Skip to main content
Topic: ROOF SEALANT (Read 1008 times) previous topic - next topic

ROOF SEALANT

Yahoo Message Number: 16876
Figured I would start a new topic

I have a couple spots on the roof of my 06 Seneca that I need to replace the caulking on. For an example the seam on where the front cap meats the roof, there is already a small piece of eternabond type of tape that is not sticking very good.

I am looking to cover all the seams and screws with eternabond, do I need to remove the old caulking first or is there any other type of prep?

I also just ordered in a new dinette to replace the table and chairs from shop4seats.com

Re: ROOF SEALANT

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16877
All of the places where there was Dicor on my roof have been re-done with Eternabond. Eternabond says you can clean and go over what is already there but I removed all of the old Dicor. I originally purchased two rolls of Eternabond and all places where I used that have all stayed sealed. I purchased a third roll when I replaced my antenna and had some moderate adhesion issues with that roll. I contacted Eternabond and although they said they did not have any reports of adhesion issues with that lot, they did ultimately replace the roll and the replacement roll is fine. For the antenna, I did remove all of the questionable Eternabond before applying the new roll. For removal of the Dicor and Eternabond, I have scraped what I could with a plastic tool and used mineral spirits, lacquer thinner and brake clean to clean up the remaining along with a stiff parts brush. For our fiberglass roof, I found that lacquer thinner with a last cleaning of brake clean worked the best. Eternabond also makes a spray on primer if adhesion continues to be an issue.
Greg Thompson
6340 GS
MN

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16878
Eternabond sells a cleaner and a primer on Amazon. If I had eternabond that was peeling off. Thats what I would use to make sure new tape stays stuck. One word of caution. If someone used silicone caulking or spray on the area. You will need to remove the old caulk down to fresh surface.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16880
i didn't remove the calking, i just cleaned the area with acetone and went over the top. i have not have a problem in the 6 years since i did it.

Mark
2006 34SS
--

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16881
i take that back on my earlier reply's, i used lacquer thinner, my mistake.

mark
2006 34ss
--

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16959
After reading the above postings, I am somewhat at a standstill as to
my next move.

Previously, had a leak somewhere over the drivers seat. It would not leak all the time or get the bed above the drivers seat wet. The water would come out of the plastic that surrounds the overhead bed and drip in the drivers seat when driving away from a traffic light.

It also seemed that water was leaking out of the seal directly in front of the top of the windshield. I took it to a local dealer who removed the roof vent and placed in a fan that was to pressure the entire camper allowing them to use soapy water to locate leaks. They kept it for 3-4 weeks but apparently the job was not very successful.

On our last outing, the leak reappeared causing the headliner to become wet in about a 2 square foot region. We used a towel to soak up the water and noticed when we got home that the headliner under the drivers visor was loose from the backing. Originally thought the water might be coming on the top or around the marker lights then running down inside the nose but after removing the interior of the nose, could not find a single drop of water.

Guess that since the headliner material is loose, it will require the headliner and backing board to be removed and new headliner attached but need to find the leak which is hiding from me. Some one said to stay out of wet weather and there would be no leak.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks,
Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16960
Windshield was leaking on mine causing wet headliner above driver's seat

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16963
Mine leaked when it rained hard while driving. Also when I took it to a Truck Wash. It was the seal between cab and cab over. Used sealant around rubber seal between cab and cab over. Attached a piece of 3/8" plastic tubing to a 10 oz caulk tube. It still was not easy. But did stop the leak.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 16965
I had more or less the same problem with my 2008 Jayco Seneca 36 MS but on the passenger side. I tried local RV dealers fixes, no luck. I took it back to Jayco in Middlebury, In. and the determined it was the termination point between the front cap and the fiberglass roof. They removed all the roof sealant at that point and resealed it. The leak was gone.

Hope this may give you some direction to finding your leaking problem.

Larry

Fort Wayne, In

Happy Holidays to all!