Skip to main content
Topic: Seneca Battery Upgrade (Read 558 times) previous topic - next topic

Seneca Battery Upgrade

Yahoo Message Number: 1359
I sleep using a CPAP at night. During winter months, using the furnace, my batteries would drop low enough that the inverter voltage would drop low enough that my CPAP would quit working.
To solve the problem, I removed the two 12V marine batteries that came standard in the motorhome and replaced them with four 6V golf cart batteries. I have had no problem using the inverter to power the CPAP, furnace, TV, lights, etc... for a few days of dry camping, without having to crank up the generator.
Two of the 6V batteries fit right into the original battery tray with no problem. For the two additional batteries, I used a piece of plywood to divide the compartment next to the battery compartment into two separate (sealed) compartments. I used silicone and expanding foam to seal the top, bottom and back of the plywood and a rubber strip tow separate the two compartments, when the door is closed. I drilled two 2" holes in the new battery compartment for ventilation and routing the wires.
I added an auto fill system to the batteries so that they could be filled without using a mirror and syringe. I also built a voltage meter to mount in the battery compartment to make monitoring the batteries easier.
In the future I plan to upgrade the inverter, from the OEM 400W, to a 2000W inverter so that we can run some of the small appliances (microwave, coffee pot) without having to crank up the generator.
Here is a link to the pictures in my gallery of the battery set-up. - BillyP photo gallery