Skip to main content
Topic: 2007 Dutchmen model 33K (Read 838 times) previous topic - next topic

2007 Dutchmen model 33K

Yahoo Message Number: 173

I packed my Dutchmen with about 500# of stuff, and drove it to Springfield, MO to have the front end aligned as per the instructions on the dash.

I had it weighed first, and found that the drivers side is still 1000+ lbs. heavier than the passenger side, and the alignment shop indicated they could not align the front end with such a weight distribution issue. Even with trying to balance the load, the drivers rear is still over legal limit.

I think this weight distribution issue is more important than the RV industry wants to admit, and from what I am reading, NHTSA also investigated the issue last year, and may be continuing to do so. I do not know the status of NHTSA's investigation, but I noticed that www. RVsafety.com recommends that the RV buyer actually weighs the RV BEFORE buying it, comparing the RV to a pair of shoes, stating that it is the BUYERS responsibility to be sure the weight distribution fits the needs of the buyer..... hmmmm...and who is funding the RVSafety.com web-site?

If the auto industry built a vehicle that was 1000# heavier on one side, I doubt that NHTSA would be telling us to weigh the vehicle before buying it!! I think it is the RV industry's responsibility to manufacture a safe and balanced product for the consuming public, but that is my personal opinion....other opinions would be appreciated. I think that weight distribution is important on the Jayco product as well, since I have seen some threads where the Jayco coach was leaning right/left as well.

I am NOT trying to be a warmonger, but I EXPECT to haul my wife and grandkids around in a safe to drive vehicle.

Denny

See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.

Re: 2007 Dutchmen model 33K

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 174
For most prospective purchasers being able to weigh all four corners is very difficult - if not impossible. The RV industry in publications and owners' manual harps on weight distribution and making sure you get your MH weighed.

Has anyone ever encountered an RV dealer that can weigh all four corners of a MH? Or even each axle? I've never heard of one so one might be inclined to believe it can't be that big an issue. But, what I really believe is that the reason dealers may not have scales is that they simply do NOT want to face the music they will hear when customers see how many weight problems exist. Makes me think that a term of sale should be a disclosure statement that includes all four corner weights that must be signed off by a buyer before completion of the transaction - and if they don't like what they see they can kill the deal.

Seems to me like Thor was not a good corporate citizen when it built your Dutchmen Denny.

Don

Re: 2007 Dutchmen model 33K

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 175
When I had my Endura weighed in August. Side to side weights were less
than 200lbs difference. Rear weight was over by 500lbs with full
water, fuel and packed for a trip. I suspected that this was the case
from the beginning. I have never put full water in our MH since the
first trip.
Are you sure your weights off that much? I had ours weighed on
portable scales on each axle.