Skip to main content
Topic: Weight Distribution on Dutchmen (Read 785 times) previous topic - next topic

Weight Distribution on Dutchmen

Yahoo Message Number: 233

FWIW, the Missouri Highway Patrol came to my home this morning and did a four corner weigh-in on the coach. With the coach empty except for fuel, as defined on the Four Winds Motorhome Weight Specifications sheet posted in the coach, the actual UVW was 17,600# vs. 17,000 as posted on the sheet. The are 7 sleeping positions vs. 3 as posted, so the actual SCWR is 1078# vs. 462# as posted.

With the water added at 591#, I have an actual Cargo Carrying Capacity of 231#, and NOT the 1364# as posted on the specification sheet. If I attach my roadmaster tow bar, I lose another 56# CCC.

That leaves me with 175# of CCC to load into the coach....WITH empty black and gray tanks!! With an average of 2000 - 3000# of stuff placed in these coaches by the owners, most of us are running 18,000 lbs. on 13,500 lb axles!!

But that is the end of the story..... empty, the drivers side weighed 9700 lbs, the curbside weighed 7,900 lbs, for a difference of 1800 lbs. If I add water, the difference increases to almost 2400 lbs. If the black/gray tanks are one-half full, I have 3,000 lbs more on the drivers side than the curbside, or the weight of a small car. Let's see, now, I wonder why it leans 4" on the drivers side.....

Denny

See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.

Re: Weight Distribution on Dutchmen

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 235
It sure is not a heartwarming story. I must admit I prefer to take the CCC a manufacturer quotes and add back whatever they have used for sleeping positions and then I deduct the actual total weight of the three of us who will be travelling in the MH.

When we were buying I used Rich's (rmpvegas) weights in determining if their was adequate CCC - and there sure was. You MH has far less. How many people will travel in it?

I think the weight balance (or lack of balance) should be grounds for requiring the manufacturer to take it back. I don't think you can fix anything like this regardless of what you do to it.

Don