Skip to main content
Topic: Blinds VS Day Night Shades (Read 782 times) previous topic - next topic

Blinds VS Day Night Shades

Yahoo Message Number: 16946
Well, after Grandkids and a decade, some of our Day / Night window shades are a tad worse for wear. There is no joy quite like fixing pleated fabric Day/Night shades when they accordion the wrong way, you have to tension them, or restring them ; - )
At the same time the cost of replacements were inconsistent with my cheap frugal upbringing.  Ron probably could find a better outlet, but they seem a tad expensive from the places I looked. AND honestly, I am not "in love" with them.
So recently there are new blinds that are available that have no draw strings. These Draw String Free "cordless" blinds are very light weight and seem to work well. The ones with plastic are also opaque so they actually let in a good amount of light during the day, making them more like the "Day" shade. So if you need it way dark at night you might want to look at metal.  On the other hand the plastic seems to stand up to a bend or two, whereas Aluminum are hard to straighten out.  Plus it makes the RV seem like less of a cave when they are closed.
To make a long story short I picked up a Vinyl 31" shade at Home Depot for $6.29.
There is no way to effectively work on these things without taking the cornice down, and that did not take more than a moment:

Here is the cornice removed from the wall. The Vinyl Shade mounted quickly with two braces attached to the Cornice, and then the blind snaps in. Our plan is to travel with the Blinds in the up position.
The next step was to simply replace the Cornice on the back - Emergency Window:

So I am going to try this out on a Drive or two before moving on to a few of the more annoying blinds.
Thoughts or suggestions welcome.
Best
Kevin (Real) McCoy [@KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006;
"Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Re: Blinds VS Day Night Shades

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16948
I replaced 3 of the pleated type window shades with auto return shades.
Liked the idea of being able to give a slight pull on the shade and it
would auto retract. They only required one hand to pull down. There was
one louvered blind type window covering at kitchen window. We liked it a
lot. Except for when we were on the road and forgot to put it up. Lots
of banging around until it was retracted.

I think you will like the louvered blinds.

--
Best
Ron Hall

Re: Blinds VS Day Night Shades

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16949
I changed mine out to MCD shades. A little pricey, but a great improvement. Daytime shade allows for ventilation, but gives some privacy. Nightime shade is great, totally blocking out light.