Skip to main content
Topic: Oil Change Before Winter Storage (Read 2392 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil Change Before Winter Storage

Yahoo Message Number: 17144
Thoughts on changing the oil/servicing an 07 Endura Duramax. Before storage or after. Does
It make a difference?

Re: Oil Change Before Winter Storage

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 17145
I always changed oil for winter storage.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 17146
Yeah, I have always changed the oil and greased all the zerks and generally did an all over service before storage. Makes it easier come spring time and taking it out of storage.

Mark
2006 Senica HD 34SS

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 17147
If you're going to pick one or the other, and it's not going to get started at all during the winter, change it after. Otherwise, next spring you'll be driving around on oil that's been collecting moisture all winter. But if you can, I would start it at least once a month and let it warm up fully to keep the internal part surfaces covered

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 17148
Agree, and that goes for the Genset too.

If you're going to pick one or the other, and it's not going to get started at all during the winter, change it after. Otherwise, next spring you'll be driving around on oil that's been collecting moisture all winter. But if you can, I would start it at least once a month and let it warm up fully to keep the internal part surfaces covered

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 17150
In around 40 miles, all the moisture will be evaporated out of the oil, and I always store mine with the fuel tank full to the brim and I put an additive in to combat moisture. Living in the Seattle area we see lots of moisture and I have yet to have the moisture in fuel sensor light up.

Mark
2006 Senica HD 34SS

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 17151
But the thing is, what good is it going to do to have fresh oil sit

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 17152
There is one argument for changing the oild before storage, and that is that the oil will be thicker and will cling to the components better over the winter. But I bet my lube engineer co-worker would say it would be hard, if not impossible to measure that difference. You'd probably be best off to pull the fuel pump fuse at start up

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 17155
Yes, you should change your oil before winter. Organic acids are formed during the combustion process and some of those organic acids collect