Skip to main content
Topic: Air Ride (Read 750 times) previous topic - next topic

Air Ride

Yahoo Message Number: 4975
Hey gang,
Well, after the last two trips over our lovely highways out here, I have had it. I am tired of feeling like my investment is going to fall apart around me. I think I want to invest in an Air Ride suspension (not air bags). Have any of you added one, like the Link or Kelderman kits? Are there any other ones for the Kodiak out there?

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Air Ride

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4976
Bill, go to our files section http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/files/Kodiak /

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/files/Kodiak%20/Go down to the bottom of the page and select UR GM 5500 HD.pdf

These are not the run of the mill airbags and they are not cheap.

As a matter of interest, a couple of weeks ago when I was getting work done at McCormick Chev in Nappanee, I suggested that the Kodiaks should have had airbags installed as standard equipment for motorhomes. Two problems - cost - $5k (so, you can see they were not really considering Firestone/Riderite type of bag (which I'm likely going to put on but rather the UR's. Second (I'm reading between the lines here) they also implied that the Kodiak was set up to be soft. Fine, but as you point out, on rough highways you can also bounce around a lot and it is no fun.

Do let us know what you get.

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4978
Thanks Don.
The link you provided was to the Link system I was considering.
The Kelderman kit also looks like it would work well, at $2200 plus installation it is not cheap, but not outragous either.
Was on I40 heading out to AZ last month, one section near Newberry Springs was so bad, it shook a exterior screw loose, which held some trim in place. Had to drive in the left lane when traffic would allow. Then yesterday coming up I5 through LA and Santa Clarita, I had enough. Just have to convince the wife to let me spend that kind of dinero.
Thanks for the link to the Link. :)
Bill

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4986
Bill,

I may have missed this link but are you running koni shocks? I have the 08 Seneca MS and switched to Koni early. I worked with Koni when there was a situation that came up about the correct rear shocks. They have made a change in their suggested shock considering the spring type on your RV. I know this helps but obviously on a bad road I can feel it.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4987
Tim,
Thanks for responding.
Yes, I have had the Koni shocks for a while now, at least 1.5 years. They made a big difference in the ride, I do love them. But they are firm, which I like, but on these bad sections of road they do not help.
I know it is a truck and I can not expect a DP kind of ride. I have read that some of the people who got the International chassis went to an air ride. Hoping it would help us.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4989
So, if I follow right, there is really no great aftermarket solution to take the edge off rough roads for kodiak gassers?
I have an 07 kodiak chassis, 8.1L gas, with an 08 gulfstream conquest coach.
I'm good with the handling, just hate the 12.5 magnitude coach earthquakes on rough roads....
Todd

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 5:27 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Air Ride

Tim,
Thanks for responding.
Yes, I have had the Koni shocks for a while now, at least 1.5 years. They made a big difference in the ride, I do love them. But they are firm, which I like, but on these bad sections of road they do not help.
I know it is a truck and I can not expect a DP kind of ride. I have read that some of the people who got the International chassis went to an air ride. Hoping it would help us.

--- In , Tim Garver  wrote:
Bill,

I
may have missed this link but are you running koni shocks? I have the 08 Seneca MS and switched to Koni early. I worked with Koni when there was a situation that came up about the correct rear shocks. They have made a change in their suggested shock considering the spring type on your RV. I know this helps but obviously on a bad road I can feel it.
Sent from Tim
Garver's iPhone

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4990
I do not think you will find a good fix for the rough road ride of the Gas or Diesel MH's. It's the nature of the beast.
On Diesel Place some MD truck owners have put 22.5" tires on their trucks. The claim is that the larger diameter smooths out the ride. Also a lower tire pressure could be run for a better ride.
Not something I am going to try but another thought.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4996
Ron,
Thanks for the reply. I respect your opinion very much. I believe you have had your coach a little longer then I (November 04) and have done more mods, and shared a lot of good info. I really appreciate it.
Have you heard that the Kelderman system does not help much? They have one specifically for our coach, actually two, one for the front and one for the rear. I do not want to fork out that kind of deniro if it will not do what I am looking for.
I have contacted Kelderman, will share their response. Might be after I get back from a short outing to Lake Casitas though, not sure if there is internet access there.
Thanks,
Bill

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4997
My Endura is older than yours. But I bought it used in April of 2006.
There have been several comments about the Kelderman and Link air ride. Both work. But on the DP MD forum these are installed on conversions trucks. Monroe, Laredo, Chariot and other converters. These are short wheelbase trucks that do not have a load on rear at all times. They need the air ride, air cab, and air seats to make them drivable. Some owners still complain about ride.
I have driven on CA roads. They are bad. Thought MI roads were bad. But CA takes the lead. I still did not feel I needed to improve ride. Speed has a lot to do with ride. We stay under 65 MPH Closer to 60 most of the time. I have upgraded my rear tire size to 245's F load range. Seems to have helped. Other improvements are Firestone air bags, Bilstien shocks and yellow scrubbers. Also put the upgraded sway bar on front. Each of these upgrades have helped ride and handling. I have heard that Koni shocks make the ride rougher. But I cannot give this info from experience.
Best
Ron Hall