Skip to main content
Topic: Travelin' With Critters... (Read 1990 times) previous topic - next topic

Travelin' With Critters...

Yahoo Message Number: 3503
Those of you who travel with 4-footed furry ones will appreciate this one. When we got back yesterday afternoon after being out most of the day, the first thing I noticed when we pulled up to the campsite was that the front wheels were off the ground. After the initial shock wore off and we had time to puzzle out this dilemma, we finally figured out that one or more of our faithful guard-critters had inadvertently stood on the leveling jack buttons located on the small console next to the driver's seat.

The leveling jack control panel is now protected with a makeshift cover until we devise a more permanent solution.

Bill

Re: Travelin' With Critters...

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3504
When I had a diesel class A, my fur kid at the time, a rather petite cat woke up the whole campground at 1AM. I awoke to hearing the air horn going .. honk ... honk ... hoooonnnkkk ....

I ran up to the front of the coach and found her with a devilish look on her face, standing on the driver's seat, front paws on the steering wheel ...

After that incident, i made sure I completely bled the air tanks.

Sam

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, January 11, 2010 8:08:14 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Travelin' With Critters...

Those of you who travel with 4-footed furry ones will appreciate this one. When we got back yesterday afternoon after being out most of the day, the first thing I noticed when we pulled up to the campsite was that the front wheels were off the ground. After the initial shock wore off and we had time to puzzle out this dilemma, we finally figured out that one or more of our faithful guard-critters had inadvertently stood on the leveling jack buttons located on the small console next to the driver's seat.

The leveling jack control panel is now protected with a makeshift cover until we devise a more permanent solution.

Bill

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3505
that one or more of our faithful guard-critters had inadvertently stood
on the leveling jack buttons located on the small console next to the
driver's seat.

This is just too good :-) Years ago when we were towing a trailer our 16
yr old poodle jumped up on the arm rest of my van and hit the lock
button while we were standing outside. It was 95 and the van was running
with the a/c going so she was nice and cool while we sweltered in the
parking lot. My brother in law is a locksmith and he got quite a kick
out of it.

Greg

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 3509
Our fur kid kept stepping on the retract all button. Removed the between seat console. Built a box/step that has storage. Still had to add a cover for key pad out of Lexan. Best part of mod is the key pad is now oriented in same direction as jacks.
Picture

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 3511

My first cross country trip out found the lab stepping on the auto-level button as I was going down the road. I didn't know exactly what the beeping noise was and was scanning the instrument cluster, etc to try and ascertain why the alarm. I then noticed the leveling system was flashing and the pads were on their way down. I could not hit the correct button to stop the movement, so attempted to pull to the side of the road and was almost clear of the travel lane when the RV came to a stop as the stabilizers "dug in". I thought the damage was going to be nasty, but nothing was askew, the jacks didn't even move position, but I was already slowed and stopped immediately when I heard the metal to pavement sound. I was astounded that the jacks would actually work while the engine was running and the vehicle was in gear rolling down the highway. I put checking into the movement of the jacks with engine running on my to do list, but haven't got to that one yet. I have never been fooled by the jack alarm again, as that one is ingrained into my memory.
So the question is "Will the stabilizer jacks extend when the engine is running?" How does your operate?

Roger

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 3513

Is that correct Lou when you said the jacks only operate with the key in the "on" position? MY model is Four winds and the jacks are Equalizer.

Roger

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 3514
Its never crossed my mind to try and operate the jacks with the vehicle in gear. There is so many interlocks and relays in this thing I would think that is an error. I had my unit all leveled and noticed I forgot to roll up the cab window when I rolled the key forward the jacks automatically retracted, I learned to roll the key back to the ACC the next time i forgot the window. But hey RS1 you can just look at it as an extra emergency brake...

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 3515
On my GS the parking brake has to be applied. They won't even arm. How do the jacks come down when the MH is moving?
Denny

Sent: Tue, January 12, 2010 9:52:42 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Travelin' With Critters...

Its never crossed my mind to try and operate the jacks with the vehicle in gear. There is so many interlocks and relays in this thing I would think that is an error. I had my unit all leveled and noticed I forgot to roll up the cab window when I rolled the key forward the jacks automatically retracted, I learned to roll the key back to the ACC the next time i forgot the window. But hey RS1 you can just look at it as an extra emergency brake...

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 3516
The cabinet between seat is made to walk on. It was built with the thoughts of walking. The white lid is left over from a boat deck hatch project I made a few years ago.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 3517
Our GS has no interlocks for operating them except for a beeper that sounds if ignition is turned on and any of the jacks are not in the up position.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 3519

I'm with Dennis on our Jayco Seneca. The parking brake must be engaged and the engine must be running.
When the jacks are down and you start the engine and release the emergency brake, the jacks will automatically retract.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 3520

In a message dated 1/12/2010 10:28:37 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, ronjhall@... writes:
The cabinet between seat is made to walk on. It was built with the thoughts of walking.

+++ That was my guess.

The white lid is left over from a boat deck hatch project I made a few years ago.

+++ Is there a big hole in your boat now? lol

Lou

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 3523

Maybe I have the Navy version of RV's, and the jacks act as the tailhook for extra breaking like you say.

Roger

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 3524

...and you also have a four winds product don't you Denny? I would think they would all have similar interlocks. Mine is a 2007 box on 2006 C5500 chassis. I think I may have a relay/interlock issue, and I do not have to apply the parking brake. If I do turn the key to ignwith the jacks down, I do get the warning beep, so at least the portion of the system looking at the jacks works, but nothing happens or prevents me from starting.

Roger

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 3525

This appears to be how mine works also Ron......I have a four winds with Equalizer brand jacks.
Roger

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 3526
In addition to the parking brake being engaged, the ignition switch in the on position; the gear shift lever must be in park before any action occurs with the leveling system, at least that's how my 2008 Seneca operates. I have inadvertently started the vehicle and moved the gear shift lever from park to drive and the alarms immediately sounds and the jacks immediately retract. That is with still having the parking brake and foot brake on. Thank goodness for interlocks.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 3532
My 32SS Greyhawk did the same thing but Jayco fixed it so jacks will not retract in that situation. I was leaving the windows open all the time and was getting really PO'd when the jacks would retract.

Don

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 3533
Don wrote:

My 32SS Greyhawk did the same thing but Jayco fixed it so jacks will not
retract in that situation. I was leaving the windows open all the time
and was getting really PO'd when the jacks would retract.

Somebody here posted a fix for that a year ago or so. I remember because
I followed their instructions and fixed it so I can unlock the front
doors, turn on the key and roll the windows down, but if I pull the
emergency brake off, the jacks will retract. It's probably in the
archives someplace.

Naturally I just deleted all the saved emails from the list because I'm
in the process of moving from two old computers to one new one....the
big purge.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 3534
I have a Four Winds also with the Equalizer jacks and they will operate
without the key in the ignition at all. And our dog will happily step
on them and move the jacks up and down. One time even when I turned the
power off and he turned it back on. Fortunately, he only steps on them
when I have stepped out of the RV and he wants to watch me.

David

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 3535
It was discussed and someone did post the fix - which wires to reroute. I don't feel comfortable doing that so I had Jayco do it (since it was done wrong at the factory).

You can search all posts from the day I set up the group on the Yahoogroups web site.

Don

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 3537
Our 05 Seneca has the leveler's control panel on a small end table by the door (with the coach battery cutoff and awning controls). The levelers will not go down unless the ignition is in the run position, transmission in Park, and the parking brake set. - Our Seneca differs in what some have stated in that, you can turn the ignition to the run position without retracting the levelers. Our levelers will automatically retract only when the gear shifter is moved from the Park position.

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 3538
mine automaticaly retracts on putting the engine in gear.
Morrigan

Islam delenda est.

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:08:12 -0500
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Travelin' With Critters...

My first cross country trip out found the lab stepping on the auto-level button as I was going down the road. I didn't know exactly what the beeping noise was and was scanning the instrument cluster, etc to try and ascertain why the alarm. I then noticed the leveling system was flashing and the pads were on their way down. I could not hit the correct button to stop the movement, so attempted to pull to the side of the road and was almost clear of the travel lane when the RV came to a stop as the stabilizers "dug in". I thought the damage was going to be nasty, but nothing was askew, the jacks didn't even move position, but I was already slowed and stopped immediately when I heard the metal to pavement sound. I was astounded that the jacks would actually work while the engine was running and the vehicle was in gear rolling down the highway. I put checking into the movement of the jacks with engine running on my to do list, but haven't got to that one yet. I have never been fooled by the jack alarm again, as that one is ingrained into my memory.
So the question is "Will the stabilizer jacks extend when the engine is running?" How does your operate?

Roger

In a message dated 1/12/2010 9:26:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, ronjhall@comcast. net writes:

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 3539

Thanks Lou, it appears these things are working very differently even within the same manufacturing line.

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 3540
I have the Jayco Seneca. This is my proceedure. Parking brake set. The panel will not have power to operate unless the brake is set. #1 slides out. #2 key on eng. off. #3 control panel on and lights test. #4 level fore and aft. #5 level side to side. To retract. Brake set. Key on eng off. panel armed. hit retract button. Wait for jacks down light to go out. Turn panel off. Key off. I don't have to have the eng running. Retract slides. Just for kicks has anyone put their slides out after they have leveled up? I'l bet that for some it wasn't pretty. Just sayin.
Denny

Sent: Tue, January 12, 2010 1:55:07 PM

...and you also have a four winds product don't you Denny? I would think they would all have similar interlocks. Mine is a 2007 box on 2006 C5500 chassis. I think I may have a relay/interlock issue, and I do not have to apply the parking brake. If I do turn the key to ignwith the jacks down, I do get the warning beep, so at least the portion of the system looking at the jacks works, but nothing happens or prevents me from starting.

Roger

In a message dated 1/12/2010 1:17:02 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, dbrford43@yahoo. com writes:

Reply #28
Yahoo Message Number: 3542
My slides work alot smoother if I deploy them first. If they are in the locked out position they isn't a chance in my opinion that they will be twisted in some way. I always park on as even of ground as I can. My kitchen slide will rub on the aft wall trim if I deploy them last. I don't know why the eng has to be running to work the jacks. Maybe to not take the top charge of the battery. Never have had the eng running.
Denny

Sent: Tue, January 12, 2010 11:05:49 PM

In a message dated 1/12/2010 9:47:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, dbrford43@yahoo. com writes:

Reply #29
Yahoo Message Number: 3543
yeah, the manual does say level first and then slides out. I have been doing the other way around, I still use blocks under wheels on a occasion (old TT habit) and then slides out and then levelers (which I use more as stabilizers than levelers), the reason I am doing this way is, if I put the levelers down first when I push the slide out (the big one) a screeching noise will sound very loud, doing this way I do no noise.

The reason we are advised of doing this with the ignition on, is because both slide and levelers are wired on the truck battery not on the house's, it was like that on my minnie winnie and it is on the seneca as well.
thanks
Mo

Reply #30
Yahoo Message Number: 3544
GS manual calls for leveling first. Then put slides out. Always have to touch up side to side level after big front slide is put out.

Reply #31
Yahoo Message Number: 3545
If I don't level the 35GS first I have had the trim on the slide catch on the fridge cabinet even if slightly off level.
My coach also has stickers by the slide controls that say "level first".

Dave Sparke

Reply #32
Yahoo Message Number: 3602
the Equalizer jacks should only operate with no key in the ignition. Also the animal would have to switch on the jacks then the up/down buttons.

If you do turn off the power, the system will alarm. Mine does anyway all the time as one of the sensors seems to be bad.

Lost of trouibleshooting with the Equalizer system so far......I will post the whole thing and the findings when I get there.

Sent: Tue, January 12, 2010 2:47:50 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Travelin' With Critters...

I have a Four Winds also with the Equalizer jacks and they will operate
without the key in the ignition at all. And our dog will happily step
on them and move the jacks up and down. One time even when I turned the
power off and he turned it back on. Fortunately, he only steps on them
when I have stepped out of the RV and he wants to watch me.

David