Skip to main content
Topic: PTO left on by mistake (Read 880 times) previous topic - next topic

PTO left on by mistake

Yahoo Message Number: 4949

Hello all,

Had to get this one out in case someone has the same symptons:

Idles at 1000RPM instead of 650
Can not go over 50 MPH
Cruse control "slips" in less than a minute and does not hold set speed.

"Wayne" in Bozeman MT, at JC Billion truck repair (888-229-4450) helped me out on the phone with this problem......Said he has seen it many times. Reaching for the Exhust brake I turned on the PTO switch by mistake.

Take care

Joe

Re: PTO left on by mistake

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4950
What is a PTO switch?

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Fri Jul 30 21:57:44 2010
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] PTO left on by mistake

Hello all,

Can not go over 50 MPH
Cruse control "slips" in less than a minute and does not hold set speed.

"Wayne" in Bozeman MT, at JC Billion truck repair (888-229-4450) helped me out on the phone with this problem..... .Said he has seen it many times. Reaching for the Exhust brake I turned on the PTO switch by mistake.

Take care

Joe

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4951

Ian,
opps, that is the Power Take Off switch...on the diesel it would be used to power auxiliary equipment standing still. A fire truck would use it to pump water. It is not used in the MH application, and should be off.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4952
Does my seneca have one?

Sent: Fri Jul 30 22:15:54 2010
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] PTO left on by mistake

Ian,
opps, that is the Power Take Off switch...on the diesel it would be used to power auxiliary equipment standing still. A fire truck would use it to pump water. It is not used in the MH application, and should be off.

Climbing Hills

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4953
Yesterday, this Florida boy finally climbed some long Montana grades with my new (to me) '07 Seneca diesel. I have a couple questions about how to best get up those long mountain grades . . . Do you press the overdrive lock out switch, or just let the transmission decide? Is locking out the overdrive any different than shifting from "D" to "3"? How high do you let your Duromax rev when climbing?

What's your mountain grade climbing routine?

George

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4954
Ian, I don't know for sure, but it has an icon of a chassis with the front wheels turned in one direction. Best bet is to look in the Chassis manual. I have the rocker switch toooo close to the Exhaust Brake.......as I mentioned.
Good luck
Joe --- On Sat, 7/31/10, Ian Eisenberg  wrote: From: Ian Eisenberg Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] PTO left on by mistakeTo: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com" Date: Saturday, July 31, 2010, 12:03 AM
Does my seneca have one?
From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com To: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com Sent: Fri Jul 30 22:15:54 2010Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] PTO left on by mistake
Ian,
 opps, that is the Power Take Off switch...on the diesel it would be used to power auxiliary equipment standing still. A fire truck would use it to pump water.  It is not used in the MH application, and should be off.--- On Fri, 7/30/10, Ian Eisenberg  wrote: From: Ian Eisenberg Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] PTO left on by mistakeTo: "KodiakChassisClass C@yahoogroups. com" Date: Friday, July 30, 2010, 11:02 PM
What is a PTO switch?
From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com To: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com Sent: Fri Jul 30 21:57:44 2010Subject: [KodiakChassisClass C] PTO left on by mistake
Hello all,
 Can not go over 50 MPH Cruse control "slips" in less than a minute and does not hold set speed.
"Wayne" in Bozeman MT, at JC Billion truck repair (888-229-4450) helped me out on the phone with this problem..... .Said he has seen it many times. Reaching  for the Exhust brake I turned on the PTO switch by mistake.
Take care
Joe

Re: Climbing Hills

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4955
Kick off the overdrive, rev to 3000, and hit the hill at a descent speed. Down shift if needed

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4956
Ditto:
Well, I did the climbs of North I5 by Shasta today. So you get some good climbs and some steep descents as well. I turned on the exhaust break, set the cruise for 50 (towing the jeep at 4800 lbs) shut off the Overdrive, and sat back. I only had to intervene a couple of times. One descent was too steep, so I had to slow under 50 to get down to 3rd. A couple of times I switched overdrive back on while we were in some flat spots.
Check out the "overheating" post from VVBurns for what happens if you red line. So I kept an eye on the temperature indicator, and shut off the AC when it looked to be a bit warm on one climb. Not sure it made any difference but I did not want to suffer the dreaded "reduce power" mode.
Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim Garver
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 10:17 PM
Cc: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Climbing Hills

Kick off the overdrive, rev to 3000, and hit the hill at a descent speed. Down shift if needed

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4957
A motor home chassis should not have one. It is not a option. That being said, The RV manufactures would take any Kodiak/Topkick chassis that they could build a motor home on when there was a shortage of the MH chassis.
You can get the info you need here. 2009 Medium Duty Truck online order sheet
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 4958
I turn off the cruise control on long hills. Shut off OD then try to keep RPM's about 2500. If I cannot maintain 50 MPH. Then I down shift to 3rd gear. Need to be below 45 to get into this gear. Usually that will get me over most passes on the Interstates.
Watch engine and trans temperatures. Try to keep them below 235 degrees. If they get higher, then choose lower gear and increase RPM's.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 4963
Ron, Kevin, Tim . . . Thanks for your replies. It looks as if I am doing the right thing, turning off the OD and keeping the revs about 2500. The Seneca does a pretty good job climbing and descending long grades even though I'm pulling a 4800 LB load (Ranger 4x4 pickup with motorcycle and loader).

George

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 4964

Sounds like good advice for all you Duramax guys, how about for us 8.1L gassers?

Just made the trek southbound over the I-5 Grapevine in Calif. last week. Relatively cool outside temperatures (mid 80's) and not towing. Within about a mile up the grade my engine and transmission temperature rose rather quickly to about 235 degrees or so? (difficult to read the gauge scale). I am concerned that if I was towing my boat or Wrangler, and the temperature was a normal 90 - 95 degrees, would I have overheated.

Any thoughts on the Speed/RPM's for a gas engine? Has anyone installed additional cooling system equipment (i.e.,aux. transmission coolers, oil coolers, larger radiator, etc)?

Thanks,
Rob

Fourwinds 8.1L

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 4965
In order to get max torque out of the 8.1 you need to be running at least 2,800 RPM's. Torque stays flat until about 3,600 RPM's. Then drops off some when max HP is reached at 4,000 RPM's. For max pulling up a hill/mountain you should try to hold 3,000 to 3,800 RPM's. This will also help engine and trans run cooler.
You can see the power curve for your engine by going to the 2009 Medium Duty Truck Online Order . Scroll the engine LRW. Click on it. This will bring up the engine info. One of the options is Power Curve.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 4966

Got it Ron, thanks. Also looks like the is an option for an auxiliary transmission cooler. I will check my build sheet to see if it was added. If not, I wonder who would be good to install one? Any suggestions?

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 4967
Most truck shops can do it. I believe that most of the MH chassis came with the cooler. It is a small cooler at top of radiator opening. Easy to see behind grill.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 4969
My 8.1L Greyhawk 32SS (2007) has the HD transmission cooler.

Don

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 4970
I just point mine uphill and let the cruise control handle almost all of it. I will sometimes take it out of overdrive which is different that droping down a gear on the shifter which by the way I would never do. The motor, while it seems not to rev in the diesel should stay pretty close to the sweet spot for making torque unlike an old school gas motor that would rev to 5000 rpm. I rarely see over 2500 and more like 2200 on my fully loaded chassis pulling a car.

Sent: 30 July, 2010 9:05 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Climbing Hills

Yesterday, this Florida boy finally climbed some long Montana grades with my new (to me) '07 Seneca diesel. I have a couple questions about how to best get up those long mountain grades . . . Do you press the overdrive lock out switch, or just let the transmission decide? Is locking out the overdrive any different than shifting from "D" to "3"? How high do you let your Duromax rev when climbing?

What's your mountain grade climbing routine?

George

|  | Reply via web post | http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcWFuZTdlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIwMzY3NDYyBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTEyNjE4NQRzZWMDZnRyBHNsawNudHBjBHN0a

[The entire original message is not included]

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 4971
If your trans temp guage showsvit is getting hot i would. Mine stays at almost the bottom of the guage even climbing a big grade. It show higher temps driving around town

Sent: 31 July, 2010 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Climbing Hills

Got it Ron, thanks. Also looks like the is an option for an auxiliary transmission cooler. I will check my build sheet to see if it was added. If not, I wonder who would be good to install one? Any suggestions?

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 4972
And the really cool thing is when using cruise control and exhaust brake set your CC 5 MPH slower than you want to go downhill and let the exaust brake, transmisson and throttle manage your entire descent

Sent: 31 July, 2010 3:00 PM

Ron, Kevin, Tim . . . Thanks for your replies. It looks as if I am doing the right thing, turning off the OD and keeping the revs about 2500. The Seneca does a pretty good job climbing and descending long grades even though I'm pulling a 4800 LB load (Ranger 4x4 pickup with motorcycle and loader).

George

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 4973
My beloved 06 duramax takes care of itself on grades. The transmission is built for self preservation. However I do 4 things, carefully watch tach, watch tranny temp, exhaust gas temp. and engine temp. / oil pres. These are crutial indicators! they determin when I get involved, which is rare, depending on grade. We go to Colorado through summer and hurricane season in Fla., which is home. Driven all over the Rockies up to Canada not to mention all the Cal. climbes for years in temps from -10 to+110 no problems. I watch these 4 things and intervene when necesary.

Down hill grades, exhaust brake has a job to do, use short firm braking (brakes are last resort) to decrease speed then shifrt to lower gear. All the time watching the big 4.... Remember when approaching bottom of grade or a time when you can coast let things cool down..... 235f tops on trans temp...1350f on EGT.....3500rpm max. I have checked all 4 brakes at the bottom of several steep grades with non-contact pyro nothing +150f over ambient ever seen. This Endura is maxed out on max combined weight, as how we live in it for nearly 6-8 months at times.

Sent: Sun, August 1, 2010 10:25:06 AM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Climbing Hills

And the really cool thing is when using cruise control and exhaust brake set your CC 5 MPH slower than you want to go downhill and let the exaust brake, transmisson and throttle manage your entire descent

To: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: Climbing Hills

George

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 4974
My brake/trans must be different in the 2007....it keeps speed steady with EB and trans as needed..i.e. It downshifts as needed.

Sent: 01 August, 2010 10:39 AM

My beloved 06 duramax takes care of itself on grades. The transmission is built for self preservation. However I do 4 things, carefully watch tach, watch tranny temp, exhaust gas temp. and engine temp. / oil pres. These are crutial indicators! they determin when I get involved, which is rare, depending on grade. We go to Colorado through summer and hurricane season in Fla., which is home. Driven all over the Rockies up to Canada not to mention all the Cal. climbes for years in temps from -10 to+110 no problems. I watch these 4 things and intervene when necesary.

Down hill grades, exhaust brake has a job to do, use short firm braking (brakes are last resort) to decrease speed then shifrt to lower gear. All the time watching the big 4.... Remember when approaching bottom of grade or a time when you can coast let things cool down..... 235f tops on trans temp...1350f on EGT.....3500rpm max. I have checked all 4 brakes at the bottom of several steep grades with non-contact pyro nothing +150f over ambient ever seen. This Endura is maxed out on max combined weight, as how we live in it for nearly 6-8 months at times.

Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: Climbing Hills

George

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 4977
Down hill, foot off accelerator speed building, cruise off, E/B working, brake to reduce speed as needed and shift down manually to maintain reasonable safe speed. watch your gauges lots of stuff turning.

Uphill mine is same as yours of course. Cruise has to be off. Never have locked out the o/d it normally does it itself. I shift to required gear to maintain speed, but if it bad enough to pull to the side due to excess on the 4 gauges I'll pull it over and cool it off, and pick up from there. Have had to go to slow truck lane but this is an extreme.

Sent: Sun, August 1, 2010 1:52:27 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Climbing Hills

My brake/trans must be different in the 2007....it keeps speed steady with EB and trans as needed..i.e. It downshifts as needed.

Sent: 01 August, 2010 10:39 AM

Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClass C] Re: Climbing Hills

George