Skip to main content
Topic: Water leaks (Read 4154 times) previous topic - next topic

Water leaks

Yahoo Message Number: 8044
Ever since we have had this vehicle we have had water leaks. First one was under the kitchen sink, so was easy to fix. Then a leak in the bathroom somewhere. water was leaking out from under the wall between the shower and the pantry. "Repaired" by our dealer in Ontario. Leak persisted, so back into the shop and "repaired" again. Then a leak whenever the black tank was flushed. "Repaired" again (new valve fitted to the flush system). We are now in Southern California and there is still a leak! Why didn't Jayco install an access into the area where all the pipes are. It is a terrible job getting to that area. We have removed the bottom of the pantry to try and gain access to the pipes behind the shower, but cannot see where the leak is coming from. DH can feel water dripping down, but cannot determine where it is coming from. Is it a difficult job to remove and replace the shower?

PS. while we were looking in the the area under the pantry, we saw a heating hose not attached to the duct, huge holes under there open to the outside (sun shining through). What shoddy workmanship! Very disappointed. No wonder we are always very dusty inside.

Re: Water leaks

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8046
On my MH it would not be a problem pulling the vinyl walls down. I may then have install new panels. Do the Seneca's have fiberglass wall? May not be as easy to replace. I also have a access panel that covers the shower hot/cold controls. This allows me to tighten the fittings in this area. Do you have a hidden panel that covers the controls?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8047
Check the ice maker connections as well. Also you should be able to remove the shower faucet from inside the shower (four screws) to check the connections on back of the valves. Or does you your unit have the access panel in the pantry itself?

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8048
Which walls are you talking about? We are fiberglass on the outside. Certainly no hidden panels, or if there are, they are very well hidden!! Dealership had pulled an interior wall out to check behind it.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8049
i think it would always be a good idea to post your make and model in this type of post so we know whats where.

think it through in reverse.

shower was installed first,

fixtures next,

then the supply lines were hooked up.

don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8050
Ever since we have had this vehicle we have had water leaks. First one was under the kitchen sink, so was easy to fix. Then a leak in the bathroom somewhere. water was leaking out from under the wall between the shower and the pantry. "Repaired" by our dealer in Ontario. Leak persisted, so back into the shop and "repaired" again. Then a leak whenever the black tank was flushed. "Repaired" again (new valve fitted to the flush system). We are now in Southern California and there is still a leak! Why didn't Jayco install an access into the area where all the pipes are. It is a terrible job getting to that area. We have removed the bottom of the pantry to try and gain access to the pipes behind the shower, but cannot see where the leak is coming from. DH can feel water dripping down, but cannot determine where it is coming from. Is it a difficult job to remove and replace the shower?

PS. while we were looking in the the area under the pantry, we saw a heating hose not attached to the duct, huge holes under there open to the outside (sun shining through). What shoddy workmanship! Very disappointed. No wonder we are always very dusty inside.

In the pantry there is an access panel to the shower valves. Pull out the drawers and you should see an accesses panel. May shower valve connections were a bit loose and this caused the leak from behind the shower. i could also see the water dripping down and once the connections were tightened there was no more drips or leaks.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8052
Opened the access panel and the pipes/valves behind the shower faucets are dry.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8053
Are you using a pressure regulator at the outside spigot?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8054
Yes, we are using a regulator and the water is down to a trickle coming in.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8055
Have you looked at the ice maker connections in the outside compartment for the fridge. I had a leak there.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8056
Yes. That all seems fine. Thinking it may be the drain from the shower. Going to try and access that and reseal and tighten if we can.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8057
Dee, out of curiousity, who is your dealer in Ontario? Or, did I ask that a before and it is Owasca in Whitby?

We had a similar problem with a bit of water near the fridge of our 32SS and we thought it was from the shower that was on the other side of the wall. We used Jayco's service centre and never went near our dealer (Sicard) who we'd also purchased our previous two DPs from since once we moved to the WIndsor area and Sicard was the same distance to travel as to Jayco. Jayco looked but couldn't find any source for the water. On a later visit we had Jayco seal the shower stall at the top and it may well be some of the water had came through that opening. Never occurred again - at least that we noticed.

As to what you can't see, Jayco sure needs improvement in quality construction. We had loads of openings under the closet (for water and power lines) but Tammy Baker (service rep at Jayco at the time, said they don't seal them - I had a terrible problem as I think of her as Tammy Faye Baker). That was really annoying because the generator is right there and fumes could easily get through those opening. By our next visit Tammy Baker had been fired and the service manager Randy Zonker had the holes plugged and several other items fixed that she ignored. We really enjoyed dealing with Randy as he got things done and quickly (what they'd do in a half day our Sicard would need days and we'd have to leave the MH with them - our Winnie DP was at Sicard for 2 months on one occasion and our HR DP 3 months). When our fridge door fell off on a Saturday afternoon at the rally in 2010 Dave Sparke used gorilla tape for temporary fix and Randy had a replacement door installed Monday afternoon (Monday morning McCormick Chev in Nappanee did the annual maintenance).

What amazed us with our current Itasca Impulse is that we went through the first year with no need to have anything repaired. Given our experience with our three previous new MHs that was a pleasure. So far so good. We just bought a 40 ft Forest River trailer for the lot next to our park model in FLA and my hope is that Forest River has a clue - but I've seen a few signs that make me wonder.

Don

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8058
We had a leak from the shower enclosure that was dripping out underneath the unit. You may want to check all the seams/joints around the enclosure. When I first had ours I also thought it was the drain but it turned out to be the enclosure needed to be resealed using bath/kitchen silicone (I used clear). The water runs down one of the holes in the floor where the wiring comes up.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 8059
I had a Watts but it was not the right one. I'd just asked Ron for the details on the one he recommended at the rally. Our participants cleaned out Menard's before we got there. Ron posted my email from 2010 to the files section today. You will find all the components there that will give you good volume without too much pressure.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/files/General Info/

I can't find the components here in FLA at either Lowes or Home Depot so I've sent a note to Watts FLA rep asking how I can get them.

Don

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 8060
Owasco. The last time we took it the technician tore the vanity out to find the leak, then he forgot to tighten the drain, replaced the bottom of the pantry backwards so that the shelf had a gap in the front, and he drove the RV into the curb, tearing off the front tire pressure monitor. He was in such a hurry to go home, that as we were still getting the front tire valve stem fixed and inflated, he zoomed past us with a cheery wave!

We are definitely going to the Jayco factory on our way home in April.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 8063
Our solution to this problem for now is to tilt the RV slightly to the driver's side so that the water will flow away from the pantry and divider wall area. This just until we hear back from Jayco (I emailed them) or we can find where it is coming from or we can get to Jayco in April.

Re: Water leaks - Followup from Jayco

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 8067
There is an access to the plumbing under the shower. The access is located in the driver side wheel well area. You'll need to jack up the rear and remove the rear duals. From there, the wheel well cover can be removed. Then you can access the shower plumbing from there.

So anyone wanna come to Escondido RV Resort (or Palm Springs Oasis Resort for the next week) with a hunking big jack and some tools and help us? Haha

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 8068
On my 2007 Seneca 34SS, I could access this area without removing the duals. The fender skirts folded up just like the cargo doors. I had to remove about four 7/16th inch machine screws and nuts and the fender released and folded up. I had to hold them in place with a short stick.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 8072
DH has lifted the fender skirt and found a metal box/cover as well as the wheel well cover. Is it a big deal to get these off? Lots of screws visible.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 8073
All of the screws on my 34SS were phillips head sheet metal/self tapping(?) screws. The phillips heads had quite a bit of road dirt in them. After I cleaned the road dirt out of the screw heads with a pointed tool they came out rather easily with an electric screw driver/drill. I suspect it will depend on how corroded your screws are. Also, only one or two of mine went into the steel floor frame. There were five on the (horizontal) top near the exterior wall of the MH. I think they go into wood. They came out easily. There were about five on the vertical section on inside wall of the wheel well, parallel with the tires. They went into an aluminium angle iron and also came out easily. Most of the screws were in the front and rear of the wheel well. I think that most only held on the mud flaps. It seems like only one or two went into the MH frame. Which was of course directly related to the fact that on mine, the sheet metal pan did not fit in the frame which left the large hole where the fumes came in on the passenger's side. When I removed all these screws holding the mud flaps there wasn't much holding the pans in place. When I dropped the pan on the driver's side, I could see the ABS drain pipe and P trap from the shower and some heat ducting. I didn't look at it closely but the drain pipe appeared convoluted but eventually went into the gray water tank.

I hope this helps. Let me how it goes.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 8075
We will certainly let you know how it goes. Presently we are up in the Palm Springs area, but going back to Escondido RV resort on Thursday. DH says he will do it there as we are quite close to several RV repair shops and Camping World if we have a problem. The Seneca is booked into CW on the 15th if he is unable to do the fix.

Re: Water leaks - Followup

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 8084
DH got the fender off and the covers around the wheel well, under the shower. He was only able to see the trap from the shower which was dripping with water. The joint where the trap meets another pipe was loose, so he tightened all that up and dried everything. He then took a shower and guess what! There is still a leak! It seems the only way to get to the pipes serving the shower, is to rip the wall or the shower out. How idiotic that Jayco did not put an access panel other than the little one inside the pantry. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 8085
If it was coming from the water pipes to the shower it would be leaking all the time when the water was on since valves are at the end of the pipe. Have you re-caulked the shower enclosure?

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 8086
DH got the fender off and the covers around the wheel well, under the shower. He was only able to see the trap from the shower which was dripping with water. The joint where the trap meets another pipe was loose, so he tightened all that up and dried everything. He then took a shower and guess what! There is still a leak! It seems the only way to get to the pipes serving the shower, is to rip the wall or the shower out. How idiotic that Jayco did not put an access panel other than the little one inside the pantry. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I remember someone mentioning that their shower leak was coming from the top of shower panels where it had pulled away from wall. If it is not to wide. Caulk it like Dave suggested.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 8087
Sorry your having issues, however our Gulfstream has no access @ all for the drain pipes (unless maybe you removed the holding tank), our leak was from the hoses connected to the shower valve and the plastic "T" in the valve was also cracked causing water to run down the wall behind the shower to the floor. I had to remove all three glass pieces and the shower walls to get enough room to re-tighten the hose fittings and replace the valve). Our shower pan also leaked at the drain as there was a tweeked gasket that came out of the seat from the factory. I shoved in a tappered plastic pipe from a shop vac extension tube pre-cut to lenght and jambed it in with polyurethane caulking, then caulked all arround and caulked in the grate. Seems to be working now but I will never buy another Gulfstream again aside from this issue other issues appeared that Mickey Mouse is head of Quality controll and design.

Bob Schlieder

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 8088
Bob, my experience leads me to believe that Larry, Curly and Moe do the staff training and quality control at all of the RV manufacturers.

Having said that, it almost seems like you are playing Russian Roulette when you buy an RV. Our first Winnie product was a 39 ft+ Journey that had a ton of faults - every time we went out we added more items to the list. Our Itasca C Class by Winnie, that we got a year ago has so far required nothing (when we picked it up the first time it got full water pressure a T in the water line let go - one side was capped and it was used for a 90 degree and it came off - and the dealer fixed it quickly. Nothing at all since then. I've been wondering if I've been lucky or if Winnie has improved.

Our Kodiak had its share of problems - much of it just outright sloppy workmanship by Jayco. We are now going through teething issues with a new 40 ft destination trailer from Forest River that is parked on our lot next to our park model in FLA. At times I wonder how they could be so sloppy and stupid. Lots of nice features but you'd swear Larry, Curly and Moe were involved again. For example, the toilet paper holder came in a box with the manuals. Well, we have two full baths. BUT, there is no place to put it in either bathroom!!! Cable TV would not work when connected to the cable input. Works fine when connected to the satellite input. BUT, it only delivers cable to the TV in the lounge - none to front or back bedroom - they only get a signal from the roof top antenna. So, I ran the line from the satellite through a splitter with one side going to the set in the lounge and the other into the coax connector for the rooftop antenna. That got cable to all three rooms. Just makes no sense. One almost wants to write Warren Buffet a letter suggesting he try some of their products. :)

Don

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 8089
You may want to take that shower drain apart and get some plumbers putty and put a small bead of it on the underside of the inside part of the drain. Thats the piece that if you are in the shower looking down at the drain that is what you see. Undo it from the under side go into the shower lift the drain piece out turn it over and apply the putty to the flat part that will make contact with the shower floor when reinstalled (there is probably a rubber gasket there right now) . You may also want to make sure the rubber gasket that goes on the underside is clean and in good shape before putting it together. If not apply a bead of plumbers putty there also.
It is very likely that it is just a drain problem . If it were a supply line leak it would be there all the time as the valves are inside the shower and there should be pressure on the lines at all times
hope this helps
brad

Reply #27
Yahoo Message Number: 8090
We have had only one RV, our recently acquired 2007 Seneca 34SS. And, we have only had it a short while. From what I have read, I feel lucky that things are not worse. In purchasing a used vehicle like this, I always anticipate problems. So I wasn't too surprised when I started finding issues on this Jayco. Most have been relatively easy issues. The heat ducting fell apart on one run. It was readily fixed with metal duct tape instead of the fabric stuff Jayco used. I was surprised that much of the finish wood trim was loose. A brad-nailer fixed that and the air compressor doubles to blow out and winterize the pressurized plumbing. Many screws were loose including the bolts that held the stairs in place and the screws for locks on the cargo doors. The stairs started to malfunction, but tightening the bolts and Red Locktite took care of them. Red Locktite also took care of the cargo doors. The house battery compartment was a disgrace. All those electrical wires and connections were exposed to road dust and worse, moisture when it rained. On mine the electrical connections were corroded. The paint on the metal had already started to peel and rust underneath. I enclosed it leaving just enough open area for ventilation. Then I cleaned all the electrical and hydraulic components. Now it stays clean. The steel frame under the cargo doors has started to rust. I am cleaning, coating with rust stopper, and undercoating it to stop the damage. Next will come the genset. It has to be protected from the road dirt and moisture. I can't believe Jayco left such an expensive and excellent piece of equipment exposed to road salt and moisture. Ultimately I will have the entire undercarrage undercoated. Before that is done I will make sure all the electrical looms are in place and tied down. Jaycon left them hanging. As I mentioned earlier, some have been pinched to the point that the wires were showing. In some respects I just look at these problems as a challenge and an opportunity to buy a new tool to fix the problem. From what I read the Duramax is a great powerplant and the Allison transmission is bullet proof. And, Chevrolet makes a great truck. Plus servicing is reasonable compared to a diesel pusher, for example. In short, the foundations for a great unit are there.

I am fully sympathetic with Dee, however, when you work and work and work and work on a problem and never get it fixed. That is really frustrating. I too would point the finger directly at Jayco. It seems they purchase mostly good quality components and then slap them together haphazardly. I only hope they haven't screwed our unit up to the point I cannot make it right. For the moment I believe things are under control.

Dee, what about trying to locate the general area where the water is coming from? Perhaps you could check in the wheel well with a flashlight while someone is using the shower. How about not running the shower head and filling the shower pan with water? That might tell you if the leak is in the shower pan or the pressurized plumbing. If the the leaks appear with water only in the shower pan, it would seem that the leak is between the pan and where ever you can see the pipe is dry. If you found one loose connnection downstream from the shower pan, I'll bet they didn't tight the others. But, from what I remember of driver's side wheel well of my truck, getting to the bottom of the shower pan from outside looked impossible. Also, what about using food coloring to locate leaks if you can't see the water? I am betting on a loose connection near the shower pan. Getting there looks like a challenge.

My view is that no matter how difficult it is, if you can find the problem and fix it, you know it has been done right. Unless you know the service technician well, I am afraid you just get a big bill and a patch job. Then they will just tell you you need to buy a new unit.

I wonder if Jayco management reads these posts. Someone should send them to management. "Made In The USA" used to mean something good. If it doesn't start meaning that again soon, we all will be in trouble.

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 8091
In the shower stall repair I did this summer - I discovered that the gap with the wall was very large on one side. The water was condensing on the sides, and that could cause other problems. There was also a narrow gap against one wall (a few inches) and there was some work to do in there.

Along one close wall - the gap was too large just to caulk. I used gap foam, carefully to make sure it would not put pressure on the stall wall. Once the gap was bridged I used a knife to cut back the foam to the edge and then caulked.

Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #29
Yahoo Message Number: 8092
I was the one with the opening at the top of the stall the Jayco was kind enough to fill. That may well have been the source of our water - but I'll never really know as it never happened again.

Don

Reply #30
Yahoo Message Number: 8093
We thought of using food coloring and pouring it down the drain.

What we can't understand is that the water is running on the vinyl floor above the underside of the shower drain. The subfloor that the vinyl has been adhered to, shows signs of water damage. This is all so irritating and frustrating.

Reply #31
Yahoo Message Number: 8094
Dee,

If you can get to it to tighten the drain, you should be able to remove the drain piece from the pan. Some of them will unscrew from the top. Can you send us a picture of it?

Dan

Reply #32
Yahoo Message Number: 8095
That reinforces my comment that it is probably the shower enclosure. I had to reseal all the metal channel where it meets the fiberglass, sides and bottom. The water was following the lower metal track and running out in the back corner where that short wall is in the hall. If you look closely there is a hole there as well where the wiring comes up for all the switches and thermostat on the wall so the majority ended up under the shower and dripped out on the ground under the coach. It would also allow it to run on top of the vinyl depending on how the coach is tilted and if the vinyl wasn't cut clean around the hole. Take a shower, use a flashlight and see if water is back there, where the channel and base meet. Check the bottom corner by the vanity as well.

Re: Water leaks - EUREKA!!!

Reply #33
Yahoo Message Number: 8099
We found the leak, with a lot of detective work! We checked the shower caulking and it was all fine. It had been done recently on one of our "repairs" at Owasco. We checked that anyway, by sealing up the shower drain with duct tape and spraying the shower enclosure with water - nothing. Then dried everything out and poured water down the drain - nothing. Then thought it may have something to do with the hot water system. Turned on the hot water tank and DH felt a drip coming off the hot water pipe to the shower faucet.

We stuck a camera inside the hole under the pantry shelf and filmed the connection and filmed the water dripping off the elbow at the bottom of the pipe. Then he traced the water up the pipe. He opened the access panel in the pantry and felt water leaking out of the joint where the pipe joins the faucet. The winged nut was loose. So he tightened that. He had felt in there before but as the hot water heater was off, the pressure had not built up and the water was not leaking. The leaking only occurred when we showered as we only turn on the hot water tank when we shower!! Thanks to everyone for their help! What a great forum.

Praying that this is the end of the saga.....

Photos posted in my album. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/1540195846/pic/list

Reply #35
Yahoo Message Number: 8101
We found the leak, with a lot of detective work! We checked the shower caulking and it was all fine. It had been done recently on one of our "repairs" at Owasco. We checked that anyway, by sealing up the shower drain with duct tape and spraying the shower enclosure with water - nothing. Then dried everything out and poured water down the drain - nothing. Then thought it may have something to do with the hot water system. Turned on the hot water tank and DH felt a drip coming off the hot water pipe to the shower faucet.

We stuck a camera inside the hole under the pantry shelf and filmed the connection and filmed the water dripping off the elbow at the bottom of the pipe. Then he traced the water up the pipe. He opened the access panel in the pantry and felt water leaking out of the joint where the pipe joins the faucet. The winged nut was loose. So he tightened that. He had felt in there before but as the hot water heater was off, the pressure had not built up and the water was not leaking. The leaking only occurred when we showered as we only turn on the hot water tank when we shower!! Thanks to everyone for their help! What a great forum.

Praying that this is the end of the saga.....

Photos posted in my album. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/1540195846/pic/list
Congradulations: I have been following your postings the past few days and I'm very glad you found the culprit. Leaks are annoying, but once the problem has been discovered, the repairs are usually easy to fix. Glad you kept us all posted on the KODIAK site..russ

Reply #36
Yahoo Message Number: 8102
Good repairs and Info. I like the video. I helped Dane fix a leak in his kitchen sink at the Sweetheart rally last year. Took a while to find problem. Needed to get new fittings to fix problem.
My GS has access ports to the shower fittings. So far I have not had a problem. Hope it stays that way.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #38
Yahoo Message Number: 8104
Congratulations!!! I'll bet finally solving that problem feels great!!! Also, I love the idea of using a camera to see in hard to get at locations. Hadn't thought of that. I always just used a mirror. A camera is a great idea. That one is going into my little bag of tricks.

I agree. It's time for a drink.

Reply #39
Yahoo Message Number: 8105
Dee wrote:

We found the leak, with a lot of detective work!

I know that's a load off your mind, glad you found it.

We stuck a camera inside the hole under the pantry shelf and filmed the
connection and filmed the water dripping off the elbow

Okay, this is pure genius! I never thought of sliding one of my video
cams up inside some of these tight places. That's very good thinking.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #40
Yahoo Message Number: 8106
I use my cameras to do a lot of info collecting. Gets you to use features that you may not normally use. Like Macro and Video.
We took pictures of Gary's Converter and Inverter for wiring and part numbers in Elkhart last year. Hope he saved them.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: Water leaks - OH NO!

Reply #41
Yahoo Message Number: 8107
We woke up this morning and turned on the hot water heater and heard the pitter patter of tiny drips! Another leak! Easy to trace as it is from the hot water tap in the vanity. Took a picture and see that there is a winged nut up there too. Easy to tighten.

Yes, we did have a small celebration last evening. Hopefully we will have another one today!

Reply #42
Yahoo Message Number: 8108
FYI: The other 4 you need to watch are the ones near the floor under the kit slide. I check them every other time before I open the slide. Apparently as the slide goes in and out the hose has a tendency to twist and loosen them up.

Reply #43
Yahoo Message Number: 8109
That's the one Dane and I worked on in his MH.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #44
Yahoo Message Number: 8110
Thanks Dave. We will check those. We now know a whole lot more about the plumbing in a 35GS that we would like! New leak fixed easily. Just monitoring for a few days before we cancel the Camping World appointment.

Reply #46
Yahoo Message Number: 8112
When the slide is in you can see them by laying on the floor by the bath and looking under the kitchen slide.