Skip to main content
Topic: Speaking on air compressor (Read 1445 times) previous topic - next topic

Speaking on air compressor

Yahoo Message Number: 4026
I got a place close by now, that works on trucks and can install the Davis tru trac bar, I need to order, but they will install for 144 or so, which is reasonable.

They also can do air bags on the springs/suspesion for about 300, which I can probably squeezy in there.
What I do not think is reasonable is the air compressor/control board/automatic whatever for the air bags for 450 or so, question is do I really need that? The guy's argument was, if not it will be a pain to check fill air all the time, with the compressor and board remote control one can do from the cabin even driving which I am not sure we need that anyway.

I leaning towards doing the trac bar first drive a little to see if it is better and then put the air bags, but the question still remains, do I need the extra stuff?
thanks
Mo

Re: Speaking on air compressor

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4027
Interesting. I put a Davis Tru Trac on our first MH - Ford F53 2000 based Triple E. If the road was rough it didn't handle too bad. If it was windy you hung on but it was OK. BUT, if the road was rough and it was very windy - it scared the daylights out of DW. So, we had CW put on a DTT and it cost (from memory - this bill is back north) about $350. It did make a difference.

Now, on to the airbags. We had rear airbags on this MH. No onboard pump. So, periodically (like when checking tire pressures) I'd simply put the gauge on the valve for each of them and check the pressure in the bags. To increase or decrease manually was NOT a big job. The big question was "what pressure" to set them at. I usually had (from memory) about 50 psi.

If I were putting bags on my Greyhawk I would probably go for manual fill as I don't think it was a big issue.

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4028
I installed Ride-Rite air bags on my MH. Very happy with them. My MH came with a compressor and tank with it's exhaust brake. Just taped into main air line. Mounted a air gauge and switch to inflate or deflate inside cab. It is very convenient. But many air bag installs just have the sharader valves to inflate. Have the installer place the valves on the rear bumper for easy access. May require a little more plastic air line that what comes in the kit.
I also use my air compressor to inflate tires and run a set of air horns.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4029
Agree with Don, not a big deal.
We had air bags on two different truck/camper combinations without an onboard compressor.
We had this set up for about 17 years.
There was a fill valve (shrader valve) on each side.
For us it was not a big deal to manually fill them.
We carried our own small 12v compressor.
Our '07 Bigfoot came with the onboard compressor which is "nice to have", not a "need to have", in my opinion.
Jeff

-

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4031
Air horns. WOW. Almost forgot about those on our two DPs. Great to give a blast to those people who think they can come down an entry ramp at 40 mph, get into the lane for a minute or so and then step on it. That made me really understand how browned off truckers get at times and why.

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4032
Air horns are great. The horn provided by GM should be outlawed. When I hit the horn button, cell phone users drop their phones.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4034
Great help
Thank you guys for the info

And yes while in the shop might as well install air horns I would love to blast some sometimes
Mo
Sent on the Now Network� from my Sprint® BlackBerry

Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 9:25:35 -0400
To:
Cc: agilityaussies64
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Speaking on air compressor

Agree with Don, not a big deal.
 We had air bags on two different truck/camper combinations without an onboard compressor.
 We had this set up for about 17 years.
 There was a fill valve (shrader valve) on each side.
 For us it was not a big deal to manually fill them.
 We carried our own small 12v compressor.
 Our '07 Bigfoot came with the onboard compressor which is "nice to have", not a "need to have", in my opinion.
 Jeff

---- agilityaussies64 agilityaussie@ nc.rr.com> wrote:

I got a place close by now, that works on trucks and can install the Davis tru trac bar, I need to order, but they will install for 144 or so, which is reasonable.
 >
 > They also can do air bags on the springs/suspesion for about 300, which I can probably squeezy in there.
 > What I do not think is reasonable is the air compressor/control board/automatic whatever for the air bags for 450 or so, question is do I really need that? The guy's argument was, if not it will be a pain to check fill air all the time, with the compressor and board remote control one can do from the cabin even driving which I am not sure we need that anyway.
 >
 > I leaning towards doing the trac bar first drive a little to see if it is better and then put the air bags, but the question still remains, do I need the extra stuff?
 > thanks
 > Mo
 >

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4037
I have a Senco PC1010. Its a tiny AC compressor that has worked well for me for the air bags, or topping off a tire.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4041
Mo wrote:

I got a place close by now, that works on trucks and can install the
Davis tru trac bar,

Who did you find in the local area (Raleigh, NC) who will do the work for
you? I'd like to know for when I need someone.

Greg

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 4042
Attachments :

Greg,

The place is www.buildadiesel.com

8624 Barefoot Industrial Rd
    Raleigh, NC 27617
    (919)-784-0411  [img width=100% height=1]https://ec.yimg.com/ec?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.buildadiesel.com%2Fimages%2Fpixel_trans.gif&t=1571440872&sig=_vna4LiVRo8W__i2BPrztw--~E[/img]

when you call they answer Global...something

off 70 behind Carmax, I just talked to them on the phone last week, I am going out of town, when I come back I will order the trac bar and call them again, they suggested I buy the bar and they will install, it was his suggestion to make it cheaper.

Mo

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 4052
    Mo,

Let Davis know the type of differential you have. He tried 3 different brackets before finding the correct bolt pattern for mine, when we installed it at Quartzsite. You can probably get the info from your build sheet.

You will see a major change in handling.

Dan

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 4054
    I haven't gotten around to installing my trac bars yet. They're still sitting on the floor of the garage. I noticed when looking through the parts that it looks like they sent two different differential brackets in the package.

Reply #12
    Yahoo Message Number: 4055
    I didn't know they came in the box with two brackets. They just kept going into the tent and getting brackets until we had the correct type. My track bar came in a tent, not a box. :-)

Dan

Reply #13
    Yahoo Message Number: 4056
    I will keep this on my queue, I am out of the country right now, can check next week.
    however I had the conversation with the installer and also all the instructions on their website, and we agreed that the trac bar for the kodiak does not go on the differential, the workhorse chassis is the one that has attached to the differential.
    but i can check
    thanks
    mo
    ----

Reply #14
    Yahoo Message Number: 4057

Mo,

I helped "Davis" put the rear track bar on my Kodiak differential. You might be looking at the front axle installation. Both work well.

Dan

Reply #15
    Yahoo Message Number: 4186
    Dan,

I checked the build up sheet and only information about the house is on it, where do I find the info regarding the differential?
    thanks
    Mo

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 4190
    Mo, I've attached my build sheets for my Kodiak and Tahoe so you can see the info provided. I'm scratching my head as to which sheet you are looking at if you have house info on it. Sure can't be the GM build sheet.

Don

Reply #17
    Yahoo Message Number: 4193
    Mo . . . You must be thinking of the motorhome spec sheet from the coach builder (i.e. Jayco).

You need to look at the build sheet from GM. If you don't have one, "Dieselplace" website is great for checking your Kodiak's history and build sheet for free. Go to this link, sign in to the forum and give them your VIN number. Ask for a VIN check AND build sheet. The first provides additional recall type info. The second (the build sheet) is the "map" they used as your truck went down the assembly line. The diesel forum is run by volunteers, so it can take up to a week for your answer--well worth the wait.

Here's the link-->http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72

George

Reply #18
    Yahoo Message Number: 4194
    You probably have the 15,000 lbs axle on your MH. Build Code is HD1 or the heavier HPK. The build code for the Kodiak I have is for 2009. I do not this was changed going back to my 2004. Here is a link to the info. 2009 medium duty truck online order sheet . Your build code list is on headliner above driver side sunvisor. Have you ever done the VIN request on Diesel Place VIN Check Request ? This will give you all the info for your Kodiak Chassis.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Re: Speaking on air compressor [1 Attachment]

Reply #20
    Yahoo Message Number: 4196
    Don
    You are right I do not have that , I have Jayco build up sheet.
    I got some other messages telling me how to get it.
    I will do it.
    thanks
    Mo

Reply #21
    Yahoo Message Number: 4200
    If you don't want to join Diesel Place you can try your local GM dealer who can pull up the same thing on his screen and have him email it to you. Or, as Ron suggested, McCormick will likely do that for you. DP cost was nothing when I joined. I don't have a diesel so I rarely look in their now.

Don