Skip to main content
Topic: 2005 Kodiak suspension / Help (Read 2217 times) previous topic - next topic

2005 Kodiak suspension / Help

Yahoo Message Number: 17105
Hello I'm new to the group and looking for some advice;

I have found good information here on sway bars, shocks, steering stabilizers ect... but

Springs.. On our Four Winds 34R we have the 15,000 lb springs
Would I be better to go with the GM 19,000 lb springs ( Part number? ? ? ? ?) in need of a part #
or
Stay with original 15,000lb springs and go with Super springs (Part # SSA-17 4400 lb Helper)

Will one or the other help in shifting any weight forward to the front axle

Cat scale; Front ......................6440
Rear.......................15,380
Total.......................21,820

Thanks much Bill

Re: 2005 Kodiak suspension / Help

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 17106
I wish I had an answer for you, but could you provide your recommendations for sway bar/shocks/steering stabilizer? I have not been keeping up with the posts and am currently looking for these items.

Sorry to get slightly off topic here, feel free to reply directly if you will!

-Nate

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 17107
I'm going through somewhat of the same thing on my 2008 Four Winds 34H.

I have the 13000 lbs springs though and am still trying to decide what I wantto do.

So far I've added the front track bar and have the rear, but wasn't able to install it yet because the exhaust is in the way.

I also plan to install the Koni shocks and will determine what to do about the springs vs. additional rear sway bar after the rear track bar is installed.

The part numbers I used so far are:

Front track bar - Roadmaster RM- TRAC45-5500

Rear track bar - Super steer SS-401

Kyle

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 17108
I have the same rig as yours. I installed Firestone Airbags on mine to avoid having the heavier rear springs installed. Thought I would give it a try as it's a less expensive alternative. Had them on there for almost 4 years now. They worked out great. Run 95 psi in them. Installed a Supersteer stabilizer and hated it.. Took it off... Just my experience, for what it's worth...

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 17109
Forgot to mention... Rear track bar made a huge difference. Have front track bar and front sway bar installed too..

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 17110
Hi Nate,
Here is what I have decided upon;

Front sway bar.................Roadmaster PN# 1109-158
Rear sway bar..................Roadmaster PN# 1109-157

Front Trac bar..................Davis tru trac Roadmaster PN# TRAC C45-5500
Rear Trac bar.................. Ultra PN# UTF53V10R

Front shocks....................Koni PN# 8805-1023
Rear shocks.....................Koni PN# 99B-3174 (for use with 19,000lb springs)

New Rear Springs...........GM OEM# 10372725 / 19,000 lb (replaces original 15,000lb)

Steering stabilizer ...........RM PN# RBK5-RSSA

If needed;
Super Springs ................PN# SSA-17

Note;
We bought the Super C 4 years ago with only 6700 miles on it. Basically brand new, we took it on a few small trips around northern Minnesota, seemed fine to drive, we retired and headed to AZ, CA, NV, UT and thru CO and the Eisenhower tunnel, GOOD LORD I drove that thing every inch of the way, don't want to do that again.

Since that trip I have also added a Large Hayden Transmission cooler, and a new set of Michelin's :)

Thanks Bill

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 17111
I will be checking out the SS-401 the TRAC45-5500 looks like a real nice piece.

PS I know a guy that will have some 15,000lb springs, just sayin.....:)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 17112
I also have the Firestone air bags, ran mine for about 3 years they did help some on ours, but we don't have any other upgrades.
We have a Huge amount of body roll going out of driveways, its almost embarrassing.

Im looking forward to bolting on some improvements, not real keen on spending the additional dollars, especially for items that should have been there from the manufacture.

Thanks for your input, I think your right on with the trac and swaybars

Thanks again Bill

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 17113
I had both 19,000 put on and added super springs. Chevy put on the 19,000 and I had to go to 3 places to get the super springs put on. There is a tool but super spring recommended a place to go and it was not easy for them. Guy at CW broke his arm trying to put on.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 17114
I also installed Firestone air bags. With compressor and in cab controls. Made a big difference. Also installed front 2 1/2" front sway bar.
If wheel base is less than 50% of overall length. Going to be hard to fix all the handling problems.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 17115
Are you still in Minnesota? I'm in the Twin Cities. Maybe we can work something out on the springs.

You're also welcome to check out any of the track bars etc. If you'd like.

Kyle

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 17116
I installed Davis Tru Trac Bars on my 32b and loved them.

Dan

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 17117
For the rear, I cannot suggest one or the other. But I can say that I added the Super Springs, and it made a world of difference. I installed them by myself with the installation tool, was not too hard at all.
The first mod I did was installing the Koni shocks, which helped a lot. But the Super Springs made it so I was not as afraid to drive in heavy crosswinds anymore.
Good luck,
Bill

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 17118
I have a 2009 Weekend Warrior RWT3400 - how can I tell what springs I have on there? It's based off of a 2008 C5500 Kodiak chassis.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 17119
Take a look above your visor or along the door jam, there should be a sticker showing the vin # and the build codes. its not very big but full of letters & numbers

GXA = 13,500
GQO = 15,000
GN2 = 19,000