Skip to main content
Topic: Allure flooring project (Read 691 times) previous topic - next topic

Allure flooring project

Yahoo Message Number: 4696
In between helping my 91 year old mother and other family events. I have been able to complete a project that I wanted to get done for a couple of years. Replace the cheap flooring and carpeting that was installed in our Endura. Installed Allure vinyl/laminate flooring. I first stripped out all the original vinyl flooring and carpeting. Not a big job. But it has been warm here for a couple of weeks. Was wearing shorts. The staples that hold everything in place scratched my legs and arms up. I looked like I had gone threw a blackberry patch.
Bought 7 boxes of Allure flooring from Home Depot . A RV friend came over. Him and I spent a day installing the floor. After I recovered from the install I bought 80' of Oak trim. Cut and fit out the whole MH for trim. Made trim strips in areas that did not require wall trim. But still needed to retain flooring. This is a floating floor that is not tacked or glued to floor. Cost for this project is less than $400. I was quoted by a couple of different RV places in Elkhart $3500 to over $ 4000. We still need to replace carpeting in slide. It will wait until next year. We are happy with the install. I have a lot of pictures that show the whole project. But have only posted pictures of the completed project . If anyone wants more pictures or info please ask.
Next project is to outline Seminars for rally.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: Allure flooring project

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4697
, "ronjhallsr"  wrote:
In between helping my 91 year old mother and other family events. I have
been able to complete a project that I wanted to get done for a couple
of years. Replace the cheap flooring and carpeting that was installed in
our Endura. Installed Allure vinyl/laminate flooring. I first stripped
out all the original vinyl flooring and carpeting. Not a big job. But it
has been warm here for a couple of weeks. Was wearing shorts. The
staples that hold everything in place scratched my legs and arms up. I
looked like I had gone threw a blackberry patch.
Bought 7 boxes of Allure flooring from Home Depot
 0051&N=+500139+4217+90401&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&cm_sp=Trafficmaster_\
brand_page-_-fragment_1-_-Trafficmaster_Plank-_-shop_now> . A RV friend
came over. Him and I spent a day installing the floor. After I recovered
from the install I bought 80' of Oak trim. Cut and fit out the whole MH
for trim. Made trim strips in areas that did not require wall trim. But
still needed to retain flooring. This is a floating floor that is not
tacked or glued to floor. Cost for this project is less than $400. I was
quoted by a couple of different RV places in Elkhart $3500 to over $
4000. We still need to replace carpeting in slide. It will wait until
next year. We are happy with the install. I have a lot of pictures that
show the whole project. But have only posted pictures of the completed
project
 5/pic/309498929/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=41&count=20&di\
r=asc> . If anyone wants more pictures or info please ask.
Best
Ron Hall

Wow! Great job, Ron! Let me know when you have some spare time and I'll send you a plane ticket to come and do mine. :-)

-Tom

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4698
Ron,

outstanding job, I am jealous now.

did you have to remove a lot of stuff, meaning, toilet, chairs etc???
a sales man once argue that the slide would not work properly, i have seen over and over people doing what you did with no problem, do you agree?

thanks
Mo

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4699
Wow! Great Job.

I have said it before - Ron, You're the man!

Any tough spots? If you had to do it again, what would you do different or learn? Love to see a during shot if you've got one or two?

Kevin

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:32 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Allure flooring project

In between helping my 91 year old mother and other family events. I have been able to complete a project that I wanted to get done for a couple of years. Replace the cheap flooring and carpeting that was installed in our Endura. Installed Allure vinyl/laminate flooring. I first stripped out all the original vinyl flooring and carpeting. Not a big job. But it has been warm here for a couple of weeks. Was wearing shorts. The staples that hold everything in place scratched my legs and arms up. I looked like I had gone threw a blackberry patch.
Bought 7 boxes of Allure flooring from Home Depot . A RV friend came over. Him and I spent a day installing the floor. After I recovered from the install I bought 80' of Oak trim. Cut and fit out the w hole MH for trim. Made trim strips in areas that did not require wall trim. But still needed to retain flooring. This is a floating floor that is not tacked or glued to floor. Cost for this project is less than $400. I was quoted by a couple of different RV places in Elkhart $3500 to over $ 4000. We still need to replace carpeting in slide. It will wait until next year. We are happy with the install. I have a lot of pictures that show the whole project. But have only posted pictures of the completed project . If anyone wants more pictures or info please ask.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4700
Ron, my compliments, too! It is a very nice warm look with the Allure/carpet combination. Thanks for posting the pictures. It is always interesting to see someone elses projects.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4701
Hmm, a trip to CA this winter?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4702
I removed the toilet. Required taking 2 nuts and a water line. Then plug hole to avoid fumes in MH. Dissembled the bed frame that covers rear slide mechanism. Removed furniture that was in living area. Will post pictures of the cleared areas.
I made a trim edge that covers edge of flooring where it meets the slide. There is a 3/8" drop from slide flooring to new flooring. Will post a picture of the transition trim. When I was at the FMCA rally last May. Talked to several vendors and fellow owners that do/have done this type of work. I also have friends that paid a dealer to put Allure in their Country Coach MH. It was done 3 years ago and still looks great.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4703
Toughest spot was doing the bathroom and blending and joining edges to bedroom flooring. If I did this again I would use a transition piece of trim like I did between Living room and bedroom.
My friend that helped with flooring suggested that I use 1/2 X 3/4" trim. Looks a lot better than the 2/4" quarter round that I was going to use. Beyond that it was very straight forward job.
Posted more pictures.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4704
The carpeting is a open issue. Dear Wife has other plans for this part of project. Current carpeting is from before new flooring. Will raise project cost above my $400 limit. ;;)
Maybe I should offer to buy her a nice pair of slippers. #-o
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 4705
I have to say every time I read the details and view photos of one of your projects I end up exhausted. I don't know where you find the energy for this work Ron but I'd sure like to have even half as much. Since I was born with five thumbs on each hand I wouldn't even consider a undertaking a project of this magnitude.

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 4710
Well I do get reminded of my age whenever I do one of these projects. Being way closer to 70 than I want to admit. I get reminded of my limitations in the middle of every project. 4 hours jobs seem to take closer to 8 hours. I am glad that I have time to do these mods. When I was still working many projects did not get finished because of lack of time.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 4711
Ron . . . Nice job. Did you need to jack up the slideouts to get the flooring underneath? How did you do that? Since you installed as a floating floor, aren't you concerned that the slideouts will push the floor back and forth when the rooms move in and out?

George

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 4712
I did not have to jack up the slide. Just ran it out all the way and folded back carpeting to get access to flooring. In one of the pictures I posted you will see the trim that I made to retain flooring just inside of slide bracket. It clears flooring by 1/32" on top and 1/4" towards slide.
Slide does not touch flooring when fully in or out. But will rock and touch flooring when moving in and out. This happened when there was carpet on floor. It made marks in the carpeting. I have a pair of Lippert flooring protectors that I place on floor to protect flooring when slide is moving in and out.
Best
Ron Hall