Skip to main content
Topic: Pillar Procedure (Read 385 times) previous topic - next topic

Pillar Procedure

Yahoo Message Number: 2106

This post is way off the mark, but thought some of you may benefit from it... especially if you snore or suffer from sleep apnea. This afternoon I had the "Pillar Procedure," where three small threads of polyester were inserted into the soft palate in the back of my throat. I also had a turbinate reduction operation and repaired a septoplasty (repair of a diviated septum).

If you snore or have sleep apnea, you will want to check with your ENT about the pillar procedure. The procedure will "stiffen" your soft palate over a few weeks, and help to resolve mild sleep apnea, but more importantly, snoring. The turbinate reduction is for those who have enlarged turbinates and they obstruct your breathing. A diviated septum will also obstruct your airway.

Aside from a horrendous sore throat which should resolve by morning, the pillar procedure is painless, and can be performed in the ENT's office. If you google it, there is a bunch of info online. As far as the turbinate reduction, even with the splint in my nostrils, and the bandage over the nostrils, I can breathe 150% bettr than yesterday. If anyone wants more info, you can email me direct.

Denny

Stay up-to-date on the latest news - from fashion trends to celebrity break-ups and everything in between.