto parts store should be able to pull the code for you for free.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16865
I did. I have the exact same rig. The code said it was (and I cannot remember exactly) due to a exhaust baffle sticking open. I was told it likely wouldn't hurt anything but I should have it replaced when I got home, which I did. The code went off a few hours later.

I went to a truck shop that did duramax. Had to call around a bit since Chev dealers won't do it on a large rig (but you may talk them into reading the code or at least get a referral.)

Ps. I was in Eugene OR on my way back to Seattle from a UW Husky game at Stanford (we lost). Luckily there were only Beaver fans at the truck shop and no Ducks! Only Friendly Folks!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16866
Hello Ron,
I was reading the postings and did not see any reference to any particular model of OBDII reader. Can you suggest a reader? Thanks,
Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16867
Stop in at any auto parts store... O'Reiley, Auto Zone, Advance, CarQuest, Pep Boys, etc. Most EVERY town has auto parts stores since many of us do our own stuff. Most everyone of them will happily read the code and let you know if it is major or minor. They can also re-set the code too. I get an Ox-Sen codes from time to time and the vehicle has been in the shop multiple times for it. I purchased a engine monitor that plugs into the OBD port and I just re-set it and keep going. Mine comes on est 700 miles, but came on every 100 miles in the mountains. It has not come back on for the last 1K miles now that I am back in Texas.
BTW - My 2014 Thor Super C Diesel can not go to the dealer (too big) nor local oil change places (large) and most truck stop places don't have my filters. I purchase the oil filter, air, fuel filters and carry them with me as I travel. When it is time for an oil change, I stop at truck stop oil change places and they change my oil using my filters. Don't forget to change the generator filters too. Jerry in Texas

Jerry Fallin
Owner/Broker REALTOR, CNE, MCNE, (CLU, LUTC)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16868
I used a ScanGauge II for my reader. Liked it because it gave the most info beside OBDII data. I also use DashCmd to read data with my iPhone. Need a WiFi OBDII adapter from amazon along with APP. If you have a Android phone you can use a Bluetooth adapter. Harbor Freight has fairy good OBDII readers also.

Best
Ron Hall