Skip to main content
Topic: Slide-Out Awnings (Read 1555 times) previous topic - next topic

Slide-Out Awnings

Yahoo Message Number: 17079
Has anyone chosen to leave their slide out awnings off? I left mine off after it got hung up last year, and have not had a problem NOT having it on there. I'm considering leaving it off permanently and even taking my other one. I'll be removing weight, having better aerodynamics, and less to break later.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Slide-Out Awnings

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 17081
My only comment might be about debris that will (now) lay on top of the slide. Pine cones, acorns, limbs, leaves, etc. You will have to be diligent not to close up on "stuff" and not damage something.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 17082
did it keep the slide from going out at the top? I'm having that issue with mine, just haven't had the time to troubleshoot

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 17083
you may want to look at the stop lever which keeps the topper from unrolling while you are driving. ours came loose from the tube and prevented the top of the slide from extending. I removed the arm and slide operation returned to normal, reinstalled when we got home from trip.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 17084
No, the awning roller arms bent and the awning itself was getting caught up on the top of the slide out..... The same thing happened to the prior one, so I'm kinda done with awnings....

Other than possible snow or debris getting on there, I can't see any reason why I need them.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 17085
My 05 Jayco Seneca 35GS came without side toppers, didn't even have an option for them that year.

After about a year I noticed the trim board on the slide flexing when I opened them. Come to find out that when I'd sweep leaves and straw of the top of the slides, I wouldn't get it all and it built up enough along the trim boards to prevent the slide from opening fully.

I scraped away all the debris that had collected on the back side of the trim boards and installed slide toppers to prevent future collections.

Billy

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 17086
Ours where off for a year. Got a lot of dirt and leaves collected on top and in coach. Got them replaced for $600 ea. Makes coach look a lot nicer. People comment it looks new.
Darrell Liddell.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 17088
I purchase the A&E slide toppers for my MH with HD aluminum covers.
Seemed to help them to stay working properly. I replaced fabric and
installed myself with a couple of 10' step ladders.

I think Dave's slide is longer than my 6340 was. That may be the problem.

Best

Ron Hall

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 17090
I also have Tough Top replacement awnings. Happen to live near their Vancouver, WA location. They installed a new main awning fabric for me at no charge. Best quality material I've encountered. Top quality workmanship. You will not be sorry if you order from these guys.... Last awning you will ever have to buy..
Dave