Skip to main content
Topic: Pump issue when Winterizing (Read 991 times) previous topic - next topic

Pump issue when Winterizing

Yahoo Message Number: 16905
I know its Texas and supposed to be hot, but ...
Coming back to the hill country from Galveston island the weather guys were reporting 20 at night, so time to Winterize. Well the sun was setting and I was doing my normal passing through every faucet and low point drain and blowing out the water with about 30PSI.
Well, I guess I did too good a job, because when I went to suck in the antifreeze - nothing. Even cracking the low point drains for a second would not prime the pump. It was by that time dark, cold, raining, and a mean wind. I was in no mood to debug what was going on.
I put antifreeze in all the P traps, and opened up every faucet and low point drain, and hoped for the best. The temps turned out to be not that bad overnight.
Everything looked better in the morning. Or at least the sun was shining. Soooo - what I did was hook up a water hose to the inlet. Leave the switches on sanitize lines, and I turned on the water, and let it run for a second. Then I put the antifreeze bottle on a step stool, put the short filling hose on it, and it sucked right in!  Guess that did the trick. The night before there was no suction at all.
Blowing out the lines only saves about 1 gallon of RV antifreeze, so I am thinking I am going to skip the blowing out the pipes part of the procedure in the future - unless I don't have the requisite antifreeze. About 3 to 4 gallons for Roscoe Ventura.
Best
Kevin (Real) McCoy [@KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006;
"Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Re: Pump issue when Winterizing

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16906
Through my own experiences and through these conversations; I refer to my 6340 Gulfstream Endura as a "Challenger", just when you think you know what your doing.....................

Doug

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16907
Usually flipping the filter screen lets its pick-up right away even with no water in the system. That holds the check valve open which helps.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16908
I blow out the lines with less than 30 psi. Then let pump suck antifreeze from bottle and into all lines until I see pink come out faucets and low points. Then I hook up compressor again and blow out the lines. This save having to do it when it's time to de-winterize.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16910
When I do it, I just drain the hot water heater and the fresh water tank. Then put 8-9 gallons of the good rv antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Then turn each water source on until the color of the antifreeze coming out matches the antifreeze in the jug. I use a white styrofoam cup to see the color of the antifreeze coming out. Has worked fine for 11 years of