Skip to main content
Topic: automatic steps on kodiak Four winds funmover (Read 1534 times) previous topic - next topic

automatic steps on kodiak Four winds funmover

Yahoo Message Number: 1375
Today I went to check on the RV, opened the side door and the
automatic steps came out (wonderful) Closed and locked door Steps
stayed out ( not so wonderful) switch is off , even started the engine
which automatically should bring in steps no luck. Didn't have long
to play with it as getting ready to pour down. Any ideas on where to
start checking ?? Is it on breaker or fuse ??

thanks for the help ??!!!!

Re: automatic steps on kodiak Four winds funmover

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1376
Gary,

The fuse box in our Chateau 35B is located at the foot of the rear bed next to the breaker box. I found this out the hard way this weekend when we blew a fuse in the bathroom light.

I just got back from taking our unit to storage or I'd look it up for you. If I remember correctly, most of the fuses were 15 amp.

Good luck!

John

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gary
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 6:14 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] automatic steps on kodiak Four winds funmover

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1377

I have the opposite problem on my Dutchmen... the steps keep coming in. they worked fine until I got the coach back from Four Winds after their "warranty" repairs... I can't find a fuse... the fuse block in the bedroom shows a fuse for the steps, but there is no fuse in the slot and putting one in did not make a difference.

Denny

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 1378

If your bathroom light fuse is blowing, it could be from moisture coming from the skylight... I discovered rust coming from my fixture because of the ceilng leak... even tho Four Winds replaced the light fixture because of moisture from the ceiling, they refused to replace the ceiling panels because they said there was no moisture... go figure.

Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 1379
If you have Kwikee steps. Here is a link to their documentation. I had
problems with mine right after I bought it. Their manual walked me to
the problem in no time.
http://www.kwikee.com/Adocuments.html

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 1380
Denny,

One of the bulbs in the light over the sink was out (or so I thought) when I twisted it, it relit for a second and then blew the fuse. After searching for the fuse panel and a replacement fuse was found, we were back in business.

I hope that I do not have to deal with the moisture problems, but am too afraid to start looking for them for fear of what I'll find.

Hope you had an enjoyable holiday!

John

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dmyhre943@...
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] automatic steps on kodiak Four winds funmover

If your bathroom light fuse is blowing, it could be from moisture coming from the skylight... I discovered rust coming from my fixture because of the ceilng leak... even tho Four Winds replaced the light fixture because of moisture from the ceiling, they refused to replace the ceiling panels because they said there was no moisture... go figure.

Denny

center

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 1381
Denny,

One of the bulbs in the light over the sink was out (or so I thought) when I twisted it, it relit for a second and then blew the fuse. After searching for the fuse panel and a replacement fuse was found, we were back in business.

I hope that I do not have to deal with the moisture problems, but am too afraid to start looking for them for fear of what I'll find.

Hope you had an enjoyable holiday!

John

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dmyhre943@...
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] automatic steps on kodiak Four winds funmover

Denny

center

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 1383
thanks for the idea of where to start

- In KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com, "John Robert Krzos"
wrote:
Gary,

The fuse box in our Chateau 35B is located at the foot of the rear
bed next

to the breaker box. I found this out the hard way this weekend when
we blew

a fuse in the bathroom light.

I just got back from taking our unit to storage or I'd look it up
for you.

If I remember correctly, most of the fuses were 15 amp.

Good luck!

John

[mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gary
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 6:14 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] automatic steps on kodiak Four winds
funmover

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 1385
Gary ~
You might check the small magnetic sensor switch located at the base of the door frame. If this is loose or become misaligned, it won't make contact when the door closes and complete the circuit that retracts the steps Try closing the door hard to see if the extra force places the sensor within range of the magnetic switch..
The fact that the steps extended would seem to preclude the fuse or breaker problem since the steps had power to extend. ( unless the circuit blew at the moment of extension.)
Good luck.

Craig

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Gary
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 4:14 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] automatic steps on kodiak Four winds funmover

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 1387
thanks for the idea hadn't thought of that !!!!!!!! Still raining so not in a hurry
to get wet !!!!

Craig Davis wrote:

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 1388
thaks also, just using magnet makes alot of sense !!!! Dumb me !!
thanks If it ever quits raining I'll check it out

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 1391
Tried the magnet with no luck, checked all fuses and reset breakers still nothing.
Looked underneath and no switch or like on step gear but light for step is on !!!
So might be step motor ??!!??

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 1392
How close should the magnetic sensors be to eachother ??? Tried magnet against it but no luck

Craig Davis wrote:

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 1393

FWIW, my steps are now in the "in" position and won't extend...I'm working claims in Omaha and don't have time to fix the problem....last night the 12 volt lights dimmed and the A/C units in the coach groaned and quit working for about an hour.

I refilled the coach batteries with distilled water and later the lights came back on, but the steps quit working completely.

I have no idea what is happening, but I noticed the converter under the bed had also quit working, and later when it started back up, everything started working again. I just am not clear what the converter has to do with the roof A/C units.

Denny

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 1394
The control boards in the ac's are 12v.

I'd check all of the fuses in the 12v panel and the breaker for the
converter.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 1395

Thanks, I checked the fuses and breakers at the foot of the bed and they are all ok...when I lifted the bed to get under it to check the fuses on the converter, there was a very faint odor of burnt wiring, but the fuses are ok on the converter, and the inverter light was also green... there are three other fuses in the area that all appear to be ok as well. It is a maze of wiring under the bed... I just don't understand how Four Winds can get by with building such trash...thanks for your help,

Denny

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 1396
Denny, with regard to "I just am not clear what the converter has to do with the roof A/C units", it seems to me that I read somewhere that the thermostats on some units require 12V DC. To test this, turn off your 12 volt house battery disconnect and see if the temperature is displayed on the thermostat's LCD display. If it's not showing, you have your answer. J

Craig

Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2008 7:40 PM

FWIW, my steps are now in the "in" position and won't extend...I'm working claims in Omaha and don't have time to fix the problem....last night the 12 volt lights dimmed and the A/C units in the coach groaned and quit working for about an hour.

I refilled the coach batteries with distilled water and later the lights came back on, but the steps quit working completely.

I have no idea what is happening, but I noticed the converter under the bed had also quit working, and later when it started back up, everything started working again. I just am not clear what the converter has to do with the roof A/C units.

Denny

In a message dated 7/13/2008 1:43:24 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, glm@... writes:

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 1397
Denny

I had a fun mover and behind the converter there are two fuses that had blown. Check those fuses.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 22:40:04 EDT
To:

Denny

In a message dated 7/13/2008 1:43:24 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, glm@... writes:

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 1400

Thanks... checked them, and all is ok.... everything is working now except the steps...Denny

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 1401
Check your chassis fuses - I think the power for the steps might come
from the engine batteries.