Skip to main content
Topic: Evaluating Super C to Replace Class A Diesel Pusher (Read 1028 times) previous topic - next topic

Evaluating Super C to Replace Class A Diesel Pusher

Yahoo Message Number: 16971
I purchased a Class A diesel Fleetwood back in the 90's, used it for vacations and trips to the lake when the kids were young and at home, then not much other than as guest cottage for the last 20 years.

We are now considering doing some traveling, have looked at and demo'ed new Class A coaches and found they still do not handle worth beans. They got bigger, a whole lot thirstier for diesel, and certainly more expensive, but outside of the ultra-expensive and oversize Marathon, none ever solved the drifting around like a drunk monkey problem as one goes down the highway here in the West where road conditions are quite marginal at best.

That brought me to try a Super C. Those I tried drive and steer straight as an arrow with predictable handling and excellent braking like my International Prostar farm trucks, and are a snap to service with no more greasy guys traipsing around poking under the rear bed leaving tracks and grease slicks throughout.

I do not want a big coach anymore, so am looking at the under 35 foot models: The Nexus Ghost, the Renegade Verona, and the Dynamax DX3.

I tow a small SUV, and a trailer load of ATV's (not at the same time), so the units I am considering all seem to have plenty of resources for my needs.

Our use will be extended trips through Western Canada in the summer, and a two to three month trip throughout the Southwest US as far East as the mountains of central Texas each winter.

What I would really appreciate from this group is your criticisms, good and bad, of my current choices for an under 35 foot Super C.

If there is a really outstanding Super C coach builder in the under 35 foot range that I missed, I would appreciate knowing that too.

I have determined this purchase of a motorhome will be my last, so am being pretty prescriptive about quality of construction and materials, a real truck chassis, and ease of service in just about any city.

Thank you very much.

Randy

Re: Evaluating Super C to Replace Class A Diesel Pusher

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16972
I have a Dynamax 2018 DX3. Is a good unit on a good chassis. I previously had a Seneca on the Kodiak which was not the best chassis but decent unit. I personally think the Nexus on the international is not built the best. The Renegade I like better but they layouts are not the best and you are paying a premium for the Renegade. Think the DX3 is a good choice and look at the Forest River forums and you will find most people really like the product. Another big advantage is the Dynamax general manager is on the forums almost daily to answer many questions and offer help which has been great for several folks.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16973
The nexus, the new renegade Vera Cruz, and Thor super c are the only ones that are around 35ft. The rest are 38-39ft or more.

If you want a medium duty truck vs the semi truck chassis then Vera Cruz or Thor are your only options.

IMHO when I looked at the DX3 and renegade Verona and Valencia at the dealership. The renegades seemed more refined vs the dynamax seemed more utilitarian. Just my impression.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16974
Agreed the Renegade seems to be nicer but you are also paying $60,000+ more for the unit. Not true about the DX3 they also make a smaller unit and they also make a unit on a med duty dodge chassis

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16975
It's not on your list, but I have the Thor 33SW on the Ford F550 chassis...it measures 35 feet long with my tape measure. It drives like a dream, my wife has no issue driving it and she refused to pull our 21 foot toyhauler with the pickup. Yet she will tow the 24 foot enclosed trailer with the RV. It tows like a dream, my 24 foot enclosed car trailer stuffed with my toys and it has no problems with it. I had a huge buck jump out in front of me on the way to Oregon this year and the panic stop from 70 was beautiful...pretty impressive my RV and trailer were stopping better than the Honda Civic beside me!

Chuck

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16976
Chuck , would love to know what fuel economy you get with and without trailer at freeway speeds. Assuming it's a diesel??

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 16977
I also the 33SW 550 Ford Diesel, and I can confirm it is a dream driving. Mileage is better than my last Class A I get 10.5 average on the highway regardless what I tow. But stay away from the 2014 model, they had lots of problems with the slide.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 16978
Unloaded at 60 12.5 mpg...that only lasted one tank, towing my Jeep at 70 10.5 mpg, towing my 7500 pound trailer at 70 9.5 mpg. Yes it is the 6.7L powerstroke diesel, love the motor.

Chuck