Skip to main content
Topic: On the way to Elkhart (Read 1920 times) previous topic - next topic

On the way to Elkhart

Yahoo Message Number: 4798
To Ron and all the group................
We left Cartersville Ga after spending the night at Alltoona Lake. We
were on I-24 heading north towards Nashville in the mountains (for use
of a better word) outside of Chattanooga at mile marker
137 going up the grade when it sounded like a bomb went off under the
hood. At first I thought What the Hell did I hit.. then I looked out
the mirror and saw debris coming out the bottom of unit.
The noise in the engine wasn't right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We pulled off to
the side of the grade and called for Emergency Road Service. Two and
half hours later we were pulled into
Manchester Tn and the checkout to see what was wrong. Apparently the
fan blades disintegrated and also took out the fan shroud. Looks like
the radiator was spared any damage, we are waiting for
the Extended Warranty to decide if they are going to cover the damage
and fix it, currently we are at Hampton Inn waiting on parts to show up
(hopefully) and the fix it decision.

Hopefully we will be able to get back on the road and get to Elkhart
before everyone has left !!!!!!!
Will let you know as we find out

Gary Myers

Re: On the way to Elkhart

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4799
Oh, man! Bummer ... hope the EW covers it for you and you're back on the road without loosing too much time.

My wife and I, on our maiden trip had the alternator fail in Brunswich, GA back in April this year. Nice people there, and we got back on the road after about 14 hours (breakdown was at 2am).

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4800
We'll keep our fingers crossed for you Gary. I've been up that hill at Mont Eagle a couple of times and my gasser sure rev's away with the fan blowing like made.

Hope they can do a quick fix.

Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4810
Hope you get it fixed soon. If it was my Kodiak. I would clear all the debris out of the way. Including removing the fan. Then drive it. Do not need the fan for speeds above 40 mph. Well maybe for a steep incline.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5387
I had the same thing in august happen to me, took out the radiator, fan shroud, hose, belt, Fan, and a wire bundle had a plastic piece stuck in it. I have filed a NHTSA report and recommend you do too. Takes minutes and adds to their database. I was told this never happens but you are the third one I have found is a short search. There was one back in May 09. Mine was on a down hill, May's was at a stoplight , stepped on the gas and it blew. Hae to think if someone was working on an engine, manually reving the motor and it came apart... mained or dead. I have only 24500 miles, 2006. Should not have happened.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5393
The mechanic that worked on it said that now they have changed to
plastic fans and this isn't as unusual as one would think, on large
diesels have plastic fans and same results

seand1109 wrote:

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5396
Didn't realize this conversation was on both RV Net and here. Just checked here after a couple days. As I posted on RV Net mine sure looks like nylon and does not have the outer ring on the fan blades. Chassis was built 12/07..Either GM changed or where the engine came from determined what fan blade.

Dave Sparke

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 5397
I am spreading the word... some folks are not on both...

Thanks Dave for the posts

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 5398

Sean, Hopefully some of our members with late 08, 09 and 10 model years will also look and chime in.

Dave Sparke

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 5399
Thanks, I am sure all of us with older models will appreciate it! I will surely demonstrate my appreciation when and if our paths cross and we are safely parked for the night with a beverage of choice on my tab or from my fridge.

Sean

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 5400
I just finished doing the report and sending off into cyberspace !!

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 5401
Great. Having learned today that GM changed fans in later models makes me wonder why and your mechanics comment, I am sure the report will bare change some day. As I stated on RV NET I am not looking for litigation, I am looking for GM to do the right thing, Change the tech/owner manuals and recognise there is a problem with the fan. The rest will come in due course. In the mean time, I hope everyone will use a light and examine the fan for signs of stress cracks where the blade meets the outer ring of the fan, no more damage anyones rigs and no one is standing in the way, mechanic, owner or bystander is maimed or killed by the projectiles.

Lastly there is a warm place in my heart for ya for doing the right thing and a cold beverage of choice in my fridge for if we shall ever cross paths. Safe(r) journeys!

Sean

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 5404
picture posted at RV net, for our 2010 Seneca,

how to post pic here?

don

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 5405
Saw the RV net photos and they changed the fan shroud design as well.. I do not know how to post photos here yet.

Sean

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 5409
I am learning that the later models have different fans and fan shrouds.. maybe they have other reasons or they know the fan design on the earlier models are defective/poor

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 5412
Just upload them to our photos section and then let us know by posting the link.

Don

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 5419
Link to Don's photos posted in our files section:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/423304712/pic/854878169/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/423304712/pic/854878169/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=ascAnd if this works, here are the two photos he added yesterday (if they don't show then click on the link above):

Kodiak+fan+pictures+004+(Medium).jpg

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 5423
Link to Don's photos posted in our files section:

I'm a day late and dollar short on this thread, but I went and looked at
mine today and the fan is a black plastic of some sort and there is a
ring attached to the end of the blades.

2007 Jayco Greyhawk 32SS (gasser)

Take care,
Greg

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 5424
Don,

IT WORKED !!!

now how did you post those pictures?

don

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 5425
OK, I need a little clarification on this fan matter. I have been trying to keep up with this thread but I am not clear on something. Have most of these exploding fans been on diesel or gas Kodiaks or both? Also have they been with plastic fans or metal? My 07 Jayco 32SS gasser (like Ron's) has a black plastic fan. My chassis was made in October of 2006 and the unit itself was made by Jayco in December of 2006. As I said, my fan is black plastic with a ring connecting the blade tips all the way around. This could be a "mell of a hess" as the old saying goes. Very expensive and dangerous. Thanks.

Mike Furr

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 5426
Mike hate to tell you you have what sounds like the same fan as I had come apart...but mine is a diesel and so far as I can tell no gassers yet...If you can take a flashlight and look at where the blade meets the ring to check for small stress cracks. let us know what you find

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 5427
Thanks, I will look tomorrow when the light is good for cracks. I know when the engine really has a load on it the fan sounds like 10 thousand bees coming wide open and it pulls a lot of air. It has to be a lot of "stress" and twisting on the blades.

Mike