Skip to main content
Topic: Tow Capacity for horse trailer (Read 2308 times) previous topic - next topic

Tow Capacity for horse trailer

Yahoo Message Number: 17130
Howdy. We are looking at purchasing a 33DS Greyhawk. We want to tow a horse trailer which, with two horses, will be around 6000lbs. The brochure states an 8000lb hitch, so I'm assuming we're well within specs on this unit....

Re: Tow Capacity for horse trailer

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 17131
You will need to weigh Motorhome to see if the 7000 lbs hitch will be
able to pull trailer. Rear axle on that motorhome is probably rated for
13500 lbs. A 33' would be close to that weight limit. Tongue weight will
have a big effect on MH's handling. High tongue weight will take weight
off front axle. Making handling not so good.

Best

Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 17133
Check your GVWR and GCWR to make sure. If you are looking at the older Kodak chassis you are likely okay. But the newer Greyhawks on the Ford 450 can't handle much hitch weight without going over the GVWR.

As example, the hitch on my Seneca 34SS is also 8000#. My GVWR IS 22000# and GCWR is 26000#. My dry weight 18500# so CCC is 3500#. Let's say I pulled a 6000# trailer with 800# of hitch weight. Using GVWR that would leave me room for 2700# of gear in the rig (3500 minus 800)... but using GCWR I would only have 1500# (26000 minus 18500 minus 6000), which would be pretty close full of passengers, water, gear, etc.

The ratings are inside your drivers door or somewhere else. Mine is inside the cabinet door under the sink. Hope this helps.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 17134
Ps. I looked at a 2006 Greyhawk with the 8.1L gasser before I bought my Seneca. It has the same 26000 GCWR but was much lighter so it could tow more than my 34SS. I always figured that's why I saw so many on the road pulling car trailers at the races!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 17135

Use a Reese strait-line weight distribution hitch. Night and day handing and braking difference.

Tow Capacity for horse trailer

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 17137
I tow with my Chevy c5500 back and forth between Oregon and Arizona. Works great with Ezlift Equalizer hitch setup. No issues whatsoever. Actually tracks better with the trailer there than without it.
Don't know about the Ford chassis.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 17138
Absolutely We bought our Greyhawk with the 8.1 for that very reason. It could tow a loaded Chev Tahoe without exceeding the GCWR - and that would not be the case with the 22,000 GVWR diesel. I would have preferred the diesel but I was not going to run any risk of being overweight.

Phil, we then downsized to Itasca Impulse on an E450 (sold back to the dealer three years ago as we ceased RVing). GVWR was 14,500 lbs and GCWR was 22,000 and

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 17139
A lot of rigs say not to use a weight distribution system likely because of the force on the frame for such a long distance from the rear axle, but don't think it says that on the C5500. I hardly notice my trailer or tow car and since I'm well within the limits, didn't want to take any unnecessary risks.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 17140
I have a friend who bought a new Georgetown, nice rig! Has the same GVWR GCWR CCC as my Seneca but with the V10. He tows a big car trailer to drag strips... told him he'd have to dump all his water and get his wife to go on a diet to be legal!! But I agree, I see rigs at rest stops that can't be legal. But I've never heard of anyone getting cited for it.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 17141
The 26000 gcwr is constrained by the transmission park pawl, which is the same for gas and diesels. If you're smart enough to use the emergency brake when parking on a grade you'll be fine.....

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 17142
This is my rig, 2006 Gulf Stream Independence model 6316, Chevy Kodiak chassis C4500, Vortec 8.1L V8, 325HP.  We have zero problem pulling two horses, feed, and supplies in the trailer, even in the mountains of New Mexico. Can go speed limit on the flat if want to. It's a powerhouse! Since we moved, hubby wants to sell the RV only, now .

Denise Everett

Re: Tow Capacity for horse trailer [1 Attachment]

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 17143
Thanks for posting this  I had 06

Exactly well pretty much like this Traded it for a for a 40’DP to live in crashed that one blew a tire and got another DP… do miss this rig pulled a Jeep all over America..

Had a Class C was passed by a bicycle on I70 in Colorado got into a diesel never looked back… no position to swap now…just topped our DP off for hurricane.. would love to go back out to NM..